Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: It's as good a time as any for this
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This year I'm going to plan for victory.

I've spent far too long to get where I'm at. I'm 28, with an below-average draughtsmanship. I'm not terrible, but I'm certainly not where I'd like to be to get the jobs. The past, its regrets and victories, its feel-good-man's and its im-a-loser times are behind me. They were necessary to get me where I'm standing right now: right in front of the games of Crimson Daggers. Now, thanks for the ride, but I'm planning to go beyond!

I'm going to create a possible yet highly ambitious goal this year. And I'm going public, dears. Let it be said and set here to posterity that I will fulfil my dreams through hard work.

(By the way, I'll be using the SMART system :Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time based) for goal setting. More info here: http://www.quirkology.com/UK/Experiment_...tion.shtml)

My goal is: GET A JOB I REALLY ENJOY (aka: related to illustration, preferably to do with fantasy, science fiction, comics, books or film)

For that, I need to meet 3 sub-goals.
  • Improve my skills
  • Get a better portfolio
  • Get known around
Every week I'll strive to get something done in all three sub-goals. Sunday will be my review day. I'll make a post summarizing what when well, what needs working, and plans for next week.

Here's a rundown of each sub-goal.

Improve my skills
I need to practice more. I need to draw for others in case I get a small job or commission, but also for myself. I need to increase the number of hours I dedicate to my passion. I won't set a "complete x y and z" each day/week, because I know all too well that this only will lead to feeling worse when I can't meet the quota for any x reason, even if reasonable. Instead, I'll go for more general mini-goals.

- Every week, I should have drawn for myself (enjoyment), for improvement (studies) and for others (competitions, jobs, commissions).

- General schedule (need to be flexible here, since I work part-time, with varying times):
Morning: Wake up, Draw till lunch.
Afternoon: Relax a bit, then go to work or class (or draw if not)
Evening: Relax (if deadline, work till late)
Night: Get your 7 hours of sleep. Keeps creativity in check.

I'm doubtful of adding "do x hours of drawing-related stuff" every day, since I don't want to kick myself in the balls when I absolutely cannot reach the "magic number". For now, I'll leave it out.

Portfolio
I need to improve my portfolio, and adjust it so it attracts the type of work I want.

- Keep a constant eye for old stuff that doesn't represent me anymore.

- Create and manage categories so possible clients find quickly what they want.

- Scour the internet for good portfolio tips. www.theartorder.com had some good pointers lately.

Get known around
I need to surround myself with like-minded people. I love my friends and family, and won't ever fail them, but I need contacts within the business I want to jump in. If I get a buddy or two in the process, even better!

- Create and maintain a portfolio in Crimson Daggers and ImagineFX forums. Conceptart.org seems to have problems as of late. Team Awesome in facebook is very nice, but excruciating to navigate. Deviantart is a bit too socialnetworky for me.

- Enrol in drawing partnerships or "online classes" through livestream. I've been following sickbrush's from time to time and it's simply golden knowledge.

- Comment, participate in conversations and share. Be thankful and respect your elders.

That's it for now. I guess I'll be updating later on, as I refine the goals and stuff.