Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Hobitt-hole
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Still life
[attachment=71571]
Quick guache,  still tricky.

[attachment=71669]
Looking good, man, especially all the perspective stuff. Keep it up!
You seem to be progressing nicely :) Keep doing the still lives, those will teach you so much so fast! Also anatomy :D
(07-31-2015, 11:43 PM)Othrandir Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to be progressing nicely :) Keep doing the still lives, those will teach you so much so fast! Also anatomy :D

Thanks Working on anatomy but for now not posting anything. COMING SOON™.
I think those applied studies are starting to pay off. I shall continue
[attachment=71826]
Try blocking in major forms and shapes first before worrying about detail. Your still life studies have plastic look to them, and I can't exactly pinpoint why. I think part of it is the transition soft and hard edges in your values.
@yangdaniel027 Thanks for the feedback ill try to work on it!

Master study this time N.C Wyeth tried to experiment with my approach discovered a lot about how to make a picture.Looking forward to applying all the stuff.

[attachment=71972]
Wanted to draw something hard surface, havent done so in a while, quite rusty but here are some tanks.

[attachment=72050]
Nice line weight! The face on that last NC Wyeth looks better. You're starting to simplify the forms down more I think. Always start your drawings with the most basic over all form indications and resist getting into the little details until you have the foundation down.
@ Adam Lina thanks! im trying to work on my approach so a lot of experiments and approaches so hopefully ill improve on that.

Did a photo study of a sea horse and then did one from imagination.

Photo study
[attachment=72159]

From imagination
[attachment=72160]
Awesome studies = Awesome progress! Keep at it! Grin
@Bookend Thanks!

Personal piece

[attachment=72657]
Experimenting with different approaches, still life.
[attachment=72823]
heyy!
Looking good Hobbitt!
Maybe you could push the structure and values? for example the folds and cloth detailing seem to look a bit flat.
Overall your rendering is getting much better! keep it up ^^
@ Voodoomama Thanks! will try to work on my values currently doing a lot of experimentation .

Here is a quick guache Leyendecker study  will keep doing these.

[attachment=73282]
I had to go look up Leyendecker, his art is beautiful! I hadn't thought of using gauche for studies, be a good use for the unloved tubes of it I have :D You've got a lovely range of values there.
I like that Leyendecker. The values look good but dont rush the drawing. Theres some symmetry problems with the brow ridge area and over all form of the cranium. I use a hand mirror to check my symmetry when working traditional. Also it helps me when Im doing a copy of something to not look at my drawing as a copy. I mean you dont think about the drawing in relation to the original. Try to look at it on its own merits as if its an original drawing. I know thats kind of a vague weird piece of advice but I hope you at least get what I mean.
Hey thanks for the comment. I see what you mean I think about designing forms more. The ear area kind turned into a blob of paint due to time constraints. I can see you must be thinking about that a lot with studying Leyendecker. Hes really the perfect example of designed brush work. Something else I've noticed after going and looking at his original is you're ignoring a lot of the soft edges he uses. He has a flare for using hard edges in unexpected places while not breaking the form. Dont over look his subtlety though. Gouache is great for getting nice hard edges very easily as well. After you get all your tiles of value layed in you can go back using a wet brush with no paint and blend out edges strategically. Watch your water to paint ratio though. If you go in too watery at first it will just leave a stain which doesnt reactivate after it dries. Using enough paint to make thicker opaque strokes will allow for easy blending afterwards. Try playing with using too little water and see the variety of strokes you can make. Plus using dry brush as well as washes is one of the most fun aspects of using gouache in my opinion.
@punk a cat Thanks! and yeah Leyendecker is great one of my favorite artist's.
@Adam Lina Thanks you very much for taking the time to crit, yeah im still trying to learn guache and i really appreciate the tips and ill try to apply them

Heres a still life of a plastic gnome i found a lot of forms so i decided hey why not

[attachment=73360]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15