Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: smrrfette's Odyssey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So much sketching, great work! Those head rotations you've done are so going to pay off! (keep doing more of them though, some of the angles can be pretty tough) In general I am delighted to observe all the progress you've been making! =]
Hey man, thanx for stoping by my SB here !

I'm really liking what I see here actualy, your understanding of head proportions are starting to get better so don't stop pushing ! : )

And to answer what you asked me about my Moon piece- her helmet was bashed to get the design and silhouette of it, everything else was painted.

Very cool and keep it up !
Facetacular!
crackedskull - Haha cheers, Cracked!

ShinOkami - No worries man <: oh I definitely can't stop, or I'll forget everything I've studied so far haha. Oooooooh, awesome stuff Shin, never would've guess it! 

Se7enLives - Will definitely be doing them until they're no longer a threat c: aww thanks so much, glad you're watching over my shoulder Milen :D

VoodooMama -  Woah, thank you kindly Voodoo! Even though it's baby steps imo, I'm happy you can see a difference!

Dennis Kutsenko -  
lololol that inspiration doe xD! Thanks Dennis! Yeah they'll definitely remain on my daily to-do list 'til I feel comfortable with them! AhhahuehauehHAHuahehe *replicates Dio Brando laugh*

Thank you all for droppin' by o/ ! <3

Boring update! More head constructions/faces
Wasn't able to get as much done as I'd like - worked quite a lot on the commission today

quick h.c studies from photos (and constructing a couple of faces):
[attachment=69233]
[attachment=69234]
[attachment=69235]
sketching from noggin':
[attachment=69238]
[attachment=69243]
[attachment=69244]

Mmmmmmmm... yeah I've gotta dedicate a lot of time to this head and soon after, facial features because, well, shit, look at these application sketches lol
yikes
HAHA

How was I gonna put it? Oh yeah, it's like the retention of the head studies are fleeting when I don't apply it straight away.
Or when I do what I did today and apply it... and then have a break and work on something unrelated, then do another set of application sketches - by the 2nd time I try to apply it, it doesn't go so well.
So I need to take this into consideration.

1/2 day tomorrow, let's get crackin'!
Hey SMMMMRRRRR! Nice job working those heads. It looks like you have trouble placing the eye sockets. Thing that helped me was to think of the brow ridge and cheeks as a book laying open. The nose fits like a little wedge in the middle and slants parallel to the bottom plane of the book. The eye socket fits roughly in the top plane I did a little drawing to illustrate it for you. Also do yourself a favor and stick mostly to normal profile, 3/4s and straight on views for now. Get solid in the normal angels and then build up to the harder ones.
holy... those pencils :D
you are already good (very good) with that, only doing tons of construction studies is left, Adam illlustrated it perfectly above, so the only thing i can recommend you is to try some sculpting to get better with that. It doesnt have to be 3d software, just some clay for kids would do the trick, and i bet you will learn a lot.
Anyway, keep punching it!
(my heart) BA BOOM BA BOOM!! SMRRFEETE!!!! whoaaaa ur sooo much better at pencils than me :/ stap it, yea yea, eyes bby girl, they line up yknow, like on an arc, supposing the head is a circle, you get it right like 80% of the time, when it's a little off is like

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...?aid=69244
Girl with headphones, her left eye is too high

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...?aid=69235
The dude on far right, problem is almost the same as the last one, eye is too high, not following symmetry. U r buutiful tho <3
I'm loving these sketches so much!!! Those heads are looking pretty damn awesome already! Just some minor construction issues as Fedodika mentioned, just keep them coming!
Oh shit! I love the stylization on the heads with the small eyes really far apart, it reminds me of tenkonkinkreet and james jean, it's awesome.
About construction, if you have a skull, pratice drawing the eye zone (eye sockets and top of the nose) in perspective, that should fix a bunch of problems you have with forms and overlapping.
Diggin your pencil work and sketches! Style for dayzz. Keep up those studies, and as others said watch out for the structure of the face and placement of the features, you're really improving fast o_o
You guys are the best, thanks for the support and gravy feedback <3 <3 <3

pnate - Thank you pnate! Will do and lol I dunno about that, >_< but I'm gonna try my hardest to improve in these last 6months. Thanks for dropping by! (so glad you were able to updateteteteteeeee)

Gliger -  Hey Gliger, thanks a lot man! That's a bloody great idea! Hmm I shall try it out the next best thing; on a 3D skull haha. 

wla91 - Thank you kindly, wla <3 <3 yeah gotta work at itttttt for sure!

Fedodika - Meeeeeng Fedodidididoxideee <3 ... I... I don't know what to say, for once in my art journey I had felt blind after reading your comment. o____o. goes to show how badly I suck at drawing heads because I couldn't see where I was going wrong in what you pointed out in my sketches. I literally stared at both of those attachments for a good 5mins until it sunk in lol.

Thank. You!!!

Far out, hopefully now I can fix this symmetry issue once and for all?! 

EduardoGaray - Aaaah you're too kind Eddy! Hey that's a brilliant idea, will give it a shot in the future <3 thanks for dropping by man and will do!

Adam Lina - HYPNAGOGI---ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMM!

Haha hey! Thank you a buttload for the feedback, super helpful and I hope I can put it to good use ;D +reeeeppp! 

Fails incoming.

Not much at all to show. I'm restarting the commission ._. what can I say? I don't want to send something out that I'm not happy with, so it's gonna be a serious 2-3 days ahead of me.

Still failing at heads, but now understanding why - it's cause I haven't learned how to draw yet. I really mean this.
But I'm figuring it out.
Oh symbols.......
Oh.... symmetry......... *shakes fist*

[attachment=69453]
[attachment=69454]
Spent a while on this - like 3-4 hrs, just needed to sketch around before restarting the fireman commission tomorrow. Came from the character generator.
I was experimenting with new, faster techniques and getting over my material issues. obviously painted from head, ugh. 
[attachment=69455]
UR GETTIN IT SMRRFEETE!!! use a mirror if you HAVE TOoO!!!
Great SB! I Love your pencil work and all the study's showing your improvement with each post. Inspires me to hunker down and get more studying done myself.
Keep at it, smrrfette! You got this!! If you're struggling with symmetry, maybe try doodling some heads digitally and flipping the canvas. What Gliger said sounds like something great to focus on too. I'll probably use that :D

gogo!! these studies are awesome!
I feel ya on the symmetry issues… it’s SO hard and not sure if there’s any way to improve on it other than mileage X_X So annoying… especially in traditional work where you can copy and warp eyes until it looks right.

In you latest experiment the big shoulder pads make the neck look really short - not sure if that was intentional… Did you learn anything in terms of faster technique? Speed is something I’d LOVE to improve on as well…
heeey!!!
I do think your faces are improving!
Since you're struggling with them maybe you could also try some face studies from life, or draw yourself using a mirror too!
Keep going!
I feel you on the sphere issues. When I first started with Loomis, the page that gave me the most trouble was the "just divide the sphere into 4 with 2 circles. Spent hours practicing that and I still suck. Maybe get some wire frames of a sphere in 3D and try observing how the circles move. I think playing around in 3D has helped me more subconsciously with my basic forms than any other practice I have tried.
Just a thought though. Keep on keeping on. You are killing it!
Studies looking nice :)
regarding faces, have you tried drawing faces from memory/imagination but without drawing base structures (like the proportion/measurement lines) on paper?

Just as a warm up.
Oh my god, you guys are the friggin' bomb! Thank you for popping in! <3

Prabu - Hey thanks Prabu! Yeah I used to do that all the time actually. Only since doing these head construction studies have I been sketching using the construction method (to get used to working with the concept of it/placement/proportions, etc)

Jaik - Jaaaaaaaaaaaik! Thanks brooooo! Yeah, it's so fckin' hard... and so I really want to wreck it, even if that does mean going back to the basics! Hey yeah you're not wrong, when I get the time, I'll be giving studying spheres in 3D a shot! 

VoodooMama - Aaaah thank you Voodoo <3 ! Yeah the second I get a bit of work done tomorrow, I'm gonna hop right on the self-portrait study train! thanks for the feedback meng! 

Lyraina - Right?! Right!!?! Sooooo hard ;-; oooooh! I didn't really pay attention to the shoulder pads and what it did to his neck o_o shiiiz, thanks Lyra! Learned from that that's for sure haha. And yeah I sure did, instead of just going for it and painting - I made sure I at least had some lines that made sense to me and my god. clipping. masks. They're amazing. I tried to use them before, but I've realised they have a lot more potential than meets the eye.

Not only for separating layers, but they can help decide lighting before you get into it, you can experiment with different colour schemes because of the transparency lock... a bunch of things. I really think it's the way to go for painting fast and smart.

eroquii - cheers eroquii! :D I'll keep that in mind <3 thanks for the feedback and dropping by!

Cricketts - Thank you kindly, Cricketts! haha wow that's a big thing to say! thanks for droppin' by! o/

Fedodika - XD aaaaaaaaaaaaah Fedooooooooo <3 will do!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Alrighty, firstly, yes, lousy update is lousy. 
I apologise.
For I have been procrastinating with some work _big_ time. But that should be over after tomorrow. ;D THEN IT'S ON BABY.
On like Bowser Junior...
No but seriously. 
o:<

So something exciting happened while I was talking to crackedskull in the forums. Our convo led to the creation of The Crimson Dagger Grand Manor! If y'all haven't checked it out yet, its an awesome world-building challenge and anyone can join in!
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthre...0#pid84110

So here's a couple of quick, dirty sketches I've done so far for the CDGM:
First character, I've even got a basic back story for him which I'll post up in the Manor thread soon. It was really an improv-type creation. All from the top of me noggin.
[attachment=69632]
I really do plan to animate this eventually:
[attachment=69633]
and here's another sketch - tryna get fast - I know the head is big and there's a lot off about it, but I was more focused on experimenting and painting quick:
[attachment=69634]

Schoolism course starts tomorrow, I'm geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed up

I promise the next update won't be boring as bat shit like this one was. Jayzus.

o/
DANG SMRRFEETE THAT JUMPIN DOOD IS THE SHIIIIIT!!!! <3 <3