Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: smrrfette's Odyssey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya Smrrrrfettte!
Pumping out a lot of great stuff daily! Really motivational. Digging those pallete and environment studies from a while back. Feels like you enjoyed doing them.

When looking at those latest gestures that you applied, they have fine muscular anatomy but the skeletal structure seem rather deformed. I suppose that you did them fast though, but pointing it out anyway!
Totally get what you mean with coloring. Whenever I paint over values it turns out quite deadlooking and boring. Might be because you retain those cold and grey colors. Much more fun to paint directly on canvas!
Would be nice to see more polished imagination work so you can showcase dem studies.

Best socks I've ever seen in the latest post.
Great sketchbook. Your pen work and pencil work is wonderful and you figure study's are so fluid keep up the study's and the great work.
i think it time for you to do some fabric study
How are you going about creating your palettes? Do you color sample or guess the colors and limit yourself to them? I tried those masters studies that I told you and some anatomy/skin stuff, and the colors really suck xD.
I also agreed with Bjulvar, would love to see some finished pieces!
Bjulvar - heya Bjulvaaaarrrarar :D thank you! Haha yep I really did. Aaaaah yes! Thank you a lot for pointing that out! It was on my to-do list to fix up, but I keep getting distracted :x shall study structure like a baws! I'll try to pump out some more finished imagination work, no, scratch that... I will!!
Thanks for dropping by!
P.s. best socks everererrrr lololo ;)

Cricketts - hey man thanks! Shall do and will do, forever and ever! ^^

darktiste - indeed, I agree! o:

M. Calza - WAZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Haha hey you! I don't colour sample, I think doing those 50+ colour studies from the master way back when really, really helped me in determining what colours I should use - even for painting skin, oddly enough. For that last nekkid dude, I mixed about 15 colours? And used about 8-9 maybe? 1 base, 4 different midtone variations, 4 shades, 4 highlights, 2 for warmth and 1 peak highlight.
Remembering not to highly saturate the base, mids, & couple of the shadows & highlights... I hope that helps man!

So I just read up on a few things and watched a couple of vids regarding anatomy, gestures etc. And then went to le pixelovely - where I did a couple of 30sec & 2min gestures before I trekked to life drawing :D
[attachment=29602][attachment=29603][attachment=29604][attachment=29605][attachment=29606][attachment=29607]
Annnnd then life drawing stuff c: it's always fun! Exhausting sure, frustrating yeah, but down right fun.
[attachment=29608][attachment=29609][attachment=29610][attachment=29611][attachment=29612][attachment=29613]

Learned heaps... just gotta remember to apply it all tomorrow!!

(plus a couple of silly sketches from me head (on the train ride up) and some voyeurist sketches of people on the train ride back... YAY FOR CREEPINESS MWAHAH)
[attachment=29601][attachment=29614]

P.s. sorry about the really crap quality, scanner's still busted. *sigh

Lots o' stuff to do, looking forward to my nut bar at sunrise Th_101_
Cool drawings from life, and I found anatomy gesture sketches really help. I like the 'creepy' drawing from life, it's always a fun trying to not get caught drawing people lol. Well keep up the hard work!
JonHop - yeah they really do help! Hahaha yes! Best part about any train ride ;)
thanks and will do!

Decided to take a somewhat day off from studying (resting my hand again) and just had fun with art.
Felt a little adveeeeeeenturoooouss and whipped out a tube of acrylic paint with a medium brush and a half-broken one and just went with the flow ~~

But shit, I really overkilled this first one.
[attachment=29720]
Learnt from my mistakes, however.
Like for example - newbs don't know when to stop painting.

So I gave it a second shot and came up with his portrait from imagination...
[attachment=29721]
there's so much wrong with it and I see it... for example the nose and the eyes should have been sparkling! :
[attachment=29722]
but I can't help but feel pleased that I've delved into a new medium - and absolutely loved it!

I was kinda happy with how the lips turned out though:
[attachment=29723]

Took some photos of me cat with some crazy bounce light from my socks.
[attachment=29724]
Got somewhat inspired and sketched this out ~45mins
[attachment=29725]

New goal: one sketchy painty thing a day. And eventually work my way up into finished
pieces. :D we'll see how thing's gooo!
the fun thing about watercolor is that if you understand values, you can TOTALLY suck at drawing and it will still look cool haha

I like the cat thing, interesting!
like what im seeing keep it up!
Fedodika - LOL I know right! One day I'll be good at both of those aspects though :3

johny - will do!

Not much to show, I forgot my sketchbook at a friends... so all my studies are lost for now.

Did a digital plein-air study before I do the actual August colour-scheme challenge. It's a great exercise, I recommend it :)
[attachment=29925]
Random colour sketch
[attachment=29926]
Plus some thumbnail sketches - I hope to turn all of these into coloured sketches/pieces.
[attachment=29927]
Aaand turned #1 into a colour sketch.
[attachment=29928]

I need to do more Photoshop work.
(oh and probs some Vanderpoel tomorrow, you screwed up some faces today while doodling about)
Disappointed in myself today!
Screwed up on time-management as well as my good eating habits :/ bah.

Procrastinated due to my hand... I could have worked around it, do more stretches, take longer breaks.. ugh. Excuses, excuses.
Oh well, stuff it. New day tomorrow. Even though it's more of a half-day. I'm going to pretend today never happened.

[attachment=29992][attachment=29993][attachment=29989][attachment=29990][attachment=29991]
Edit: quick idea before bed - will finish lines tomorrow
[attachment=29995]
Experimenting was fun though.
Well I think you preformed well today anyway! Those studies look too traditional for them not to be tbh! The plein-air and colorsketch look swell too. But don't be afraid of going darker in value :D
And you have two hands, so come on! :P
YES! those gestures and the last painting YES!
Bjulvar - haha thanks! And thank you for the feedback, will keep that in mind! It's hard when I transfer digi's onto the forums from my laptop, I worry too much about the glare and so I adjust the levels way too much...

TonariNoPunpun - mwahah thanks you ^^

Had a 21st on Saturday... ugh, should have been able to pump out a lot more before I went. So, here's a terribad silly unfinished mech thing that I'm not going to bother with - the original sketch had more energy and I was a lot more inspired at the time.
[attachment=30234]

Couple of drapery studies from life, a covenant Elite-ish inspired sketch from imagination and a couple of muscle studies (very much blindly copied /facepalm. That was pointless, though I still remember what I drew, so... hmm)
[attachment=30228][attachment=30227]

Life drawing from yesterday!
All in pen, because why not?
[attachment=30229][attachment=30230][attachment=30231][attachment=30232][attachment=30233]

Aaand a crappy 30min colour study. So sad, so bad. Gotta stop neglecting colour work. I need to do more sketches from imagination!!
[attachment=30226]

Feeling super inspired after having managed to see a bit of "Kung Fu Hustle" again yesterday before I left to life drawing. One of my favourite moves OF ALL TIME!

More tonight :)
A couple of 30min speedies today... they're so terribad and difficult to do (you're lookin' at lady-unfinished-paintings here) - but I've just gotta keep reminding myself to have fun with it and never give up, even though they really are hideous lol. :D

[attachment=30274][attachment=30275][attachment=30276][attachment=30277][attachment=30278][attachment=30279]
oh and another painting I almost finished (from the thumbnails I did):
[attachment=30280]

Material studies, skin colour studies, more speedies and some anatomy/life studies tomorrow
I SUCK AT VALUES >:O
and understanding basic form & planes, thus I shall study that. Probably do some value to colour studies. Seriously.
Did some metal studies... where my lack of understanding really shone through. Will apply these tomorrow.
[attachment=30394][attachment=30395]
Mug from life... so difficult ;_; need to do more!
[attachment=30396]
I tried working from value to colour with the 30min speedies and they sucked. Which brought me to the conclusion above. So I will force myself to focus on value & basic forms, planes.
[attachment=30399][attachment=30401][attachment=30403][attachment=30404]

and an unfinished dude hah, maybe I'll be able to finish him tomorrow with some metal on him.[attachment=30405]

Man I also gotta work on tightening up my time management... just that little bit more
come on girl!
Love those last 2, your quick stuff is getting better too!
but...I...must...see...a...final...piece T_T come on! put all those studies together!
looking at that helmet I think that dude is going to turn out good when you armor him up.
M. Calza - I AGREE. INCOMING :O!

Ron - ahaha I wish, the rough sketch looked better than the final product... D:

Some crrrrrraaapppa 30min speedies again
[attachment=30470][attachment=30471][attachment=30472]
and... my first finished piece... ever! All from head (pretty obvious aye)
[attachment=30473]
super generic. But... Nonetheless I'm happy! Took 7hrs. I finally got over my fear. :P aaaaand now I know how much crap I need to learn x10 oh and damn I gotta restrain from noodling -.-
Wohoo finally something more polished! I like the big helmet, a tad impractical but I like that kind of stuff anyway! I usually try to avoid strong vertical lines like that though. Giving it a bit of a diagonal lean might give the piece a more dynamic feel. Nice workload you've pushed out! Do you feel that the 30 minute sketches help your overall artistry?