Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Pnate's Almost Daily Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
iCi - Thanks! More finished stuff to comee

Mannequin - Thank you! Definitely need to work on them characters, gonna keep pushin :)

My bloodsports entry for "A touch of evil". Didn't notice this until I was half done, but there is just a smidge of subtext for male rape behind the dark magic ritual thing going on...anyways. Learned a lot on this and failed horribly, in my opinion. But the next one shall be better, can't wait for it.

[Image: r8EzTtg.jpg]
[Image: Jy2U299.jpg]
[Image: YdYu6UI.jpg]
[Image: r3znyxb.jpg]
[Image: f48KNrS.jpg]
[Image: 91jXf4N.jpg]
[Image: ym09NeL.jpg]
[Image: Q9D1V2o.jpg]
[Image: HG4gwOs.jpg]
Dat Bloodsport! Everything looking really great Pnate! Making me want to work harder!
The Bloodsport turned in such a great way ! You're continuously improving mate ! KEEP THIS UP :D
Thanks Tyler! Push itttt :)

Izzual - Thanks man, I liked your bloodsport too

[Image: pjwyMRI.jpg]
[Image: sykPvnz.jpg]
[Image: GeOUWJL.jpg]
going to work on this some more
[Image: RYE8bQi.jpg]
[Image: 30U9Vin.jpg]
[Image: n9CRbn1.jpg]

Luk999

A lot of cool stuff man. Nice to see the progress ;)
Luk999 - Thanks man!

Some guy sketch
[Image: Cm9hsxB.jpg]

Went to Jana's Portrait Demo/Workshop today, it was sweeeet. I took some notes, I'll list some of the most notable things here. Nothing all that revolutionary in terms of technique, just pure skill 0_0 was awesome to see it in action.

-Started with a basic block of mid saturated color with a soft brush

-Established major planes catching light and major planes in shadow

-surprisingly fairly zoomed in most of the painting, started working on individual features one at a time at this point

-Would lasso areas and brush into them just to get a sharp edge in the right spot (ie, corners of mouth, nose, etc)

-used the "lighten" brush mode a couple times to add some reddish saturation to the forehead and nose

- explained that she likes to use the "saturation" brush mode sometimes to get the "white" of the eye right without changing the value (she did this for the eye in shadow and chose a mid gray)

-Noticed she changes brush modes about every 5-10 minutes or so. Most used: lighten, darken, overlay, multiply. Mostly used to add a flavor of color, add some quick shadows, or very slightly change the value

-Explained that she typically puts the eyelashes on a new layer on top, so she can paint in that area without worrying about messing them up.

-Nearing the end, put the face on a new layer by quickmasking it so she could detail the hair under it and not have to worry about messing up the face

-Added a photofilter nearing the end, changed the overall color temperature from warm to slightly coolish

-added some quick gradients of color on a multiply layer around the edges of the image to put more focus on the face
study for personal thing
[Image: EWIwqTX.jpg]
[Image: kVeywIr.jpg]
[Image: sa4dgNm.jpg]
[Image: 8eUT04R.jpg]
Wow, pnate, really nice stuff going on in the sketchbook lately! Those figures are really showing through in your work. I'm particularly fond of the pirate girl you've got up here.

Also, thank you so much for sharing your notes. I'm sure getting that opportunity was an amazing experience, wish I could've been there, haha. :D
Thanks man. Yeah it was really cool to see the magic happen up close, it was totally worth it. Hope those notes help someone out there haha

Another study and gestures. Working on a personal project right now, probably won't show until I'm done with all parts.
[Image: S2lxUET.jpg]
[Image: daeQoxt.jpg]
(03-06-2013, 07:05 PM)pnate Wrote: [ -> ]Hellooo Crimson Daggers. Long time lurker here :) I've been posting my sketchbook on CA for a while now, but decided to start posting here finally in light of some things involving you know who and you know what (in case you haven't read about it yet): Link

Anyhoo, I know the community here is awesome and I wanted to come join you fellas in our quest to get better. Hope I get to know and befriend some of you guys along the way.

Here's some stuff from today to get it started:

[Image: Ufqr7pd.jpg]
[Image: VJf7Xl0.jpg]
[Image: 7Gqr3RU.jpg]
[Image: obKo82h.jpg]

nice one! i love the atmosphere and the creature, the girl is cute, well done.
You've got some really solid stuff, man; your paintings are efficient in brush strokes and have a great vibrancy to the color, since it seems like you paint directly in color. I need to do some of the screen studies you've got going on here!
Trevor - thanks man

MrFrenik - Thanks Frenik. Do em! Screen studies are a great exercise :)

[Image: fqyFNfm.jpg]
[Image: 7AaIHdq.jpg]
[Image: QG6ewrG.jpg]
[Image: Y767inb.jpg]
[Image: O1zFMsp.jpg]
[Image: EDKdqPK.jpg]