Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Lyraina's sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Lyraina, Lyraina, Lyraina. Absolutely killing it :) You gestures are really looking fluid and you seem to be conquering drawing legs too short. I am yet to try studying different body types.. probably something I should do eventually. Is there any life drawing in your home town? That would really help with the different body types, since you don't always get to choose good looking models :P ..or hairless models.. or particularly clean models... *shudders from memories*
Thanks so much for the links, guys! I knew I could count on you. Next anatomy update will show the results :)

Sir-lex: Thank you. Don't feel bad..but more figure drawings is almost always a good idea :p
Samszym: Thank you - you're right, my imaginative figures are a lot worse than the referenced ones.. and you hit the nail on the head, I think I'm really scared of overlap and foreshortening, especially the latter. I am focusing more on that now (didn't scan those yet). Thank you very much for the links!
Hypnagogic_Haze: Yes, those were exactly the kinds of searches that lead to me asking for help in that regard D: I want bodies, not genitals x_x Thanks for the link :)
Nimao: Thank you, I will for sure!
Jaik: Thanks Jaik. Well, after several pages of drawing legs too short it is getting embarassing so I just draw them waaaaaaaaay too long now, so they turn out ok I guess :P There is no life drawing where I live now, but after moving later this month, I will have the opportunity. Already subscribed for the course, in March or so. I'm quite nervous and excited, last time I've been to a life drawing course was.. about 8 years ago? omg O_O (And I was not even taking art seriously then -_- If only..)

Hard round brush rendering
[attachment=41229]

ugly spitpaint
[attachment=41232]

Portrait from photo reference...
[attachment=41233]

... and about 1,5 day later trying to do the same without ref (as I have seen people do here on CD). What a harsh comparison and epic proof of fail ;_; But an exercise that I will do again. I like that it pushes me into a state of "omg, I REALLY need to memorize those facial structures/planes/etc so I won't make a fool of myself when doing it from memory later". Keeps me from getting distracted.
[attachment=41234]

Studies for bloodsport
[attachment=41230]
[attachment=41231]

Update on the character
[attachment=41235]
Oo memory applications! Yesss keep at it Lyraina, they are so insanely hard but super helpful I think. It's crazy how much how minds warp what we thought we saw, it always drives me crazy haha. And very nice gestures on that last page as well 0_0
I recognize that hard round brush painting, that whole set is great for studies :) I think the shadows were darker, but I don't remember exactly. Either way, looks good.

That photo study looks very good and if you did that imagination piece a day and a half later that's pretty good too. the point is not to make perfect copies days later, but remember basic stuff which you can then use to make your own images.

Good stuff, keep pushing!
The bloodsport is coming up nicely. About applying the study... you don't have to draw/paint the same image again from memory, just try and remember the basic stuff like the lighting, what shapes are in the face, and why are they lit that way, the values, the colors and stuff like that and then apply it to your own portrait from imagination.
Keep it up!
I. Love. That. Memory. Study.

I love that you ballsy enough to even do it!! Man, that takes guts! And for that, I respect you muchly.
Also digging these bloodsport studies - can't wait to see how this progresses ~!
Nice, You've made a ton of great progress!

Just a quick bit of feedback. I'd love to see you do a bunch of work on understanding speculars. Most of what you paint has a matte appearance, and you won't get rid of that till you get speculars down :).
Hi! '-'

I still didn't see your whole sketchbook but I loved the second post with the tradicional study.
Like you I don't have courage to make something in oil but I'll soon haha!

Great figure studies!
First time hearing about painting first from reference, then repeating it without ref. But I guess that is kind of the whole art practice is like - doing studies from life, then construct studio paintings/concept designs of things that don't exist and thus can't be referenced directly.
pnate: Thank you! Yeah I'll definitely do more of those memory applications.
dracken: Thanks.. you're right I think, I painted this on my laptop and it does look more dull and less contrasty than I have it in mind now. I still think that trying to "copy" the image as good as possible from memory later can be quite valuable, because I found it really interesting to see where I was off... somehow shows how my mind seemed to interpret and remember some details (like the pink forehead - I remembered that it was pink, but then completely got the color and value wrong). But yeah, long term goal is application in my own work obviously :)
razvanb08: Thank you! Bloodsport piece will be done soon I hope :) About the memory thing - true, but I feel that trying to do the same again helped me more than usual photo copies, because knowing that I will have to repaint it later made me a lot more attentive. Maybe it's just a psychological thing :D
smrrfette: Haha thanks a lot :D Yeah that memory study was really cool (and scary), I love it when I try out something new (be it technique wise, or study like this..) and it works out better than expected (not quality wise, but the amount I tool away from it) :)
OtherMuzz: Thanks :) What exactly do you mean with speculars - like the highlight on a person's nose, or hard surface-shiny stuff like armor or vehicles? And do you have a suggestion how to tackle that? Painting different materials from still lifes?
iamorim: Hello! And thank you... I hope to gather some courage to experiment with traditional media a bit more soon as well ;)
meat: Yeah so far I have only practiced (via copying) for general skill development, but after seeing people do that copy from memory later thing I wanted to try it, too :D

--
Anatomy update! Focus this time was heavier models and foreshortened poses. This was mind-blowing stuff, I had to correct so many times because I could not believe what I was seeing! My mind always wants to.. "correct" stuff like this. Not sure what's the best way to practice those, as there is so much danger of copying photographic artefacts or distortions instead of whatever it is supposed to look like... but I don't think I can eyeball it yet, even with construction methods.

[attachment=41573]
[attachment=41574]
[attachment=41575]
[attachment=41576]
[attachment=41577]
[attachment=41578]
[attachment=41579]
[attachment=41580]
[attachment=41581]
[attachment=41582]
[attachment=41583]
oh gawd. so much stuff that i missed. it's really impressive how hard you work. tons and tons of quality work <3 every time i see someone working so hard i feel the need to move my ass and start working even harder and i bet i'm not the only one. so keep working. your stuff is really inspiring!
Foreshortening.. the mindfuck of the art world... it's one of the biggest problems.. at my last life drawing session I ran around and got all the foreshortened poses I could.. safe to say there is a reason I didn't upload the work I did lol.

I admire you for doing the different body types studies. I definitely have a tendency to only use perfect male/female specimens in my studies. It's not a crutch that I have thought about before but I can definitely see how it can be..
Keep up the good work :)
So many angles, so much anatomy, great stuff.

I have nothing but respect for all the different body sizes and clothes. Keep pushing!

:)
Really digging those figure studies with the colour palettes! Looking at all that hard work really gets me pumped up haha.

Regarding your recent figure drawings (especially on the topic of foreshortening!), may I suggest you approach your figures in sort of a 3D-simple-forms way? Like using spheres and cylinders and blocks to "build" the figure. I think that approach gives a lot of flexibility not only in accurate proportions but also in coming up with different body types. (Like for plumper people you use more spheres, for more chiseled people you use more blocky shapes, etc, etc).

Keep up the awesome job!
Great practicing! I know exactly what you mean about the urge to correct what you see in foreshortened poses. have you tried forcing yourself to go more extreme than what you see instead of evening out the proportions? That can be a fun way to loosen up and make sure you're not over-correcting.
ramalooke: Haha thanks :D I know that feeling all too well!

Jaik: Mindfuck indeed.. but drawing foreshortening from life (which makes checking for errors even harder than on screen) is hardcore, kudos to you :P

dracken: Thank you! I will!

LongJh: Yeah, I have "kind of" tried to do foreshortening with boxes and circles but this always ends up in a huge mess of lines :P But hopefully this will get better in time.

Samszym: Good idea, thanks! Will think of that next time I do something foreshortened :)

---

Just dumping the digitals of the last week... didn't scan anatomy yet... so it's very portrait heavy! Sorry for the spam, but I had a blast doing those 'repeat what you remember' things this week. Some are really embarassing, but I want to keep this as a kind of journal and not censor too much. I did try to get in some diversity, and bravely stood up to the challenge of men & age.

girl from ref
[attachment=41929]

pretty boy from ref
[attachment=41931]

not so pretty boy without ref... not sure what's wrong with my brain, but it seems to think men are really... broad..
[attachment=41932]

model from ref
[attachment=41933]

fail without ref
[attachment=41934]

handsome
[attachment=41936]

not anymore
[attachment=41937]

1 layer warmup from reference
[attachment=41939]

BS Character sheet
[attachment=41942]

Bloodsport final!
[attachment=41940]
Oooh very nice update!
Love the bloodsports one hehe :)

On the "pretty boi portrait", a suggestion: the cast shadow from the nose on the face has a VERY deep value, it is sort of messing the reading of the face for being so dark. This is a classic example of something that work on the photo, but looks weird on the painting.
Personally I'd just make that value not go deeper than the ones used in the side on face/hair.

Just a suggestion though <3
Thank you Sula, I will keep that in mind for next portraits. :)

After all those horrible portraits, have some more more master studies (color studies, but tried to not choose super saturated ones).
[attachment=41957]

Then I made up a simple scene to test out some different light and weather conditions. Kind of figuring out where I am standing without reference.
[attachment=41958]
[attachment=41959]
So much work Lyraina, you're just pushing and pushing! Really inspiring to see all the progress.
You did a great job on the foreshortened stuff. A thing that I've always tried doing is really exaggerating the perspective or proportions, so that there is no doubt of your intentions with the study or practice.

Getting itchy for some Bloodsports action now when I've seen both you and Jaik do them. Might even want to join in since I really miss doing them :O Really like the designs going on there!
Keep working hard :D
Fuck. I'm like wow. Such a massive update. I don't know even where to start =D Love the overall direction you're heading. Try maybe introduce little more still lifes into your schedule. I think you could benefit a bit from doing these. Great work overall.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38