Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Lyraina's sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
SO GOOD! love those world abroad sketches you have going :D need to start a small sketchbook with just your international sketches (we both know you globe-trot quite a lot, now dont we? xP)

I was doing some sketches on a train on my surface the other day.. considerably more obvious than a small sketchbook.. there was an old man none too pleased, so I sketched him the longest just to make him uncomfortable..

Keep up the good work! :D
smrr, I’m VERY afraid of unforgiving media, especially sketching with a pen - I started doing that out of necessity to save my hand, because I tend to press down too hard with pencils. Then I realized it’s actually quite fun! :D That said, some of my pen sketches still have underlying pencil construction lines…
Thanks for joining the comp challenge, looking forward to your comps :)

Jaik, that sketchbook is as well-traveled as can be, since I’m not drawing much in sketchbooks at all while at home. It has been to Northern Germany, Japan, and now New York - though I still have to actually draw in it more… a habit I’m trying to practice.
Lol @ sketching that old man longest… XD

With meat I found another willing victim who agreed to sit for me to do a portrait from life! Again, light situation and temperature were a challenge (neutral/warm from the behind, cold from laptop), and for some reason, this one took me way longer than the portrait of my sibling. And again, didn't quite catch the likeness... sigh! Mostly done from life (in 2 sittings), but I finished it up from photograph because I run out of patience painting the shirt.

[attachment=69198]

fail-a-day no. 5
[Image: attachment.php?aid=69197]
Good job girl! Keep it up! That portrait you just did is really the best so far! e.e Loving those little sketches too! ^^
Portrait of Meat is lookin good.
Keep finding those victims for your painting attacks.
I really like the rendering on your works!
Both landscapes and portraits are looking great.
Your landscapes are very inspirational, specially the color variations in the last page.
Awesome stuff :0
Oh that last portrait ;) ;)
Also, it's awesome that you are uplading traditional stuff, pretty motivating.
About crits hm... dedicate some time to learn how to efficiently paint hair and get the texture right, Brad rigney is crazy at it, maybe he talked about a way to do it in his tutorial or on some talk?
see you just do another one and you worked out a ton of things like the balance in the brushstrokes and the symmetry of the eyes! Great work lyrona especially the hair, keep bein tuff girl <3
It took longer 'cos I kept moving even though I know the pain of a portrait painter! Turned out real nice tho - I look young and like a million bucks!
So that's what meat looks like! Beautiful job on a beautiful man. You're always leveling up Lyra, can't help but be inspireddd
LaleAnn: Thank you! Glad you like the portrait :D

crackedskull: Thank you - I’ll try to find more victims eventually, hehe :) It’s not easy for me to find willing (or unwilling) victims because asking someone to sit still for hours for me feels like quite a favor to ask… and then I’m very nervous about messing up, so for the first bunch of portraits it needs to be someone I trust a lot to so I can be sure they won’t be too mad at me if it doesn’t turn out well.

VoodooMama: Thank you very much :)

Gliger: Hmm… I’ve watched tutorial(s) by Brad, but not sure what he had to say about hair… I’ll look it up again, thanks!

Fedodika: Thank you thank you, Koala~

meat: Well, you do look young and like a million bucks so I won’t take any credit for that~ ;)

pnate: Thank you thank you <3

More...things. I'm lost.
[attachment=69521]
[attachment=69522]
[attachment=69523]
[attachment=69524]

I feel unproductive, days are rushing by so fast. Doing mostly stuff that's hopefully kind of useful (job research, trying to keep body healthy, short/midterm time planning etc) but no real art or stuff to show, and no guarantee any of this will pay off eventually. Starting tomorrow I'll get up early again so maybe that'll increase my output! I hope.
LYRONAAAAA
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, studies are lookin' gorgeous Lyra, my god yaaaaaasss <33333
The copics and pens... THE COPICS AND PENS!

Seriously though, you keep doing these comps a day and fiddlng around with copics and ink and you'll be laughing.
Haha I know what you mean about feeling lost; just gotta keep doing more and eventually you'll have a revelation about what you've been doing.

Yeah, I don't have any crits, 'cause damn. Stuff looks good.

Keep it up Lyra!

P.s. Also, omfg Mr. Fedodikoala x'D !! I can't, his nick name for you is just too good :3
LOL Omg Fedo, what the heck XD I can’t stop laughing…. I REALY wanna do a Lana dressup/makeup/cosplay now… omg lol XD

smrr: Thanks for the support :) Yeah… just gotte do moooaar, as always!
lyrona haha

damn, i love the painting of your sibling, specially the edges and the construction of the face.
The ink stuff is nice too! Its been a long time since i visited your SB and you have improved a lot, keep going, i want to see more. :)
Eduardo, thanks a lot :)

Life is complicated - I'll at least let thumbnails be simple.
[attachment=69906]

Spontaneous greeting card.
[attachment=69907]

[attachment=69908]
Fedodika is totally right with the "born to draw"!!
You posted some great updates the last pages. I really dig that portrait of meat, your portraits are getting so much better! I especially like the lighting here, it seems you really nailed the colours.
What I adore the most though are your sketchbook pages with all those compositional and other tiny and not so tiny sketches! I'm really enjoying looking and them and it's really inspring.
What I also really like about your sketchbook is the great deal of variety your showing with the subjects in your art (: Keep it up!!
Oh and don't be scared! I once read this quote by Joseph Campbell: "The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek" and I keep on thinking about it when some obscure fear of anything is threatening to overcome me. (Because you wrote something like that a page ago, I think.) You can do it!
Your thumbnails are too complicated and busy with the little shapes. Some of those shapes can be in gray. You're going way way far ahead exploring many unfamiliar/comfortable territories... good job! Really admire that trait of yours.
That portrait is gorgeous. Really nice sketches/thumbs too
Loving the composition sketches! Nice use of shapes!
Cool B&W compositions. How much did you take on each one?
Birdieeeeeeee!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38