Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Bloodsport 5: Howl's Moving Castle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jeffers

These are my sketches. I've been trying to get a good composition down before I start any lengthy work.

I could have numbered these..

I plan to take forward the 9th one (2nd row, 2nd from the right)

[Image: moving_castle_poster_thumbnails_by_jeffe...4o1j9v.jpg]

Natalie_Becker

I would thumbnail a few more that aren't the characters grouped into a diamond. For a few reasons. A) you don't want to just copy Dave's composition, B) you'll get frustrated but you'll learn what compositions you like and don't like the more variation you try, and C) almost every DVD nowadays has this type of floating portrait design to it. It sells the movie, but is it the best image you could make? Maybe not. Just think about it, see if there's something else you could play off of. Hope that helps a little :)

Benjah

yep like natalie says you should try something different because you will go to a comparison on the daves entry and instead of say oh this looks nice , everybody will think well you just copy the daves composition and change some things

Jeffers

I can't believe that I was taught nothing about composition by my art teachers in the past 4 years.

Thanks for the feedback :)

@Natalie:
I totally agree with what you're saying. I don't really want to make my poster the same as daves, but it is good to study the shapes :P
I am continuing trying out compositions; I want something fresh and original (hopefully) for todays modern market.

I like this L shape composition but I want to add more depth to it (I'll have to flesh it out with values to see if I can do that)
[Image: l_shape_comp_by_jeffers800-d4o45q7.jpg]

I drew this one earlier today, thinking about changing the design. I tried basing it off of 3 triangles, rather than the diamond shapes. I like how it's turned out but it's still very much the same as it was before. I will experiment with removing the 3 characters and popping Sophie forward more. And just play around with that :)
[Image: triangles_comp_by_jeffers800-d4o469s.jpg]

Jeffers

I've done a couple of studies over the past 2 days. Here they are:
[Image: face_value_study_by_jeffers800-d4o9219.jpg]

[Image: skull_study_by_jeffers800-d4ob6mp.jpg]

[Image: f1d6c4e841509ca59e232124d0e64b16-d4ocnqi.jpg]

Jeffers

Final comps. I'm leaning towards #4 but I can't decide..
[Image: bd8ffcbddbe6fbae3ce1188c20ff4669-d4omaue.jpg]

RachelCham

Number 4 :)