Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fedodika the Koala
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ms.AK: 2sweet4me <3

Mentor thing went well, gotta work on lineweight more; also gonna try to get my structure down in like heads more in particular. Always comes back to the most basic stuff, but I'll also be doing some less surface level anatomy stuff this month more likely. Also the "finished" version of Winona, my one true luv

Gonna try to finish up Force tonight, but I'll of course return to it later on, it's a great book, probably copy the gestures sometime in it and pick up some tricks
quickie for today got shit to do tomorrow, watched the movie RAW last night, the sketch is of Ella Rumpf, a very handsome woman from the film. Gonna tweak it tomorrow, the proportions gave me a little trouble, need to learn that 3d stuff and get on it btw
aight about 4 hrs in this, try to finish it up tomorrow; need to finally get to that 3d shit i keep putting off!
Is this from reference or imagination? Just curioussss :3
Noodle: Yesh it's from a photo http://spiel-kind.com/wp-content/uploads...i_0300.jpg

Though i'm admittedly changing (fudging) some proportions and changing the colors to my liking. I feel like its done, but i don't want it to be done, which is a frustrating feeling hehe.. probably tweak the last 2% of it tomorrow, i always notice something! But whats interesting is the more I work on something the more detail i end up taking away, which i suppose is progress

Learning more 3d stuff, from David Lesparence. He's way more fun to listen to than a lot of guys who barely know english making tutorials. despite his very fluent 3D jargon i cannot decipher One thing that surprised me about 3d is a lot of them don't sculpt everything from scratch and they use these things called Kit Bash. Its basically premade 3d assets like pipes/doors/boxes/machinery etc that they kinda squish together into cool things. Of course you have to know how to design it to make it work, which is a whole other story.

Don't have anything to post yet because I'm still lost when it comes to hard surface 3d stuff obviously its a whole new world for me, but it's becoming less cryptic quite quickly. 

Gonna watch a lot more NMA stuff tomorrow and try to get in a few hrs of figure drawing since I'm behind so, bloopeedoo
Keep killing it, Koala man!. Those gestures look guuud. *throws a bunch of eucalyptus into sketchbook*
Triggered: I ate it all today... mmm so full! Bring moar next time, thanks i guess, now im gonna have the poops!

I'm trying something new with these like, when i get to longer poses I'll take the photo and try to imagine the pose in different angles; really interesting and actually kinda fun. I did that before i drew the lady with the bird mask; i really like that drawing for some reason, I suppose because i planned it a little more. Also trying to pay more attention to lineweight, which i think is helping a little to show depth.

Anyways, i have my first caricature "gig" entertaining tomorrow at a fall festival. and then on the 28th i have a bigger one for a halloween party that i even bought a 100$ costume for; should be an interesting experience! 

I'll post some gestures tomorrow, but I probably wont be able to get through more huston vids, i finished his eye up one today on NMA, reminded me of some important things. Its funny, I always think, oh i could totally watch 8 hrs of NMA in a day, thinking that would help me progress the fastest; But then as I'm watching it i'm anxious that this might not be the fastest way to improve; such a paradox!
just a quickie today, the event was quite lousy, but hey not every one can be great, right? Gonna dive into more Huston tomorrow, should be fun!
Expressive figures man soo cool <3 maybe show a photo of you in that costume haha? I would suggest that you draw figs from head after doing those studies if you are not already doing it.
looking great man! The skulls look really 3d!
Adding attachments doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Do you know what's wrong?
Greg: Thanks bro! I tried to do some smaller ones today, they definitely got better as I went along long haha; Gonna do more of these they were quite fun and made me instantly see some mistakes in some portraits i was doing!

MSNOODLEASSKICK: Thanks hehe, yea I am gonna do a bit of that tomorrow when i do some hour long ones. I also exaggerate some of the drawings I'm doing, like making curves go further in or out, making some features bigger or smaller to maintain a flow; trying to stay in line with Huston's theory of the curved line and Mattesi's "force" theory. 

Starting a Chloe Sevigny portrait from American Psycho... Absolutely adore the lighting in that film. The longer I copy her face the more I appreciate how insanely sexy she looks in the scene where he invites her for a date then points that nail gun at her head while her back is turned to him. I heard the audio book for that a while back it was very strange; most the book is just this exaggerated and tediously long descriptions of the world around Patrick Bateman. My buddy tried to read it but gave up because it was just too much tedious and useless description lol, but he loved my summary of it!

Still they left the best parts of the book outta the movie cuz well, too graphic!
Yess! Are you going to paint that portrait too?
Greg: YEESH! Its in that early rough stage but I'm sure It'll be fabulous! Chloe is such a bae <3

I lUUUURV Charcoal, the top left are from imagination, yea totally have forgotten proper leg anatomy, specially the thigh and like the size of the gluteus medius. Also the traps, cant really remember the exact shapes for the infraspinatus, teres minor/major, so probably gonna refresh on that stuff soon. Those always confuse me the most, the midriff and torso/neck area are more settled for me, i feel most comfortable with them!
okeey so i realized my figures kinda stiffen after the fact, so thats why theres these little sketches near them where i push things further. Maybe should do that before the more rendered drawing, but nonetheless i got very little accomplished today worrying about this weekend where I'll be attending two halloween parties hehe. Coulda got SO MUCH MORE DONE! Argh it sucks..

Also the last two are a sketch for a client, she sent me some great references of her nieces so it was surprisingly fun to draw hehe
Hey man, 

have you tried to make an Ambient Occlusion Pass before you drop the shadows on top? I find that super helpful and it can give really juicy results.
AO pass should be done cleaner tho imo... Like here http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GDL9Bp_YZj0/S6...Grump5.jpg or even  https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5d/7b/26/5d7b2...design.jpg  I don't think Fedodika intended it. Although quite enough for a mere sketch.
Nice skulls, are all copies or did you try to rotate them in your mind?
the colored portrait turned out really well! Like the quality of using different brushes!
Man i really like your rendering <3 but your figures lack structure. Maybe look into krenz kusharts studies he is great! Keep rocking you crazy koala
Greg: Ambient occlusion is something i will probably end up doing a lot despite my desire not to. I have this dream that i will make a bunch of brush strokes wildly, add some subtle value and it'll just look awesome with rough ripped texture. I want there to be coherence in the chaos, its tough to explain! Thanks about the chloe comment tho, don't think i'm 100% done with her yet, i think i always get the eyes a little skewed :o

Neo: Thanks hehe, I'm all about dirty approaches; yea i didn't really plan any of that, i just kinda make marks and smudge them around and adjust the rest to what i feel is correct. Most the skulls are from reference, the less finished ones are probably from imagination, just trying to simplify hehe

Noodle: I've seen Kusha Krenz stuff, and he has a very nice handle on things, insanely coherent stuff (clean and coherent, hence not my favorite.) Some of my figures have structure, and its very clear; but I can know what you mean. A big problem of mine is that i tend to see things in black and white lenses, it has to be all structure or all gesture, so one tends to dominate the other. I feel like I know some of the gestures, maybe 60% of them have little functionality and would collapse if solidified due to poor structure. Those same drawings have a very exaggerated and dynamic gesture, so right now I'm trying to train myself to bring that more towards the middle, and i hope there is a visible progression of that hopefully by the end of next month!

All that said, I tried to really think of an artist who really knocks on the approach i imagine myself developing. I wanna say Nicolai Fechin and his super textured paintings with like busted up edges and that dude Wangji Li; some examples

http://www.ruthiev.com/wp-content/upload...echin1.jpg
http://fryemuseum.org/images/exhibition_...n_Pink.jpg
http://www.ruthiev.com/wp-content/upload...detail.jpg

https://wawa3761.deviantart.com/art/old-...-601721207
https://wawa3761.deviantart.com/art/Pracitce-533024656
https://wawa3761.deviantart.com/art/Colo...-533024950

Just wisping and wild textures you could never see in real life unless you were on DMT or something. But still solid and recognizable and strucured, despite my disdain for the concept of structure. Of course those two artists have a very profound and deep sense of structure, i'm more referring to the rendering specifically. 

The only reason i dislike structure that's explainable is something i came up with an analogy for. Imagine I am a troublemaking kid at a school. There is a teacher who is structure, and he always gives me advice on how to succeed in life. I think what he tells me is a lie because it seems to good to be true . So i carry on being a delinquent and wasting tons of time trying to figure out his theories on my own while occasionally listening half assedly in mr structures class. I don't take him very seriously, but because he's an authority figure I know he could be right in the back of my head. All the other kids are finishing his class and getting diplomas and I don't want to accept that he's right because there has to be some other teacher who has success. There are, but not if you want a degree that will get you steady work.

So now I'm in his class begrudgingly, cursing his name under my breath that he was right all along, and also despising that he's such a cool and relateable guy. Today he even got me to try spinning some boxes and cylinders as if it were animation. It was a big struggle, but i learned a lot and even tried building some animal forms on what was pixelovely. 

Was at two big parties the last two days and had loads of fun so... here's to getting back on schedule with posting! sorry with the delay
aight so i started workin on this little thumbnail for a personal piece; came down with a huge fever but had to sleep it off. Only did this today and i feel too shit to do anything else so hopefully i can get back to business tomorrow!