Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Fedodika the Koala
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
at some point ill need to res this up and really detail it, spent more work on the costume than the face, i guess ill work more on the face and hands tomorrow
found a cool work flow for creating concepts with believable rendering, just gotta do it a lot more lol. its basically sketch a concept, render it to find the light source, use photos and various 3d programs to add texture and realism, render the crap out of it boom

Will be fidgeting with the hairline tomorrow, its too uniform rn
look dooooooooope, skin looks really cold though, try experimenting with warm textures on color and multiply mode to switch up the tones a bit in different parts of the face; they can just be random red noise. Or making some cooler reflections to bring up that relative temperature on the rest of the face.
The question is how can you make it so that it a fast process because in a limited setting you need a effective workflow.For example instead of creating a full 3d model a quick simple mannequin that you use as a base would speed up the process so that you can draw over it in photoshop.The most helpful thing in 3d in my opinion is the simplicity of creating light scenario for a scene.I would encourage you to draw more simple primitive still life where the focus is soft light transtion and edge.Your jawline is typical of a man sharp and angular women have mostly soft jawline.I also think you should be more careful with the ears and not put the darkest dark there it really can draw alot of attention reserve your contrast for area of interest.
Darkiste: i dont do a full 3d mockup, i just use a base mannquin to find the lighting in a pose. good call on the jaw and ear, i tried to pull the proportions in they were a bit stretched in that area

Gliger: thanks i tried to bump the colors more, its tough to do that and miss that colorize look but i think i pulled it off

Today was a very good day... Did the best life drawing ive done so far, did a fun samurai sketch to a friend ( I know its got lots of perspective issues,) designed a corny but cool gun, tuned up the portrait, and might have landed a freelance concepting job, so hopefully ill even have my own stuff to post coming up if i get it (time to make my own things), but it will be NDA so i wont be able to post any of that.
alright, did the hands and attatched the face, added some more texture to everything. probably gonna change the hair style tomorrow, i like the swoosh, it just feels very old lady, so i may make one side an undercut for a more relevant look. also studied a lot about drapery today, im seeing how it all breaks down into 7 key folds, gonna take more notes though, and practicing identifying them to completely get my head around it, but it all makes sense logically, nothing is random in fabric
Here what i did.

I created area of interest contrasted on the face by putting a white zone in the background and then used the dodge tool to increase the brightness of the face.I used the blur tool to decrease interest in the leg.Also don't forget to use the background to make your character pop you don't need to just use line to separate them from the background.I also choose to blend in some of the texture so it doesn't read as to busy remember to alternate between area of rest and interest.I think it perfectly fine to enchance the background if it a flat background to enchance the character.
Darkiste: I appreciate the effort but your paintover completely destroys my image. I put a lot of delicate effort into the mid tones and your bringing up the high value behind the hair stops the lights of the hair from reading against the dark background. Light against light does not read. Yours completely washes out the subtlety of skin tones i got and obliterates the tone changes in the shirt, as well as any semblence of a pleasant viewing experience. I'd suggest, as someone has to you before, that you lose the obsession you have with maxing out contrast, ive showed you before there are intelligent ways to arrange values with low to high minor/major keys.

Read creative illustration by Andrew Loomis, and pay close attention to the section on values, he goes over this concept quite well there. 

Anyways, fixed the hair style, and i definitely like this one more, it feels a lot more relevant. Now i just gotta work on the presentation for it tomorrow, I kinda like how Betty Jiang did those concepts a while back with the character full body on the left and the portrait on the right. Also did some studies on mechs which i may upload soon, i have a  little stack of warmups ive been doing, and will definately be getting more into mech drawings as the old game Front Mission 4 has inspired this concept and a few more of mine to come
sweet hair
I concede that i might be obsess about contrast time will tell if that obsession will pay.The reason why i put white on white is specialy because there a line to separate the element.The main point of my comment is to make you realize that you can use the background to your advantage if you wish.There little to no point in working on texture of the face unless you want to turn this into 2 image 1 portrait and a full figure
at this distance there more to be gain to make sure the shape in the face read but that just my opinion.That where i fail because the ears is so bright it barely read as an ears.One point i would add is to make sure the light direction help the mood of the image as well as the key of tone.

Anyway i hope you see that i want both of us to progress.
Darkiste: people can always zoom in to see the detail, learn more about contrast, creative illustration, value section, read it. Contrast is an important part of art, if youre gonna study it learn how each of the keys work, everything isnt just bright or dark as possible. If you cant make a six paneled chart showing paintings that are low to high major/minor key, you dont know even the basics about contrast. 

https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/portfolio....alue13.pdf

Gliger: thanks homie

Trying to get through my first little hiccup of a mech design, been studying some bots, putting it away, did a memory/invention thing. coming back to realize, there is this exoskeleton i was ignoring, the armor is on top of the structure, thats what adds the major shapes. The arms are also tricky, im still trying to dissect how the joints would work, like the legs are closer to that of a rabbit or bird. You've got these big parts fitting into smaller ones. 

I had a daydream that the character i drew, like was real, i could visualize her existing and it wasnt like hurting my brain to imagine that. you could potentially spend your whole career drawing the same subject over and over, but i have different plans. I think im just gonna copy the snot out of this skillfull hunstman book tomorrow and get some good visual library stuff in my head, havent had a good brute force day in a while, so it'll be fun :)
not enough time in the world to draw everything

gonna watch some kemp remilard thing on mech design tomorrow, seems good so far ;)
I am glad to see you are diving into some more concepting work.Would not have though you were into mech and sh1t.
darkiste: Sooory!

Lots of quick sketch study today, lovin the thumbnail process and studying mechs is pure fun, this is El Chico, a little doodle i added some color to
Artist clash it what make us different.It what make us explore and question what we are doing on a daily basis i think we are lucky not to agree on everything i am glad to be able to dive inside your own though process and stuff i might not have pick up on yet.

Btw really dig the dirty thumnail are you substracting from the shape?It seem like it what your doing.It still insane to think you didn't show us more of those crazy mech stop hiding your talent baka.Not a fan of mech myself but somehow you get me excited learning about your process.

One interesting idea i would give you is to try and hybrid one part machine one part bio play against soft shape vs hard shape and also the transtion between soft and hard.
darkiste: ya im using a similar technique to sinix in his old design lab videos, using the scratchboard tool in painter, add and subtract with all hard edges and ya i never thought id care for mechs either, but i just kinda came around to it, im not sure why

loots of drawing today, lots of copying artists i like, points if you recognize them :) ball point is craaazy fun
Study factory robot with arm,Piston,Stirling engine,Gear box etc and how they work it gonna help you get the extra knowledge to invent.For example how that gatling gun move on a tank or on a warship.Where is the ammunition store where are the wire plug to.It really important to be thinking in term believablity when constructing mech specially the walking one.
Hell yeah, these mechs are coming out really nice bro!! Not enough people doing mechs, myself included. They look so daunting @_@

The painting looks real nice brother <3 KEEP IT COMING FED <3<3<3
Darkiste: its really cool how anatomy quickly translates into seeing how mechs fit together, just knowledge of joints and sockets are very similar in mechs.

Desquelor: If you know anatomy its not very daunting at all, its like... think of a mech as its functional skeleton, like a bunch of random wires and pipes and pistons, which could look like anything. Then think of it as being functional, like the pistons raise the leg, similar to the illiotibial band for instance. The rest of it is just finding a cool silhouette and putting cool plates over that skeleton, and thats basically mech design in a nutshell. Anatomy underneath a costume, just like character design

Oh and gesture, youll use that for 10000% everything in drawing. 

Life drawing was interesting, we had the first male model wed had since i started going, his names ralph. Hes quite an old hippy dude, and he kept his pants on for the session. I wanted to a figure with like a geometric shape behind it, like miles johnston used to do, and still does. Other than that i took the rest of the day off unintentionally so ill start crank again tomorrow
Feel like im hitting some sort of stride or something, shits just working, even when i dont expect it to. I tried a new approach to figure sketching today, like only adding dark points for major landmarks and it felt so cool, definitely gonna do it more, and this WIP, i think i made the chin too lean, but i love the composition and am gonna try to preserve the energy and not overrender