Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Weekly VLB - 10: Machinery Pt. 1 [Earth Moving Equipment]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Visual Library Building 10: Machinery Part 1 - Earth Moving Equipment

Hey guys, sorry I missed out last week, I'm hopeless, I didnt update my sketchbook so this completely slipped my mind.

Okay, this week is the first of a series of machine based visuals. Crossing into the vehicle realm we are going to look at earth moving equipment or other construction based machinery, with a focus mostly on vehicles (dump trucks, cranes, bobcats, bulldozers etc)

I drive through roadworks on my way to work every morning and often almost crash because I'm too busy staring at how the tar-ing machines and rolling machines and other machines that would sound smarter if I knew the real name of, and the amount of inspiration is endless for little components and details but I never get off my arse and actually commit them to memory through studying.

So, this week I want to see how joints work, how certain parts can articulate, some visual language and design cues for certain parts (i.e. if you are going to be digging up piles of dirt, you wont have delicate little lights and a hood ornament), look into pistons, wheels, material, surfaces etc.

I probably dont need to tell you daggers this of all people, but Feng Zhu is the man for looking at how to show off studies of this kind of thing. Just look through page after page until you find some industrial posts, and dont pretend like you dont enjoy every moment of drinking in these amazing designs through your eye holes. http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com.au/

Scott Robertson is also a master of this, he has a youtube channel, numerous books, and videos.

Some other really good guys to look at is John Park and Khang Le for some mech inspiration to see how you can apply what you learn.

So hop on it.

Some inspiration:
[Image: JointStudy_01.jpg]

[Image: construction_vehicle_studies_layout.jpg]
--

And the boring stuff I will include with every post so that new comers don't have to go searching:
- Each week I will come up with a topic, it can be anything from boots to machinery.
- Find some images to study, but don't just copy them, maybe do some technical drawings, take written notes (I'm not asking you to write an essay, just things worth noting), some specific detail and generally just get a better idea about a topic.
- I think I'm going to put a new one up each Monday (NB: My time, Sunday for the western world.)
- It's not a competition, its really just about sharing knowledge, one person may pick up an interesting detail or a keen observation than another person may have missed. Just building the number of visual cues that can be extrapolated to design something interesting and new when necessary.
- One last thing, the drawings do NOT have to be pretty finished renderings. A quick sketch of a building façade with details marked and notes will have just as much use as a beautifully rendered copy of a photograph. The point is the content and thought behind it, not how well you can render.
Hey man really liked the idea of the challenge, inspired me to do a couple of mechs (even though is not what the challenge was aiming for, its something)

[attachment=28500]
[attachment=28501]
Hope you do more of these!