Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some very impressive designs on your latest, love how far you took the shapes while still making it obvious what the subject matter is. Personally I prefer the ones with more circular angles as opposed to the sharper, more rectangular lines as I feel they're more interesting. Great work altogether!
Tried something more challenging but not so much that it was impossible to tackle.This time i use a main and a secondary light source of lower intensity.I am still not satisfied with how the gem like detail came out it end up looking to flat.Still trying to translate some of my previous experience from illustrator and Photoshop to sketchbook pro.
(04-08-2020, 11:34 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]Tried something more challenging but not so much that it was impossible to tackle.This time i use a main and a secondary light source of lower intensity.I am still not satisfied with how the gem like detail came out it end up looking to flat.Still trying to translate some of my previous experience from illustrator and Photoshop to sketchbook pro.

Ugh, thought to take it as a challenge when I was on a small break to see if I could improve the form read a bit. Not too great at this yet. Sorry for the boring strokes, using the mouse lol, although that ain't a excuse I could have used the line tools but I'm a moron. Ha ha.

Basically the pointers I would give are, think on having some kind of background, so your highlights can pop, you can use gradients or intricate fog, whatever. Then if you lose the form because certain materials are quite dark, just bring extra lights (rim lights, fake reflections). Remember materials all have their own value and their reactions to the environment and lighting are tied to those values.
Not sure what the gem was, the oval? Well if it's a gem you can use facets or more sharp breaks, like a cut diamond? But since I wasn't sure I just left it as some metallic oval shape.
Leaving you this maybe, again, not yet too good at this but I'm working on it so take it with a grain of salt. Changing programs is tough, can really put you off your game but, this result you got seems consistent to your previous work so I would just suggest you try to learn blender (cheap) or study materials from real life props (expensive!) heh. 
Keep it up!
Yo super nice of you to have done a paint over the materiel read so much better i realize how amateur the air brush i use make the whole thing look and that it really doesn't read as the intended texture.Yea my background really suck but i made a few error that meant i prefer not to put a background because there were some artefact around my object and this mean cleaning up and possibly damaging my original outline.How much light source are here 3?Anyways good job i definitely feel like the outline of my piece and the white background contribute to making it look more amateur.I got a few gun i made without outline and a background to contrast them like you did i certain feel there the most satisfy and probably good looking weapon i did so far.
This time i tried to re-imagine a thumbnail and tried to change it into something else.
Oh damn, that's an exercise that is driving me nuts lately ha ha. You change the value or line overlap with the same silhouette, different feel. Going organic! Nice. To answer I used your two light setup (direct + ambient?) and just added the green rim one. I think 3 lights is the main setup to get good results, or so others claim (photohgraphy?), Not sure how that works for landscapes ha ha! Jokes. Well, I'll be on the look out for your upgraded workflow then. Thumbs up!
Got tired of rendering midway so i tried something more conceptual with the rendering.I don't know if i succeded or not but the intention was to go from line art to flat color to bit more rendering.I am not satisfied with this one the color palette the rendering if felt just to similar to what i had done before but it was the palette i was going for anyways because it a stealthy weapon.

So this finish my weapon series i made a prehistoric set, a fantasy set,a retro futuristic set,a modern weapon set and i finished with a futuristic set.

Don't miss the next update for futuristic costume design and bad color theory coming up xD
I think this design is missing the military look i was going for should have spent more time during iteration.In term of color i am a total newbie.But i basically wanted white and red to be part of my palette since the legonis faction official color are red and white and with a splash of gold.
Not much to say about this one.Tried to play with the background this time to try to anchor down the figure into space instead of it appearing to float the cast shadow and a higher contrast of the floor help ge rid of this problem i am still sloppy since it wasn't the focus of this drawing.But i might try to improve the effect when i feel i want to represent something that is worth rendering.
I'm going to give you some advice man, just a thought.

I've seen you posting a LOT of replies, I see them all over the place. This is nice as it shows you want to help people but... it seems like your spending way more time posting replies than actually doing art. I read that you wanted to get serious about art in your introduction, and if that is the case I suggest you practice way more often and browse these forums less.

It is a form of procrastination that can happen with many things. It happened to me with tutorials where I would watch a bunch but never paint anything. Eventually I started to actually study and it has been a lot more beneficial.

Again, its just a thought.. maybe your not posting everything you do idk, but it seems like you have been posting less in your sketchbook lately

--this is something someone said to you early on in your sketchbook, and yet the advice went unheard.
(04-21-2020, 01:22 PM)DESQUOLOR Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to give you some advice man, just a thought.

I've seen you posting a LOT of replies, I see them all over the place. This is nice as it shows you want to help people but... it seems like your spending way more time posting replies than actually doing art. I read that you wanted to get serious about art in your introduction, and if that is the case I suggest you practice way more often and browse these forums less.

It is a form of procrastination that can happen with many things. It happened to me with tutorials where I would watch a bunch but never paint anything. Eventually I started to actually study and it has been a lot more beneficial.

Again, its just a thought.. maybe your not posting everything you do idk, but it seems like you have been posting less in your sketchbook lately

--this is something someone said to you early on in your sketchbook, and yet the advice went unheard.
It totally understandable to see that my effort to provide replies on this forum are interpreted as procrastination.I have been more and more able to determine when i am procrastinating over the years or no but commenting will never be procrastination in my eye so it why it probably been frustrating for some who think i am ignoring there concern.

Let me explain why i don't think commenting is a form of procrastination for me atleast.You can always be drawing more instead of leaving comment that an undeniable point.But i am not in the present of artist in my daily life currently so it become really important for me to get some of my motivation by exchanging what i know with other artist it help me push my boundary and better understand where there hole in my theory since if i can't explain it there a problem.Maybe you think i spend hour each day writing those message but i barely spend 30min everyday on it just that my consistency of comment is impressive i guess.Not only that i am a veteran for sure here.So my comment is all over the place and for sure some of the comment are old and very bad you never know when your wrong until it to late.
I was not happy with just a flat color for this one so i gave him more love.It was an interesting digital painting to do because i normally deal with more boxy shape trying more organic form was something relatively new to me.
Hi darktiste, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. Today I somehow ended up browsing your sketchbook for hours. There is so much good advice in here. I'll probably revisit and take more notes.
(04-28-2020, 07:24 AM)Leysan Wrote: [ -> ]Hi darktiste, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. Today I somehow ended up browsing your sketchbook for hours. There is so much good advice in here. I'll probably revisit and take more notes.
That a nice compliment my content might not be gold but i am sure there some gem people been dropping on me that could be use by somebody else this just make me want to go back and read what i might have miss or dismiss to fast.
Waw it been a long ride this make it my 1701 post on this forum since i started in [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]08-01-13 [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]7 years on this forum and still so much to learn.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]3 more costume and i am done with costume design next i am moving into more in depth character design .[/font]
7 years dude! And still going strong - well done.

So where do you want to be headed with your art - any ideas?

Keep it going fella!
(04-30-2020, 01:47 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]7 years dude!  And still going strong - well done. 

So where do you want to be headed with your art - any ideas?

Keep it going fella!
I am interested in concept art but i always wanted to be a creature designer but i felt it was more natural to explore before becoming specialize .I also want to touch some 3d stuff but i don't want it to be my first love but who know it might grow on me more than i expected.Thinking about working on some portfolio piece as soon as i can solidify something that worth showing.

The secret of my long run is to take it one step at a time and to simplify your approach so it manageable and doesn't lead to burn out.Art isn't a sprint it a marathon.
I think i am pretty much failing at futuristic costume design but hey there nothing that say you can't have primitive costume in a futuristic design.But i am gonna have to improve the read of the design to read as being plausible to be co existing in a futuristic univer once i loop back to costume design.
Hmmm - kudos for pushing on with this stuff dude. I see what you mean about the primitive feel of this costume - doesn't seem too futuristic to me either.

Do you pull these straight from your head or do you do a bit of research first?

How do you feel about maybe doing some research first and then putting together your own costume.

Couple of guys I feel do great futuristic costumes are:

Anthony Jones: https://www.artstation.com/robotpencil

and

Nivanh Chanthara: https://www.artstation.com/nivanhchanthara

Maybe some material to study next time.

Keep pushing dude :).
(05-01-2020, 06:12 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm - kudos for pushing on with this stuff dude.  I see what you mean about the primitive feel of this costume - doesn't seem too futuristic to me either.

Do you pull these straight from your head or do you do a bit of research first?

How do you feel about maybe doing some research first and then putting together your own costume.

Couple of guys I feel do great futuristic costumes are:

Anthony Jones:  https://www.artstation.com/robotpencil

and

Nivanh Chanthara:  https://www.artstation.com/nivanhchanthara

Maybe some material to study next time.

Keep pushing dude :).
The main issue is i am world building so there no definitive cultural influence really i am more thinking about era than geographic influence .I am inspired to try to bring medieval with futurism i think it just hard to pull for me right now and i am certainly not there yet i think the main issue is my shape language and the texture read more as primitive material.But i don't want to go overboard either so i am still trying to reach a middle ground.I sense i got an affinity for more medieval stuff so i gotta fight myself to balance toward adding more futuristic shape language.I like the idea of having jacket to protect against hostile environnement but i certainly don't want my character to be wearing hoodies,t-shirt,jean or some sneaker so i gotta find inspiration away from those 3 thing.I am thinking of extreme coexisting in the same universe on one side you got the real poor wearing medieval style fashion and the rich and powerful would be wearing more futuristic clothing.

So far i not been really hitting the color palette i found in most of the futurism fashion i am looking at.My palette would need more beige brown,white and black.But i also have faction color i want to incorporate so that every character can read as being from a different faction.

I only recently started playing more with color so i am still going to learn alot when it come to pairing color.