Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would say for more futuristic looks, the materials and how they are treated (cuts, patterns) is what gives it that feel, since futuristic just means ahead of the present ha ha, or you know, newer? But all future becomes the past eventually so, just go nuts! Maybe the future is another dark age ha? Jokes.
(05-01-2020, 10:30 AM)Rotohail Wrote: [ -> ]I would say for more futuristic looks, the materials and how they are treated (cuts, patterns) is what gives it that feel, since futuristic just means ahead of the present ha ha, or you know, newer? But all future becomes the past eventually so, just go nuts! Maybe the future is another dark age ha? Jokes.
I should definitively mess more with pattern.Must i also need to add more props to my character for the viewer to get time period cue.Right now i was more focus on heavy costume design instead of props who i feel are more time consuming due to the fact they have to show volume instead of simply fitting around the character character or messing with the silhouette of the character.
Well you could give them some intricate device hanging from the belt/waist or the arm, something with small details, that feels machined? Stuff like that seems to indicate cultural progress. Like some sci-fi "watch" or tool of some kind.
Hmm, not sure I follow, do you mean you were focusing more on the silhouette/graphic read? Well you can still work it in that way, just do a shape and break it down into a smaller hierarchy of details (I struggle with this, end up with blobs or noise ha ha), although yeah some details will wrap around the form/volume so it sometimes doesn't work well enough unless you start defining from. It's all about knowledge, or that's what I tell myself, so just keep trying!
Nice work on the latest batch of character designs, all of them look very unique and different from each other. Creative work all around, looking forward to more updates!
This the final costume of my futuristic series.Tried to go for a more character select look on this one.

Stay tune for the next chapter of my journey.
Teaser for my redesign project can you guess who this is?
In a galaxy far far away.
I am the most famous smuggler of the star wars universe.Who am i?
Oh boy i can already feel i am entering a swamp full of creature ready to devour me.But no gain without pain.So here some gesture drawing because i am strongly leaking in that area of my work.I should really dust off my villipu gesture drawing book.What i find unique about what i am doing is idk where i took this approch i can say for sure if it working or not bad i am trying to be more expressive and free i feel that if i worry to much about proportion or structure i am gonna turn the gesture into a stiff mess.

This for a project where i create a few gesture drawing that transpire the personality of the character.The style isn't there yet so i think additional sketch will be necessary.

I wanted to communicate that my character is adventurous so let me know what you think.
I created 3 color option to start to think more about my color choose and try not to stick with my first color choose.I am doing this because of the possibiliy that someone will one day art direct me so i need to be able to offer more option than one.Also it useful to something try other option to get better color than what you would have stick with if you did not tried something else.
To celebrate reaching 100 reputation cap here my character design project i been working on trying to combine what i learn from wrinkle and i can clear tell i still have a good amount of anatomy revision specially those damn leg change so much in shape as there turn .Didn't focus my time on creating a pose or gesture since i explored them ealier this was more to resolve the costume and is face and is hairstyle.I have rarely even been drawing character where there perspective involve so it was something relatively new and honestly this was something i was pushing aside from along time i was mostly representing thing by ''cheating perspective''.I feel like there an issue with the perspective of the foot right now he obviously looking like he floating so any paint over on that would be nice.

This will be rendered in the style of Miyazaki

Let me know what you think.
Hey darktiste! Nice job on reaching such a milestone! You have made a lot of progress from page 1 to say the least, but there are still some fundamentals you seem to be lacking. Is there a special reason to why you do not use lineweight (atleast from what I can see). Some thicker lines on the overlapping shapes would probably help you a lot. 

Also, I know that it was not the focus of the last piece, but i strongly encourage you to go back and study perspective/gesture to improve your character concepts. The quality will go up a lot if you try to push the perspective the bit and think of the characters and concepts as actual 3D shapes in space (Made this quick drawing to show what I mean):

[attachment=116447]

Keep posting! The progress so far has been really good, and I can tell you will go far if you keep it up!  Thumbs_up

Edit: Posted wrong picture, sorry.
To Zorrentos

The line thickness as to do with the style of Miyazaki and for the pose it because it just distract from the problem i was trying to solve like i said in the comment.I think my biggest obstacle right now is anchoring done the feet on my character on the ground i rarely ever think of the x y z axis even if i had some sucess with it for a brief moment.I am primarly focus on communicating idea so some fundamental like perspective have taken the back seat.But i think it important for believability.Perspective is such a unforgiving fundamental i think it why i avoid it.Some say focus on what your good at will some suggest to work on what your weak at and that where i can get torn apart.I am trying to find the balance of both world.
My opinion on that is that we usually "over-practice" what we are good at. I myself am very guilty of this.

Also remember the old saying: "If you are not making mistakes, you are not practicing hard enough".
(05-22-2020, 04:43 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: [ -> ]My opinion on that is that we usually "over-practice" what we are good at. I myself am very guilty of this.

Also remember the old saying: "If you are not making mistakes, you are not practicing hard enough".
Well  maybe i am also guilty of not showing sketchy drawing.It like everything i show need to be ''flawless'' by flawless i mean the linework mostly even if i like the look of sketch it like i don't want to show my sketch because it the problem solving stage and i feel like people are not exactly sure about what i am problem solving and it require a deal of description.I prefer that my work speak for it self it either good or bad i shouldn't be the one explaining what i was trying to achieve unless i feel i fail to achieve it even if i completed it.I am certainly protective of my work and i try to open up in that realm.
Hey man, just some quick comments on your last update. The figure looks pretty stiff and flat I suggest drawing the body first with cubes and cylinders to get a more structured sense of how the figure is sitting in the space.

I also notice some major anatomy flaws, specially in the neck area and upper torso. It might be worth going back and take several days just drilling some figure drawing fundamentals.

Good luck dud.
(05-22-2020, 07:01 AM)Jeso Wrote: [ -> ]Hey man, just some quick comments on your last update. The figure looks pretty stiff and flat I suggest drawing the body first with cubes and cylinders to get a more structured sense of how the figure is sitting in the space.

I also notice some major anatomy flaws, specially in the neck area and upper torso. It might be worth going back and take several days just drilling some figure drawing fundamentals.

Good luck dud.

Thank for the imput Jeso i spoted the neck by myself when i came back after letting it rest but your right my figure are stiff i keep deflecting it with the idea that i am more concern about other stuff right now i think it will correct itself as i draw more figure in perspective like you suggested.I am not trying to go into into the illustration realm so i am limiting my gesture to be somewhat less dynamic so that thing read more than they communicate an action but idk right now that might just be some limitation i have toward more dynamic pose.It more of a character sheet than a illustration if you see what i mean.I tried to start with a different view then i normally do where the character is facing us because i knew it would be a challenge for me.Even with my few years in art.Figure isn't my strongest suit it such a complex subject i rarely ever get to build enough confidence to even get close to touching it but i am starting to break through.

Perhaps a draw over would show me how much i should listen to your advise.
well here is a super quick example of what i mean. Anatomy aside, if you draw the figure in 3d shapes first at least you'll have a much easier to follow guide, to draw your figure with volume and avoid making it look too flat.  I didnt use any perspective guides, just tried to see the figure inside a box.
Hi Darktiste, Zorrentos kind of beat me to it with his drawing, and what he said is very true. but I tried to draw close to the same pose, showing how perspective is applied regardless of the subject. It's somewhat of a misconception that if you are drawing something from front view, as opposed to at a 3/4 angle or any other angle, that you are looking at everything "front on" and therefore do not need to use perspective. The truth is, perspective is at work, or should be, in every single drawing, even your previous costume designs, although you could argue those were more supposed to be 2D like a fashion drawing template. 

But anyways, as you were saying yourself, you tend to kind of "cheat" perspective so you don't have to think about these things much. The truth is I do too. I think everyone is "cheating perspective" to some degree, it's just a matter of making it convincing!

So the reason the feet aren't convincing is that you drew them at eye level, but we would really be looking down at the feet. You tend to draw most things as if they are all at eye level, not looking up or down at them. There's always one point on the subject where this will be the case, but then every other point is looked up at, or down at, to some degree or another. Imagining a column next to the body, you can see that the body is subject to the exact same perspective. We are looking down at the feet, looking head on at the chest, and by the time we get to the head we are looking up at it.
As always, it's up to you what you are interested in working on. Just giving my 2 cents.
Thank for both critic guy i appreciate getting an other point of view as always.I think my biggest mistake was not simplifying my figure i was just looking at a reference that wasn't even that good.If you look at my drawing you can see the i have ellipse in there that relate to the concept you are sharing so i am kind aware of it.I think it just that i need to practice visualizing the horizon line.Since it was from reference without an horizon line it was harder for me to understand if i had made my figure from imagination it would be an other story.For me i think the ''cheat'' is mostly like you illustrated understanding where you see the top or the underside of and object and also the ellipse concept of understanding on thing wrap around the form.