Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It not that i refuse to change is costume it that i have no idea how to push it and still remain in the constraint.I want to add a bag i am not sure yet if i want it on is side or on is back.If you have an idea on how to enchance the design beside the cliché indiana jone hat it would be great.

The expression sheet is already in the task i am going to be doing toward the final image.

This is not the final pose this was the sketch ideation for the costume and is general proportion as well as is facial feature so please excuse the robotic look if you can.
Hey Darktiste.

Back there, you gave me very valuable advice about gesture and other stuff related how improving my work which I'm very appreciate till now. I think I'll try to help you in this case seems many already trying giving great advice on improving your work yet you seems kinda struggle? or somehow you don't want do it because some reason?

I try seeing as many as your works. And I think you are lacking on observation skill. Many of your study just about one particular on shape and never finished on building to form even particular simple one. And I saw breaking 3 value study doesn't correctly done too.

I suggest do more drawing or sketch from life more. Highly suggest you just using your skecthbook and draw from real life (Every object is fine). Try Do this as often as possible. Don't use photo reference. This will help you sees differently and sense of observation. As you see from life everything is original from color to light and shadow.

If you have high keen sense of observation, you have much better feel on doing study from others artwork as you can break down easily on what you see. Hope that helps. Keep working :)
Hey there, great improvement!
You should really consider giving the drawabox website a go. I started it some weeks ago and from what I've seen it would be really beneficial to you too.

Good work!
I add myself to the advice of life-drawing, that helped me when I started doing studies and it works well when you are stuck not knowing what to do, it's core training I guess ha ha.

Austrian boy but what time period? Seems like the outfit as of now fits inside the traditional costume you can find googling austrian fashion but depending on time period you may find variations or other inspiration. If he's going on a hike you might want to consider also, the length of time, the terrain, and the climate before picking on satchel, coats, hats, thicker or thinner socks.
From the bio if they fear being alone and talk to animals, an animal companion, rat, ferret or what not, could solve those things and add another extra detail, you may want also to introduce animal designs on the clothing or symbols to reinforce the animal talker aspect.
I find it hard to choose certain color because they don't seem to fit the material.Like for example a yellow shoe is a super rare thing in general or pink pant would seem out of place.Some subject matter have crazy range of color that fit them.For example drawing a bird vs drawing something you want to look serious wouldn't have the same color decision making process.Color have symbolism i am slowly trying to think more about but sometime i just play with the hue/saturation option and let my color taste speak by itself.
Big improvement from the start of your sketchbook till now!
I think studying more of shape language and design can really help your character designs, especially with the silhouettes. I think this would go hand in hand also with more fundamentals as well
_spec-

Yea i have not been really praticing thumbnail that much i feel it an area of concept art i have been avoiding i feel like it as made me settle for design that aren't necessarly the one i should have pick.I need to expand on my ability to give myself more starting option and not be so bug down to push foward so rapidly and let myself explore so that i can iterate enough to get past the cliché and bad thumbnail.It doesn't even have to be some big change it can be changing only the proportion or removing or adding to a thumbnail.I still have the feeling like every thumnail as to be the next big thing and be clear to anyone who look at it so i am being to precious about my decision making.How i am suppose to build good design if i don't let myself make error that inform me where to go next.I can't expect to make everything perfect right away. I think it natural not to want to waste time making error but it certainly not a realistic expectation and certainly not an healthy expectation to have toward yourself.I make error and i should be as proud of those error as i am of the finish product because they
have serve to pave the way to the final result.
Here the thumbnail color i have choosen and a few expression to develop the character personality.Next is going to be the final image using a more dynamic gesture.

+ possibly A full turn around sheet.
I wanted at first to try to create a turn around with some perspective but i didn't felt confident enough to try it due to how i made the base sketch.Just this exercise alone was dealing with stuff i didn't really experimented with before like think of an object in more than one point of view.It can be hard to invent was you can't see and still make the view see it as the same character.Since i kinda planned before hand that i would be going in area i never really been experimenting with i didn't wanted to make the character design so complicated that i would drop the project mid way.I am still thinking about maybe doing a back view but i didn't really bother with a full frontal view since i did it so much before i didn't really saw the point either since there not much information we would be losing using on those two point of view.
Hi! The back of the character's head needs to be bigger (just look-up "shaved head seen from the side". At the moment your character is missing parts of his brain ^^
Thank i try to adjust that i need to draw more from other view clearly...
I hope he recovered a few IQ point.The change is barely noticeable but that just my eye i might still be off.
Hmm Is interesting, this side view ... the anatomy of the head is completely broken. I urge you to look up some reference for these drawings. The front view also looks really broken but that was passable from that angle. From this angle, even showing this will really damage your final product cause it tells people you have never studied a skull.
Well the reason it look broken from the ''front view'' is because it not a front view.For the profile view it would be interesting to hear what wrong about it beside the brain cavity being to small.I do use reference but it clearly need more practice in anatomy in general.I am kinda jumping a head of my own skill here clearly.But that great it expose some area i clearly need some work in.Now i am even more scared to show you my final drawing but i will make sure to pass it to more review from you guy since it clear i could use some gold nugget of insight from you guy.
Well that clearly the most dynamic pose i ever attempted.A paint over would be nice.So basicly the pose is Zeim climbing up on a rock formation he as a walking stick and is pointing toward something in the distance is body is twisting and is head to.
I made him look like he bare chest but that just to solve the gesture in a more simplified way.Maybe this is to much for my current skillset will see.
The head you done has weird proportions all over the place, it doesnt look like the features are sitting on any kind of skeletal structure. The nose looks like voldemorts nose. The ear is weirdly positioned and drawn, it doesnt look like an ear just looks like an oval with couple random lines inside. If you look at reference carefully you will see what i mean in a heart beat.

For your standing figure, again the anatomy is all broken. The pelvis looks like is disconnected and way too far away from the ribcage. The chest is way too tiny. The extended arm's mucles make no sense. The deltoid does not connect like that into the arm. Then again I cant even tell what position that arm is in. Is it facing down, or up.. That far leg makes no sense with the rest of the figure. His left upper arm is toooooooo tiny.

I'd recommend watching proko's beginner videos on anatomy and stuff you really really need it.
I think i have to clarify the overlapping of the shape.I got a small problem with text only critic.It might be good to explain theory but when it come to explaining anatomy it limited.It might explain me something but since i am more visual i won't necessarly see the error unless i am great at visualizing and it where you shouldn't assume someone ability to visualize because to you it might be clear but to me not necessarly.My eye isn't train to see like your eye do.It why i always enjoy a paint over because it clarify first what image your talking about and it also show me how wrong i am.

When it come to anatomy and stylisation it where thing get blurry since i am not necessarly sure of how much i can simplify and still get the information to read spacially.I certainly expect my proportion to be all over the place but that a work in progress so i am not stressing to much there still enough room for quick fix.

If you want a idea how what kind of stylisation i am going for check princess mononoke you understand why the nose and ears are strange to you.
I haven't checked back in a while. I have to say you have some admirable perseverance! You've taken a lot of criticism, but keep going anyways. And you have made a few changes which is really good. I definitely respect you for continuing to open your work up for critique and paintovers.

I think Jeso is being a little harsh maybe, but he's not necessarily wrong. Cicakkia had some frank advice as well. There still remain issues with fundamentals, mostly with figure drawing and 3D construction. You said in an earlier post that you simply don't find studying these things interesting, and you don't intend to do studies of them, preferring to just work on your personal projects (unless I'm misinterpreting what you said). So if that's the case, there's not really much left to say. Your work needs those skills developed, but you're not interested in doing that. So it just is what it is, I guess.

And I did say before that you don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you're happy with where you are, and you feel like you know best, then that's fine. You do you. But if you do want to get really good, then you might have to do some things you don't wanna, and swallow some truths that you don't wanna. 

You need to draw with good proportions, and 3D structure. I'm not going to pretend like my drawing is a Michelangelo or something, it's definitely not. Partly because that pose is very hard to draw without reference, and partly because I'm still learning, too. but hopefully you see a difference, and you don't think I'm just talking out my ass? Maybe I am, I dunno. 

You certainly can solve problems as you go, using projects as your practice, and learn a lot doing that in some cases. But likely you're going to have to take Cicakkia's advice and do many many drawings of subjects that may or may not interesting to you if you do hope to improve. I am sure it does get repetitive hearing variations of the same advice to go back to basics over and over. But it's because it's hard to critique without mentioning foundations. You ask us to critique the decoration of a cake without mentioning that underneath the frosting, it's just not cooked. 

For example with this gesture drawing. Sure we could say this arm should be longer, or this or that should be bigger, but the anatomy and structure just aren't there in general. It would be more fruitful to get you to a level where you could see most of those errors yourself and be able to correct them.
I think right now i want to go toward something new i know what i like and it going to be a new opportunity to try to approch my work with a more balance approch i know it involve alot of study of anatomy but it not human anatomy so it doesn't feel like i seen it all already.The problem of human anatomy is that brain is kinda bored already since it as seen so much human and think it know it from top to bottom(wish is obviously an illusion).With animal it more alien to your brain so it ''interesting'' to me.I hope to gain a better appreciation from 3d structure and anatomy by moving toward this area in my work.I said probably in the past that i wanted to be a creature designer but i am still unsure if i am more more interest to be a concept artist or to be more specialized.

I do appreciate the paint over it shown me i still have progress to do when it come to the range of motion of the body and how thing should have overlapped.Your right i am not that invested right now in improving those area but i might build the courage to do so i the future.Right now i can't even look at it without being disgust by my own skill.The shallowing of truth take some time with me apparently.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I think part of improvement is the actual drawing, and part is coming to terms with where you're at, and where you want to be. It can be really hard to do and takes time. But I think we all want to see you get closer to your goals. Good luck!