Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Meat House
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Next customer! Can I take your orders-I-mean-critique?

(Nothing here yet! Figured making a claim will be a commitment I gotta keep now. )
I would like to see a portrait study , hand study and a still life study and some gesture to make a general where you stand you can also scan old drawing or take photo of them.I would recommend to do 3 face 3 hand 3 life study and a lot of gesture drawing.After that people will come and help i am sure.
I went to Kyoto for a couple of days before returning home to the US. Half the time it was stressful 'cos I didn't speak a whiff of Japanese, and kept getting lost, but it was a very different experience on all the senses. I'm trying to pick up the pencil and the habit of sketching anywhere again.

This is Colori Cafe's open kitchen:
[attachment=37130]

A garden in Takao Tea House:
[attachment=37131]

Roasted chestnuts, and random nuts that kept falling off the tree and hitting me in the head:
[attachment=37132]

Okazaki tenojo:
[attachment=37133]

A ... thing, in Kurodami temple grounds:
[attachment=37134]

People in airplane seats:
[attachment=37135]

My hands, and a little spoon:
[attachment=37136]

Gesture of people in public transit:
[attachment=37137]
Playing around with oil paint on Mom's new mailbox.

[attachment=38280]
Face study
[attachment=38550]
Everyday I watched my morning sketch turn into afternoon sketch, turn into before-bed sketch, then turn into no sketch. Today there's an afternoon sketch that took longer than it looks:
[attachment=38666]
cool stuff, sketching anywhere is good I especially like the plane sketch and the top left of people in transit. Your line quality could use a little work (mostly on the man made objects), I'd like to see a painting from you (digital or traditional) and maybe a drawing that's a little more refined. Keep pushing yourself and posting up your progress ;).
(12-06-2013, 10:34 AM)JonHop Wrote: [ -> ]cool stuff, sketching anywhere is good I especially like the plane sketch and the top left of people in transit. Your line quality could use a little work (mostly on the man made objects), I'd like to see a painting from you (digital or traditional) and maybe a drawing that's a little more refined. Keep pushing yourself and posting up your progress ;).

Thanks! Yeah I'm real green at drawing geometric shapes and hard surface objects. In fact the only thing I'm somewhat confident at drawing are animals, and naked people. Except faces. Those are hard too. Lol, everything is hard!
[attachment=38864]
cool! dig the out and about sketches. I need to do more of that myself. -keep it up! :D
Hey nice monkey try to give him even more volume
To be honest, it's maybe a good idea to work on the line, but your sketches have a lot of nice energy and some kind of flow. Don't kill that. I think that line cleans up with time. You kind of know in advance where to put the line without "interpolating" it on paper.
Thanks Darktise, I will note on the monkey for volume. Right now I have a list of these fantasy creatures that I"m trying to do a sketch pass, then a painted/color pass, then lastly a habitat/environment pass for each creature on the list. Do you think I should go for volume now, or do that in the painted pass?

Kerm: thanks! Did you mean the messy pen-on-paper sketches? I'm quite rusty and half the time I'm uncertain where to put that pen tip or where the line should go next. Lack of practice for years I think. Even my high school sketches looked more assured than these. Also shaky train/subway/bus contributes to shaky lines, hahaha!

Here's a WIP of a gift painting where I'm having trouble depicting mountain full of fluffy autumn trees. The photo made the colors seem more vibrant than what I'm seeing..... that, or the shiny oil is not letting me see what those colors really look like, and the camera has just revealed a vivd truth!

[attachment=39138]

It seems when people find out I'm an artist half the time they ask for free drawing/full painting. I don't know if they ask authors for free biography and poems when they meet them. Or a free sonata for their mother when they meet a musician. Why only visual artists??? 7 Wonders of the World...
People on train, and some marble statues.
[attachment=39180]
i would recommend you to try use that kind of shading(crosshatching) and use it on the face to bring roundness to it
(12-14-2013, 09:25 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]i would recommend you to try use that kind of shading(crosshatching) and use it on the face to bring roundness to it

I'll try but no guarantees! They don't stay in sight long enough, and if they catch you sketching their face, half the time they give you a displeased, sometimes a real nasty, look.
Ok then try to map the core shadow it easier then crosshatching
Challenging drawing see-through materials. Attempt 1 = a crystal unicorn figurine. Beaten pretty badly, and half the time I had no idea what or where I was looking at the second before. Too many tiny details, and they change or disappear with the slightest shift of my head position.

I think I have to either 1.) simplify, don't draw everything I see, and 2.) define the outer edges with darker background...

[attachment=39198]
Nice stuff here! I especially like your life drawings, keep it up, man.
fuck yeah keep workin on those pencils
Those public transit gestures look great! Drawing people in public is a fun challenge. I'd love to practice it if I only had more of an opportunity. Do the people ever notice you drawing them?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20