Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Mike's Intro to Digital Painting in Photoshop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be teach an actual Digital Painting Class this Fall and I want to invite members of the Forum to join as I Livestream my demonstrations and follow along with the assignments on the Crimson Dagger Forum.

***I will created a separate thread for the class in November***

Only the demonstrations will be streamed. From 6pm-9pm I'll be doing 1-2 demos, after I wrap up the demos the stream will turn off for the class to work and for me to address individual needs, this should be the same for anyone following along live; listen, then work, then post your work/questions/concerns.

**Important**
The class sessions will be Livetreamed from my actual physical class in Austin, TX
I will not be able to answer questions during the stream as I will be focusing my attention to the students in the physical classroom at the University of Texas. They are paying students and it would be unfair for me to divide my attention during the class demos.

Any questions about assignments or communication about the video demonstrations will have to be posted on this thread for me to read after the sessions have taken place.

With that said, I will critique all the pieces posted in the forums and address all the photoshop questions asked in the forum, just not during the actual demos as they happen live.

The class will take place November 11th - December 4th Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6pm-9pm

There will be no classes Thanksgiving week. November 25th and 27th

The course is for beginners and will cover techniques and workflows that can be used in Photoshop. Fundamentals will be touched on when necessary, but this is a class focused on teaching Photoshop as a tool for illustration, not a general art class.

All the basics will be covered in the first week with students expected to demonstrate techniques and post sketches and work (finished or unfinished) in this class thread.

***I will created a separate thread for the class in November***

Besides the basics of the program, I will cover workflows commonly used in illustration and concept art. These techniques can be useless without a strong foundation in the fundamentals of drawing and painting.

Here is the outline of what will be covered:

Course Outline
Every class will include demonstrations that the students will follow along with and time allotted for work review and critiques as they begin to work on techniques from previous classes and explore the possibilities.

Class 1
 Introduction to the workspace
 Setting up hotkeys/tablet
 Introduction to tools
 Demonstration: Custom Brush Creation

Class 2
 Student portraits with instructor assistance
 Demonstration: Portrait with question and answers

Class 3
 Demonstration: Custom Shapes
 Demonstration: Rorschach Ideation Critiques and Showcase

Class 4
 Demonstration: Photobashing/Photo Textures
 Demonstration: Photo Component Robots Critiques and Showcase

Class 5
 Demonstration: Smudge method
 Demonstration: Sketch-Up Environments Critiques and Showcase

Class 6
 Demonstration: Character/creature Ideation Critiques and Showcase
 Online Resources and Forums

So just to make things clear, during the Livestream demos my attention will be solely on my physical class and their questions. I'll repeat questions asked and address them to the stream, and all the work I do will be captured on the stream for everyone to watch.

The students in the physical class have paid a fee in order to attend, it is an informal class offered at the University of Texas. Because they are paying students I will devote all my attention to them during the Livestream demos. I will address questions and posts on this thread after the Live events have taken place, just understand that my class comes first in the case of the Live Demos.

All the videos will be saved to the Livestream Archive on my channel for future viewing.

Only the demonstrations will be streamed. From 6pm-9pm I'll be doing 1-2 demos, after I wrap up the demos the stream will turn off for the class to work and for me to address individual needs, this should be the same for anyone following along live, listen, then work, then post your work/questions/concerns.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++LINKS++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My channel can be accessed here: http://www.livestream.com/mciii

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/mike086

If you are in Austin, TX you can attend the class in person if you want. That information can be found here: Only click here if you can attend in person (aka you live in Austin, TX)

If you are in Austin and can't make the class feel free to contact me about the weekly sketch night we have in Austin: My Facebook page
The first demo will be on Tuesday November 11th, during the class demo I'll be logging onto the forum and creating the thread for everyone to post during that session.
(11-04-2014, 03:17 PM)Mike086 Wrote: [ -> ]The first demo will be on Tuesday November 11th, during the class demo I'll be logging onto the forum and creating the thread for everyone to post during that session.

Is there a way to download livestreams, really don't want to miss this but sadly I won't be able to watch.
yep will the livestream be recorded, since its in the middle of the night for me.
Thanks
(11-08-2014, 03:49 AM)monsterism Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2014, 03:17 PM)Mike086 Wrote: [ -> ]The first demo will be on Tuesday November 11th, during the class demo I'll be logging onto the forum and creating the thread for everyone to post during that session.

Is there a way to download livestreams, really don't want to miss this but sadly I won't be able to watch.

The streams remain on my archive and can be played back after the live session, go to my blog to view class info and watch the sessions, this first one had Technical difficulties.....but we got into the swing of things after those hiccups.

(11-11-2014, 09:20 PM)Richie Wrote: [ -> ]yep will the livestream be recorded, since its in the middle of the night for me.
Thanks

Rich, check out my blog for class updates, and the Class Thread in the "Class" forum.