Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The 10000 Hour Rule - Art Edition - 7626/10,000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
New Stuff

Desert Study
[Image: Desertplaincopy.jpg]

Colour Roughs, these are so much fun :D

[Image: Colourroughs13thjunecopy.jpg]

Speed paint thingy
[Image: cannoncopy.jpg]

Portrait from imagination, using ref a bit though. Learning from these I think :)
[Image: 2refportrait15thjunecopy.jpg]

More colour thumbs
[Image: colourthumbs15thJunecopy.jpg]

More thumbs
[Image: Development12thJunecopy.jpg]

More more thumbs
[Image: thumbnailingjuneillustration1copy.jpg]

Gonna push one soooooon,

Oh, and some sketchbook stuff
[Image: 13thJune.jpeg]
New stuff
Gestures
[Image: gestures16thjunecopy.jpg]

Comp Studies
[Image: compstudies16thjunecopy.jpg]

Colour Roughs
[Image: colourthumbs16thJunecopy.jpg]

Speedpaint
[Image: swordguy-16thjunecopy.jpg]

And a WIP, I'd love any feedback on this one btw. Gotta push it as far as I can
[Image: spearguycopy.jpg]
Passed 2100 Hours Here

Yesterday's Stuff

Gestures
[Image: gestures17thjunecopy.jpg]

Comp Studies
[Image: compstudies17thjunecopy.jpg]

Colour Thumbs
[Image: colourthumbs17thJunecopy.jpg]

Speedpaint thing
[Image: Dudeonahillcopy.jpg]

WIP, a bit more progress
[Image: spearguycopy-1.jpg]

<3

sushiCUBE

Good luck with your 10 000 hours goal ! Less than 8000 hours more :P ! Some good improvements already !
great updates as always dude!

As far as a crit for your latest piece, theres a few things which you could address which ive noticed. Firstly is the comp, and the fact that it feels like it's really windy or stormy from the way everything is being pulled to the left but it feels quite static at the same time, especially with the guy being on a vertical with the trees and with his facial expression not looking all that concerned with his surroundings. On the subject of comp too, the cape which runs across the bottom left of the page and the spear are acting as arrows and are pulling the eye outside the image. I would perhaps recommend (or at least experimenting) with using the cape to loop round to draw the eye back. Drapery is pretty versatile to use it to your advantage ^ ^
In terms of anatomy, the hair looks pretty weird, especially the way it's all blowing in one massive heap. Grabbing some ref with that would probably sort that problem out. Check out this piece from Tylor Jacobson, this is kinda what i imagine that hair to look like :p
[Image: Drizzt-Sundering---Tyler-Jacobson_zps14937202.jpg]
Final thing is to just pull that right shoulder up abit, the arm seems a little low.

Hope this helps dude, abit blunt but i know you can handle it ;) Lookin forward to more updates from you and seeing this piece pushed further, your improvements are always motivating.
sushiCube - Haha yup, nearly there ;) Thank you

Warburton - Boom! Love your crits man, thank you. All of that made sense, think I've applied most of it? You're totally right about the drapery and the spear etc. Everything was pointing away from the focal point/past it. Think it works a little better now. I tried to get the cloak to swoop round, to point back at him, wasn't happening though. Hopefully the hair look a little more like hair now as well? Thanks again, helped a TON!.

Gestures
[Image: gestures18thjunecopy.jpg]

Comp studies
[Image: compstudies18thjunecopy.jpg]

WIP, hopefully gonna finish this piece today, any tweaks or changes would be cool now though <3

[Image: spearguycopy-2.jpg]

hmm, for some reason it looks way dark via photobucket. You get the idea, I'll have to play around with that...
New Stuff

Crappy still life
[Image: stilllife19thjunecopy.jpg]

Speedpaint thing
[Image: explosionsuitguycopy.jpg]

Portrait Studies
[Image: portraitstudiescopy.jpg]

Think I've finished with this as well now. All the feedback I got with this helped a ton, thanks all.

[Image: spearguycopy-3.jpg]

And a progress gif <3
[Image: spear-guy-1.gif]
Hey man, Loving the amount of work you are putting in.

The latest painting came out great.

I think i much preferred the last colour/value scheme for it though, the previous update was far more filmic and was staying away from the modern cinema trope of orange and teal, I think it really hurt the image exaggerating your values like that.

The other issues i have with the image is that there seems to be a light source sitting a few inches off his head, otherwise that lighting on that part of the character would not work. Again i preferred the previous version as it was more believable.

The other issues is that i feel that too many of your forms end up being really circular or smooth. and there isn't enough emphasis on finding interesting shapes. Check out his arm and how the sleeve doesn't variate from the cylinder much at all!
OtherMuzz - Thank you. Yeah, I had a little play around with it, and I think you're right. The colour scheme had got a little out of control. I've reduced the rim lighting a bit now, and moved the colour scheme away from orange/blue a little. It's not perfect, but I'm gonna move onto the next piece. I can only tweak this one so much before losing my mind. Just going to have to make sure to plan the piece more thoroughly next time. Thanks a ton for the feedback, some great points, I'll make sure to apply them in the next one. :D.

Pretty chilled day yesterday. Just did this long form still life (to make up for the weird one from the other day - whoops)

[Image: stilllife20thjunecopy.jpg]

And tweaked this a little, I'd gone too far with the lighting. Just reigned it back in a little.
This is going to have to be the final, gotta move on before it drives me crazy lol <3

[Image: spearguycopy-4.jpg]
Your work's coming along great, man, especially that last still life study. I really dig the last character you've done, and overall the rendering and lighting turned out well. There's not much going on in terms of "story" however. I don't get a sense for who this guy really is or where he is and what's happening around him. I think having a clearer sense for these things will help to push your design even further ( it's sure as shit something I'm currently struggling to work on) Keep kicking "dat ass".
Awesome stuff, man. That latest still life looks great. Just keep doing what you are doing and great things will happen!
MrFrenik - Cheers man, yeah you're totally right. I'll be totally honest, I didn't think about story anywhere near enough. My main focus with that one was just to get some movement. So many of my pieces so far have just been a dude stood still, staring into the camera, wanted to mix it up a bit. Story is key though, so I'll be focusing on that with the next piece. :D

Alexson - Thanks dude, haha, fingers crossed ;)

New shiiiiiiit

Comp studies
[Image: compstudies21junecopy.jpg]

Gestures
[Image: gestures21stjunecopy.jpg]

Design Studies
[Image: Designstudies21junecopy.jpg]

Gross speedpaint
[Image: rockguycopy.jpg]

Thumbs for a new piece
[Image: thumbs21Junecopy.jpg]

Character studies for said piece
[Image: characterstudiescopy.jpg]

And designs
[Image: trapcharacterscopy.jpg]

[Image: trapcharacters2copy.jpg]

And the kinda rough lines, trying to go for more of a story with this one, gonna be a challenge
[Image: ItsaTrapcopy.jpg]
great stuff man ;O
Good jooob !
cool stuff; interested to see the progress on this one
Nimao - Cheers man :D

Heavenwill - Thank you

MrFrenik - Cheers Dude, Fingers crossed it comes out alright :D

New stuff

Studies
[Image: samuraistudiescopy.jpg]

Yesterday's Quick thing
[Image: samuraicopy.jpg]

And progress on the illustration
[Image: ItsaTrapcopy-1.jpg]
New Stuff

Quick Arab Guy
[Image: Arabcopy.jpg]

WIP
[Image: ItsaTrapflatcopy.jpg]
Hey man this latest piece is coming along well.

I would probably recommend pushing the depth in the image though, if i was doing it i would bring the camera in closer, and show the treasure the man has better, and push the robbers further into the bg. I think it would also be sweet to make it sunset and have really long foreboding shadows streaking down the image.

Just a few ideas anyhow :)

[Image: TRARf.jpg]

Ps. 4:3 sucks for dynamic compositions.
Hey Jake! Been watching your stuff for a while and I've gotta join the choir in singing of your improvement thus far.

I've never seen an approach quite like your when it comes to art, and I believe that as you progress it will net you some stellar results.

In my opinion, the thing that will take you to the next level will be to work on making your images more volumetric and dimensional. I'm reading a lot of your shapes as flat, when I'm certain you intend for them to pop.

The best things to study for increasing dimension in your work in my experience have been:

-Still lifes
-Planes (the fundamental, not the aircrafts)
-Lighting scenarios (and really reserving highlights for appropriate areas)
- constantly doing the "squint test" to see how your values are reading, or desaturate your picture.
-heavy value studies.

Just jump into any one of those areas and be more mindful of your forms and I'm sure you'll see improvement really soon. Keep up the epic studies.
yea i second what the guy above said,

really balanced study approach and great improvement :) keep on keeping on
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41