Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Neopatogen Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
From what i understand the face as great value in creating emotion and creating a link with the viewer so be sure to alway take this idea into the draw so that the character is not outbalanced by the outfit but is in harmony with it.It a principle of design call harmony.
Did a fake "study from life" like in optional assignment here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4VInmV...ZLcGc/view hopefully it helps me to do better color/mood thumbnails for my diner illustration. As I want to make two versions for 2 wolrd perception modes of the videogame character, tried to play with color a bit here too. What I was mostly fascinated while sitting there was the lanterns which the camera was unable to capture. Need to spend more time paintingfrom life with watercolors next time.
Ey!

Last post on the previous page, them lines bruh, love 'em :)
You have a real nice and structured approach to your studying, with theoretical application and imaginative work afterwards. 
Changing color and mood in an environment like that seems like a pretty good exercise, have to try it out myself! 
You could easily do some cool cyberpunk nightclub based on that study you did.
Thanks everyone!
Bunch of studies that I found on my hard drive, next post is going to be original work
@Adzerak yep I actually did an illustration but it's not a club but rather a retro diner.
My retrofuturistic project here and some sketches for Art war which I decided not to develop further, but let them be here. The diner illustration is actually very big and detailed  (on my Artstation) but I only post 1200 px on this forum:) The character's face coloring was pretty much a fail, might return to it later. Also started looking at architecture a bit.
I love how meticulous you are Neo! I think investing some time in figure drawing fundamentals would add a lot to your work, mainly gesture and trying to loosen up; Maybe the book Force by Matthew Matessi would be a good thing to look into, add a bit of artistry into your sketches will pay off big ;)
Thanks Fedodika! Yep I want to get more loose too. Will work on that.
Sketching an evil stylised froggish character
Really awesome characters--my favorite is the mechanic, with the red/black/white color scheme going on. Way to tackle a big scene, too!

On the leg bones, I've been working on the proko anatomy stuff too. My best guess on the leg bones was that the leg was tilted in the same way the pelvis was--as if the person was standing on their toes, falling away from the viewer, into the screen.
Man, the retrofuturistic stuff looks really good. Very nice rendering.
I also like seeing all of the little studies converging towards the finished pieces.
Thank you Toranja and Tygerson!
I 'll probably need to fix the mechanic, her face bugs me most

Gave up on this version of illustration/creature, but here are some WIPs and other sketches
Attempted doing a stylised character. Some sketches and studies here too.
I'm really liking the creature designs, and it's cool to see how you visualize them from the inside out. I love the beach creature in the end, although the severed limb seems a bit out of place in the image. But I like the colors, batlike face, and beautifully swirly tail! You bring in the fish-like elements seamlessly.
oh boy!! this is on the right track, you have improvised a lot O.O, mmm for these figures try to forget for a moment these lines of perspective and try to draw curves in space and draw cubes-cylinders following that flow, exaggerate the natural curves of the body just to experiment . ^^
Hello!
Wow you have so many great studies and works here!
I think you are doing great 

Regarding  the last paint over image of the buildings at night, it could help to achieve a more natural look by matching to the blacks of the reference. 
For example in the midground you added the guy with the lantern but his values are very dark like the foreground. If you were to match the dark value in the modground to the dark value of the night camera reference in midground it would make it look like it belongs better. It's just a minor note tho, sorry if this was too long. 

Keep up the great work!
It's been a while since I last posted :)
thank everyone who commented,
here's a study I did today (pencil is from last week though), going from 2 values up to color and thinking about edges
Same with multiple objects now, thought about composition and grouping values

Didn't have time for color this time, and at 5 values stage alost stopped thinking about edges
Hope it's going to help me with my value thumbs

[attachment=112048]

upfate, I think it looks bettter
[attachment=112049

now time's up
OMG,
You are doing immense amount of studies. Sorry, just can't help you with any critique, to my mind you are doing really great just keep going!
It's been a while since I posted in sketchbook (alhough I did post in World building group, won't be uploading that stuff in here).
Some recent work for Skyblivion mod, I decided to challenge myself with environments since I used to focus on creatures most of the time.[attachment=115826][attachment=115827][attachment=115828][attachment=115829][attachment=115830][attachment=115831]
More enviros upcoming, so I learned a little about composition today and tried to apply that to quick comps  from imagination, making notes along the way.[attachment=115833]
thats a very... Swell well ;)
Hey there, love your work, been following it for a while :), hope you don't mind this quick paintover.

Something that would improve your sketches a lot is simply some more conscious overlapping and transitional shapes, stuff that just lets your forms read better and makes your drawing feel more reliable, more sound, like you put the lines down with authority and confidence.

[Image: sqnKhZK.png]

[Image: LnZ1KYE.png]

In those I added a bit of lighting but that's just because it's a quick and easy way to show overlap, you can also do it with lineweight and ink blobs.

[Image: eCgA5YO.png]

do not think of it as just "the original sketch, but taken further, more rendered", it's not "rendering it more" it's just making the viewer feel more confident in their experience of your sketch, reinforcing the placement of the elements of your design by accentuating the qualities of your transitioning and overlapping elements, it doesn't even need to be real lighting, it's just light on dark, you want a ball to REALLY feel l ike it's resting on the ground?, add a small blob of ink where it touches the ground, you want the side of a bucket to really scream "HEY, I'M CLOSER TO YOU THAN THE OTHER SIDE", reinforce that overlap with another blob of black ink behind it, ideally creating a line that contrasts with the line of said overlapping object, diagonals are really good for this.

[Image: Mr1QMHX.png]

it's not even real lighting it's just bullshit, it's light on dark, it's opposing lines, it's making 2 different points in the design feel different by giving them different qualities (light/dark, horizontal/vertical/diagonal, large/small)
none of this makes your sketches take longer, you can simply do it as you go, and not only the viewer but also YOU will feel much more confident in the design you've put down, and will be able to feel and assess its qualities better.

[Image: 6PB6Lu2.png]

and then of course, a quick 2 plane lighting block in alone already gives you so much information about the forms

[Image: h1nOJEt.png]

remember to make the direction of those ink shapes different from the ones around them(right), or they'll just feel like part of their design (left), it's the good old contrast principle, different things have different qualities :P.

[Image: xXkwr3l.png]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13