Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Mecha S.M.A.R.Tens up his goals!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, while I've made some good progress towards my goal of drawing every day, I've realized that I need to S.M.A.R.Ten up a bit. I need more oxygen going to my brain, not less. Watched Amit's S.M.A.R.T Goals vid again. Thanks bud!

Basic Changes

I'm smartening up with my scheduling. Not knowing just what I should be achieving each day and when to get to work is holding me back. Having an abysmal sleep pattern isn't helping. I'm setting bedtime as 1 A.M at the very latest, 11 P.M preferably. I'm writing down my goals for each day so I know what I am doing. I am going to plan for timesharing with other tasks (like my writing).

There's a bit of life stuff I have to work around. I have to be available to help take care of my grandmother during most of the afternoon (1 P.M to 8 P.M or whenever someone is available to take over). Fortunately I work at home so this is not a problem. I can draw indoors at that time, but I want to get outside for some plant studies, so I'm going to plan to get out in the morning for that stuff.

My S.M.A.R.T Goals

I'm going to complete all the Dynamic Sketching homework and the Challenges at Draw a Box over a period of 25 days, starting now.
  1. Basics Lessons (kind of cheating, this are pretty much complete).
  2. Plants (exercise pages, 2 filled pages of lay-ins, 8 pages of plant drawings)
  3. Insects and Arachnids (2 filled pages of lay-ins, 8 pages of bug drawings)
  4. Animals (2 filled pages of lay-ins, 8 filled pages of animal drawings)
  5. Everyday Objects (2 filled pages of lay-ins, 8 filled pages of appliances etc.).
  6. Vehicles (2 filled pages of lay-ins, 8 filled pages of vehicles)
Concurrently, I shall complete the three challenges at Draw a Box.
  1. 250 Box Challenge At a minimum, I'm going to draw 25 boxes a day. At that rate I shall complete this challenge in ten days.
  2. 250 Cylinder Challenge Once done with the boxes, I shall do the cylinder challenge. Again, minimum rate of 25 cylinders a day to complete task in ten days.
  3. Texture Challenge On a grid layout, I study 25 different textures and take notes. Then I go back and try to go from dark to light using those textures. I shall study ONE texture a day, because I know it will make me want to cry.
Time Limit: 25 Days from today, the 9th of July

Just to make things more difficult for myself, I shall throw in an extra S.M.A.R.T goal relevant to these basics. I want to assign myself homework to practice what I'm learning from Scott Robertson, so I'm giving myself a "Draw 100" perspective grid challenge.

The "My God, It's Full of Perspective!!!!" Challenge.

Draw 100 freehand perspective grids in pen.
  1. 30 One-Point Grids 
  2. 40 Two-Point Grids 
  3. 30 Three-Point Grids
Time Limit: 20 Days from today, the 9th of July

That's generous enough, I hope. I shall post my progress in my SB so you guys can hold me accountable. No more changes to the plan, this is it guys!

Is This S.M.A.R.T?

Are these goals S.M.A.R.T? Well, they are definitely Specific. I have set out exactly what homework I am going to do. They are Measurable. I will definitely know whether I've drawn a bunch of boxes and grids or not (I hope, lol). I believe that these goals are Achievable. Are they Relevant? Since these goals all have to with basic drawing fundamentals, they are all relevant to my overall goal of drawing awesome spaceships and vehicles and characters. I'll be using perspective and form and observational skills in all my drawing in the future.

So, yes, I think these goals are  S.M.A.R.T! :D But tell me what you think, guys. Got any suggestions?

Ready, Set, Go!!

The last thing Amit said was to actually go out and put our goals into action, and not just make this wonderful goal and sit on your ass for the rest of the month. So I wrote down my tasks for tomorrow on a piece of paper. I shall achieve them, and do likewise for the day after that. One step at a time, I shall achieve my goal.

One final note–rewards and punishments. These are an effective motivator, and help me get my priorities straight. I like reading SF books (right now, I'm reading Harry Turtledove's "Worldwar" series). Also like spending a bit of time on forums etc. To keep myself honest, I will only allow myself these things AFTER my work for the day has been done. Not before, not if I don't complete my work. It's not really so much as a "punishment" thing, more that if I've got work to do, I should do that work before fun. Fun is a reward for having done the work.  These measures shall be strictly enforced.

In the words of the Race from "Worldwar", it shall be done. :-)
Looking good Mech.

These goals look like they are definitely Specific, Measureable and Timebound. Achievable and Realistic you will be in a better position to answer once you given these a go.

I would also suggest you make a very rough note of how long it takes you to complete each task so you can use that information for future estimates. Remember, if you don't meet your deadlines, it might not be that you didn't work hard enough, it might be that your initial estimates were a bit off so don't beat yourself up too much.

Good idea to include reward and punishment too - hooking into the pleasure and pain principle that Crackedskull wrote about in his Guide To Productivity thread.

Good luck mate - get to it!
Hey Artloader!

Thanks for the advice, man, this makes a lot of sense. Uncomfortable (the guy who runs Draw a Box) saw my goal and told me that 25 days is pretty intense. In Peter Han's course, he had a week to tackle each Dynamic Sketching exercise. Five days per lesson still seems pretty generous to me, so I'll just see how it goes.

Quote:I would also suggest you make a very rough note of how long it takes you to complete each task so you can use that information for future estimates. Remember, if you don't meet your deadlines, it might not be that you didn't work hard enough, it might be that your initial estimates were a bit off so don't beat yourself up too much.

Great idea, I'll do that. Once I find my own pace, I'll adjust future goals accordingly so that it meets the Achievable criteria.

I'm on it man! :-)
Oh wow, these are some excellent and very concise goals!! Your drive inspires me!! I also took a look at your sketchbook; some awesome stuff going on in there. Your art muscles are gonna be so beefy by the time you hit all these goals!

Rooting for ya! :D
(07-12-2016, 12:02 PM)Arapersonica Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wow, these are some excellent and very concise goals!! Your drive inspires me!! I also took a look at your sketchbook; some awesome stuff going on in there. Your art muscles are gonna be so beefy by the time you hit all these goals!

Rooting for ya! :D

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Can't wait until I'm bulging all over like Arnold Schwarzenegger. :3