Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Venom piece ( study)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
I just got back on the forum, I've been a little busy this past few months. Right now im getting back to studying my fundamentals, I'm very concern about my forms and lighting what so ever, here I put on my latest art venom and spidey ,which I was trying to correct all of the lacking. Any suggestions? or critique to make this piece more interesting and unique? I'm having a hard time finding the wrong spots and to improve it's look. Anyway thanks for the help in advance..

cheers guys! Mean smile Hoping to get on track again.
There few things that are quite unpleasing to the eyes... Not in terms of colors or rendering... I think those look cute... But in terms of composition...

[Image: S835c8x.png]

The lines of action are kind of blocking the read of the image... that's why I flipped and that way it looks more appealing, cause that way there are no visual lines (lines in red) that block the read of the image, this way it guides the eye across the painting... Another thing that it's important is the main focus of the image... and guiding the eye towards that point should be your "major concern"... The problem in this piece is that theres A LOT going on... so it's hard to see where you should looks at... to Venom? to Spiderman? to Deadpool? the moon? I'd get rid of the moon cause it really adds noting to the painting, cause you can clearly see it's night time and it kind of takes away you focus (Cause of the contrast)

So yeah... I'm not an expert mind you, but that's my opinion. Just chose a target to focus and try to guide the eye towards that point!
well spidey and venom have fantastic poses, just venom's body looks weird. I think you could angle it in more to make a stronger C curve that would repel the C curve coming from his opposition. right now his torso is basically a box and is uncurving, but the legs look good. 

Its strange like parts of this image are holy CRAP good but like the background could use some work, maybe some motion blurs... maybe even more stuff to make the narrative stronger, cuz right now it feels like they're fighting on a very peaceful night where nothing else is going on. Maybe like some more police lights, or some rain or something or some explosions you know something to add to the tension :)

Really great stuff!
(01-08-2018, 11:10 PM)UselessPotato Wrote: [ -> ]The lines of action are kind of blocking the read of the image... that's why I flipped and that way it looks more appealing, cause that way there are no visual lines (lines in red) that block the read of the image, this way it guides the eye across the painting...
I agree with potato here. It seems to be a lack of focus onto a single character that is needed to give it that extra "oomph".

I do have a question for potato here because of my lack of knowledge, if it's alright to ask: 
I understand the composition might be a tad imbalanced because of the building and even the moon, but my question is why does it read better if it was flipped? Is it because it's easier to view things from left to right because we read in that way?

As for my 2 cents, I'd personally push the poses more. You can test this by blacking out each character to see if the pose reads just by the black figure. In this case Spidey's left arm could be pushed back more to add more tension to the fight and to add to him lifting up Venom's leg. This is a bit of what Fedodika said.

Also just for curiosity's sake, I'd love to see how the image would be altered if instead of them being up right so as to the building being vertical, how would it change if it was Horizontal in the same direction as the red line Potato made. Even just having glass shards in the air would really boost visual intensity.

Also really great rendering here.