Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: How to best collect Reference material
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it better to save and collect massive amounts of reference material on a personal hard drive,
or should I instead follow lots of various boards on Pinterest? 

On a Hard drive, I know where everything is, and I can cycle through the images quickly with my favorite image software
but what if it breaks, I lose it or the data get's corrupted?
All of that time- wasted.

Pinterest boards are ever increasing with size and variation, I can use tags to search for pics.
and I don't have to spend a massive amount of time saving and categorizing every image
But if I suddenly have a poor internet connection...good luck.

Thoughts?
Balance of both

You can get mileage with some reference overtime so it interesting to have a collection of some of the most interesting thing you can find.

For pinterest i would say use it for time to time if you need to work on different location it will save you having to rely on a external disk that can be lost.

Best is to avoid over collecting.Collecting reference eat alot of time it can be a trap sometime because on pinterest you jump from one board to an other use google first than pinterest if you can't find anything on google.Google as also a some option you can use to get certain image with specific requirement it hard to explain shortly so i advice you check careful how to do search on google

Sure is good to make sure to have a back up in case of hardware failure it an investement well spent if you ask me.Would you rather spend time create a back folder(can take up to 3hour depending on size and computer) or find each and every single thing you lost(probably impossible and so huge of a task that you will cry in a corner (well for me if it would happen to me).

There is also the cloud but i prefer a hard disk it just feel more personal and less dangerous to lose a password or something.
(01-09-2018, 07:39 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]Balance of both

You can get mileage with some reference overtime so it interesting to have a collection of some of the most interesting thing you can find.

For pinterest i would say use it for time to time if you need to work on different location it will save you having to rely on a external disk that can be lost.

Best is to avoid over collecting.Collecting reference eat alot of time it can be a trap sometime because on pinterest you jump from one board to an other use google first than pinterest if you can find anything on google.Google as also a some option you can use to get certain image with specific requirement it hard to explain shortly so i advice you check careful how to do search on google

Sure is good to make sure to have a back up in case of hardware failure it an investement well spent if you ask me.Would you rather spend time create a back folder(can take up to 3hour depending on size and computer) or find each and every single thing you lost(probably impossible and so huge of a task that you will cry in a corner (well for me if it would happen to me).

There is also the cloud but i prefer a hard disk it just feel more personal and less dangerous to lose a password or something.

Yeah, I can agree to that.
Thanks for replying!