Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: scrap's book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Some more anatomy studies on the arm and forearm — just getting my head around how the forearm rotates and the groups of muscles that extend/flex the fingers. Also some more work on 'Lifted' — had to use a bit of reference for the humerus arm bone but happy with how it's going so far, I'll probably do another pass on lines before painting. Then to change things up started a figure painting which I'll continue tomorrow along with 'Lifted'.

[Image: Dnwlsj7.jpg]
[Image: Tr24sAO.jpg]
[Image: 6GniJb6.jpg]
[Image: bD5nNwo.jpg]
[Image: WDUMDXk.png]
Did you do the first image the brush work is pretty impressive.A nice use of the background as an highlight a efficient way to work with only 2 brush.If not well my bad but keep going some nice study nothing less.
(08-02-2020, 11:57 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]Did you do the first image the brush work is pretty impressive.A nice use of the background as an highlight a efficient way to work with only 2 brush.If not well my bad but keep going some nice study nothing less.

Thanks dark yes I did — it was from a reference but just wanted to practice painting the arm instead of just linework, appreciate your kind words. Today I just spent painting this naked lady, pretty happy with how it's going although it takes quite a while, I'm using Kyle's brushes that Adobe supply these days and I really enjoy all of the different options that are available, the mixing brush is less controllable than the normal brush but I enjoy the accidents that happen, feels much more natural.

[Image: ZdA1Z7M.jpg]
arm studies look good

for the image of the bones being lifted, all the little tendrils and shapes appear very similar, this can be a way of creating dullness in an image, it's a very common thing to get into
it's one of those kind of filling space when you're unsure habits
and it applies to spacing as well try to cultivate an eye for pleasing composition of space balance and having some hierarchy of detail size
it will help your images have more warranting of a prolonged glance and some eye travel

if everything looks about the same size spacing and detail it can make your eyes go, well I've seen one area, its all similar so I'm done

just something to keep n mind, but a great way to apply your anatomy study while also producing something significant

--

the nude is looking very good, particularly in the body where there is a nice soft touch to some of the transitions.

another common thing i see in many peoples work is painting along the edge of individual shapes and creating this rimmed gradient kind of blend for all areas of the image. It can create that very 'digital painting' look
just did a subtle paint over to show some difference you can get with a bit of painting with the contour of the forms in mind
It may help describe forms even better, look a bit more natural and let you get some more interesting looking blends

anyway, hope that helps

[Image: de2kurp-121adb92-9f9c-4cf1-9d1f-93e493d4...7nFCUswI-g]
[Image: de2kurl-058a213c-25a6-4d96-bb21-a2bc00b4...zORKgVPRcA]
(08-04-2020, 05:23 AM)xelfereht Wrote: [ -> ]arm studies look good

for the image of the bones being lifted, all the little tendrils and shapes appear very similar, this can be a way of creating dullness in an image, it's a very common thing to get into
it's one of those kind of filling space when you're unsure habits
and it applies to spacing as well try to cultivate an eye for pleasing composition of space balance and having some hierarchy of detail size
it will help your images have more warranting of a prolonged glance and some eye travel

if everything looks about the same size spacing and detail it can make your eyes go, well I've seen one area, its all similar so I'm done

just something to keep n mind, but a great way to apply your anatomy study while also producing something significant

--

the nude is looking very good, particularly in the body where there is a nice soft touch to some of the transitions.

another common thing i see in many peoples work is painting along the edge of individual shapes and creating this rimmed gradient kind of blend for all areas of the image. It can create that very 'digital painting' look
just did a subtle paint over to show some difference you can get with a bit of painting with the contour of the forms in mind
It may help describe forms even better, look a bit more natural and let you get some more interesting looking blends

anyway, hope that helps

Hey Andrew, thanks for taking the time to feedback and do the paintover, I appreciate it. As for your first point now that you mention it I totally agree in regards to introducing hierarchy amongst the micro (not just the macro) — I will do a new pass on that image to resolve this, introducing more variation and more overlaps between these parts, will definitely create a more dynamic/interesting image.

As for the paintover I can definitely see how it helps, I tried in places to achieve that but can see how it can be taken to the next stage — I'll probably look at this tomorrow when I finish that study. Appreciate it once again, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3