Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: First Sketchbook!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone! (:

This is my first post and I really haven’t figured out how it all works on this website here sooo.. here are some ice sketches from yesterday and the day before.

I‘m currently studying ice as I‘d like to do an illustration with it soon!

Oh and maybe some information about me haha
I am a german Visual Game Art student named Mila and am currently on my way to becoming an environment concept artist and illustrator (:

So stay tuned, I hope to stay somewhat active here and I am really looking forward to your feedback!
Welcome to CD. Your ice studies look good.

Good luck with your career — keep posting here too — this is a good place to grow
(11-30-2022, 10:52 AM)Jephyr Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to CD.  Your ice studies look good.

Good luck with your career — keep posting here too — this is a good place to grow

Thank you so much!
Yes, I'll definitely not stop posting on here (:
Very cool, Game Art Student, that sounds so interesting.
I am looking forward to see what you will be posting!
(12-01-2022, 05:57 AM)lvlingArtist Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool, Game Art Student, that sounds so interesting.
I am looking forward to see what you will be posting!

Yes, it's very interesting and I've already learned a lot as a student from my lecturers (:
Thank you so much, that's too kind!
Yesterday I sketched 3 thumbnails for my new illustration.
I want to show a warrior on a big lynx finding a huge magical portal surrounded by ice crystals and icebergs. The main warrior faces his people who are accompanying him (the observer of this painting) and heroically points to the portal.
Together with my professor, I decided that I would continue to develop the third image because it looks the most epic from this perspective.
What do you guys think? (:
Today I already have tried 3 color variants for the third sketch. 
I like the version with the very light colors the most because it looks so angelic and reminds me of a sunny winter day. Also the colors support the idea that after a very long and difficult journey, the warriors have finally found their destination.

In the last picture you can also see how far I got with rendering the painting today.
I still having some trouble rendering icebergs, but I‘ll definitely keep practicing and rendering.

I would be very happy about feedback and your opinions (:
Somehow i prefer the first one of the 3 composition it had a more desolated and open feeling to it.But the character was to big i would say and i also like the ravine it added to the inhospital vibe .Now it look more like an abandon portal than a newly discovered one.It just depend where you want the mood to go.

But obviously this is already taking a different dirrection already...

For color choose i would probably go for number two.

The problem with getting feed back is you gotta account that feedback aren't instantious so if you got a professor you should probably be really consulting with them mostly i would suggest you use this sketchbook for your own personal project rather than what might be work where there already someone supervising the progress.

For the composition study i think you should do them even smaller that way you can think more and draw less it very much the essence of that stage of the process i would argue.
(12-02-2022, 07:26 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow i prefer the first one of the 3 composition it had a more desolated and open feeling to it.But the character was to big i would say and i also like the ravine it added to the inhospital vibe .Now it look more like an abandon portal than a newly discovered one.It just depend where you want the mood to go.

But obviously this is already taking a different dirrection already...

For color choose i would probably go for number two.

The problem with getting feed back is you gotta account that feedback aren't instantious so if you got a professor you should probably be really consulting with them mostly i would suggest you use this sketchbook for your own personal project rather than what might be work where there already someone                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                supervising the progress.

For the composition study i think you should do them even smaller that way you can think more and draw less it very much the essence of that stage of the process i would argue.

Hey! Thank you for your feedback! (:

I was also quite devided at the beginning as to which sketch I should continue to work on. In the end, the third sketch was more in line with what I had in mind. But I still want to hear other opinions, since it can only help me to grow. This allows me to know how other people perceive my illustrations and different compositions and allows me to understand other perspectives even more.

My lecturer even showed us this page in class and said it would be a good alternative to get more and also different feedback, but I understand your train of thought! (: 
I would still appreciate your feedback in the future.

Thanks for the tip about the composition studies! I really have to work on that haha.
This looks like it's going to be a really cool painting! I think the 3rd one is a pretty good choice, I kind of like the warm gold color of the 3rd thumbnail of the 3rd comp. I did some study of ice as well for a painting a while ago, and I kind of figured out some things about it. Wasn't that pleased with how it turned out, but it was good to try for sure.

But what is hard is that there can be so many different types of ice. Like an ice cube or clear looks completely different from an ice berg or something which is more opaque. And like glass it looks completely different depending on what it reflects around it, so it's really tricky to do like a generic 'ice texture'. Like you have the 3 studies you did above, which not to knock it, they look good. But they are all different versions of how ice could work? Might take some more study and reference to really nail down how you're going to do the iceberg/castle. Oftentimes if you can't make something happen yet, you just need more understanding of the material or subject first.

I haven't seen what you've done with the rendering since the last post, but I'd enjoy seeing an update!
(12-04-2022, 04:17 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]This looks like it's going to be a really cool painting! I think the 3rd one is a pretty good choice, I kind of like the warm gold color of the 3rd thumbnail of the 3rd comp.  I did some study of ice as well for a painting a while ago, and I kind of figured out some things about it. Wasn't that pleased with how it turned out, but it was good to try for sure.

But what is hard is that there can be so many different types of ice. Like an ice cube or clear looks completely different from an ice berg or something which is more opaque. And like glass it looks completely different depending on what it reflects around it, so it's really tricky to do like a generic 'ice texture'. Like you have the 3 studies you did above, which not to knock it, they look good. But they are all different versions of how ice could work? Might take some more study and reference to really nail down how you're going to do the iceberg/castle. Oftentimes if you can't make something happen yet, you just need more understanding of the material or subject first.

I haven't seen what you've done with the rendering since the last post, but I'd enjoy seeing an update!

Thank you so much! (:

Yes, I really like this color variant too!

You are so right, there are so many types of ice. I also looked at a lot of it and in between I was pretty lost because I didn't know how to go about it. But I think I will paint more opaque icebergs in the background and more transparent ice crystals around the portal (which I also have to make nicer). And if I don't get it right in the illustration, I'll definitely sit down and do a few more studies before I continue (:

Thanks again for the feedback! I'll try to post an update tomorrow or monday evening.