Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Alan's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lot of studies that i've made   Thumbs_up
This seem to be heading in a interesting direction.Looking foward to learn more about what you do.Welcome
Some props; Among us inspiration
Really cool studies! Lol at the among us props.

With the still life of stuff on the desk you really are getting good color relationships. There is definitely a sense of a coherent light source whose color is affecting the colors it's hitting, and it looks really good.

One small piece of criticism though, if you want a more convincing sense of reality, be more particular about the edges of things. The hard brush is fine, but nothing is going to be 100% hard and sharp all the way around, and short, hard brush strokes kind of feel like they sit on top of the surface of the painting, instead of being part of the space. this goes also for the geometric forms lighting study where you have the table top edge and cast shadows super sharp, though there's a bit of blur on some of them. Actually the way you painted the amongus tools feels a lot more natural, so maybe it's something you're already clued into. But just zoom into other paintings of stuff like this, and you might notice that what looks really sharp from a distance, is actually subtly softened at the edge, which makes forms look less flat, and makes things feel like part of the same image. Nice work, regardless though.
(12-10-2022, 12:01 PM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]Really cool studies! Lol at the among us props.

With the still life of stuff on the desk you really are getting good color relationships. There is definitely a sense of a coherent light source whose color is affecting the colors it's hitting, and it looks really good.

One small piece of criticism though, if you want a more convincing sense of reality, be more particular about the edges of things. The hard brush is fine, but nothing is going to be 100% hard and sharp all the way around, and short, hard brush strokes kind of feel like they sit on top of the surface of the painting, instead of being part of the space. this goes also for the geometric forms lighting study where you have the table top edge and cast shadows super sharp, though there's a bit of blur on some of them. Actually the way you painted the amongus tools feels a lot more natural, so maybe it's something you're already clued into. But just zoom into other paintings of stuff like this, and you might notice that what looks really sharp from a distance, is actually subtly softened at the edge, which makes forms look less flat, and makes things feel like part of the same image. Nice work, regardless though.

Thank you for the advice, Joseph!! I'll try to pay more attention to the edges
(12-10-2022, 12:12 AM)darktiste Wrote: [ -> ]This seem to be heading in a interesting direction.Looking foward to learn more about what you do.Welcome

Thank you, Darktiste!  Thumbs_up
Everyday trying to be better than yesterday
Detective...
Nice work here, I really like how you simplified your values in your earlier studies, should give you a better tackle on lighting. Speaking of lighting your latest has some very dynamic lighting going on, good stuff!
Man, the mouse driving a cyborg made of mouse-traps is a genius idea!
Just had to comment on it, very cool.
Hello guys! It's a long time since I posted here hehe

I did this ShenLong after I saw some Dave Raposa art, he inspired me with his animes stuff to explore more subjects and themes that like.

I would like some feedback if possible, on illumination and composition. I tried to bring some grandiosity for Shenlong, and looking now I could change the camera angle maybe.

Thank you guys! Wink
I feel the problem is you give no scale to your object by placing it alone... when you place two object you can start to establish scale.One other thing to amplify the scale of something is probably not giving it a above shoulder shot this generally make thing look smaller by giving the impression that the viewer is taller then the subject.Taking inspiration from the manga you should look at how he used every opportunity to establish scale and a sense of towering over the viewer so a shot that would be taken from the ground would definitevely push the grandiosity.
To add to what darktiste said, having a worm's-eye-view compounded by a wide-angle lens distortion and Dutch-tilt the angle will make the sense of scale even more dramatic and the action even more exciting. Don't just put a character on a blank background--create a scene with a narrative. Have it interact with the environment and other characters so there's cause and effect, action and reaction. Have stuff get destroyed in the scene by the creature, people screaming and fleeing, etc., will create a visual story that makes the image much richer.
Thank you so much for giving me some feedback, I appreciate it a lot. I'll consider it for sure in the next work and apply it.

I'll let you guys know!

Thank you so much!!
Wow I love how that looks! It seems you've made a lot of progress since i last commented here! Lunatique offers some good suggestions for making it seem more grandiose, but the simple background is nice. Sometimes simple is better. I think the shape of the dragon is more striking on a simple dark backdrop. The only thing I would change is maybe add a bit more transition to the core shadows, so it's a little more rounded and refined, and maybe make the snout tapered more because it feels very rectangular in like an inorganic way.
Loving the recent green dragon you posted, very well drawn and painted, but it's the lighting that makes it pop - very dynamic! Great job.