Hello Daggers!
Hey folks! :)

I'm David your fellow wannabe artist from Germany.
I'm 21 and I've  been trying to get better at art for quite a while now but always struggled with consistency.
This year I started studying Illustration which has been pretty good so far. Although I feel like I make the most progress when I study on my own but then I also tend to isolate myself. :/

Sooo anyway, I hope I can become a Dagger and develop into an amazing artist alongside all of ya!

Cheers!
Welcome to Crimson Daggers David :).

There's a lot to be said about studying on your own, at the end of the day each of us are responsible for our own destiny but there is also much to be said about sharing the journey with others on the same path.

You will pick up many great study techniques and resources on here as well as meet some great people travelling the same path.

I encourage you to start up a sketchbook thread and keep it updated. It's a great way to get some useful critiques and tips.

Good luck!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hey David,

This might sound crazy. I've talked to a lot of local, relatively established artists in my vicinity. That constant need to 'get better' will probably never go away. It's like a shared disease we all have as creatives that we can't just seem get rid of. I know it sucks, because, in a way, it validates our inadequacy.

This whole creative journey might be a "struggle". It might be "hard". But I really do hope that, despite those feelings, you'd also find a sense of comfort that it's okay to feel that way. That, in the end, drawing silly things is simply fun. A lot of people forget that.

And you're right. This art thing most of the time is a lonely and isolating procedure! You can always use the shoutbox to engage with fellow members. Or go to the CD Discord channel (https://discord.gg/azX8fwT) where some of the members usually hangout.

And, given you've succeeded entering your first post, you're already a dagger. Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Thanks for the welcome Artloader and John! :)

Quote:This might sound crazy. I've talked to a lot of local, relatively established artists in my vicinity. That constant need to 'get better' will probably never go away. It's like a shared disease we all have as creatives that we can't just seem get rid of. I know it sucks, because, in a way, it validates our inadequacy.
Yeah, that's very true we'll never reach perfection but we wont settle for anything less.
I don't mind that though, the 'struggle' becomes kind of enjoyable once you get out of that desperation phase, don't you think?
Yeah. Funny how you put the word struggle in between quotations. Struggle has that negative connotation of trying to fight to get loose from something. This art thing... some say it's like a straitjacket that'll only get tighter the more you fight it.

I don't really have a point to this reply do I! Maybe just be comfortable with your own straitjacket. The moment you realize that it is, there's probably no straitjacket to begin with.

Woot! More art!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead