Felix's road to freedom
I can't sleep thinking how I need to get better, so I made another portrait, This one is After Sargent as well.
Funny how I made his nose way bigger usually the way I draw my chars. (without intention to do so)

[Image: tumblr_oh8q8ykrr51ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

This one is a char I did without reference, trying to apply the stuff I've been learning this past weeks.

[Image: tumblr_oh9p1lySAJ1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Another Sargent Study.

[Image: tumblr_ohh0toIy3x1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Today I inked a drawing I did not so long ago. That I liked, I did it with out refs and in an angle that I don't practice much which I'm kinda proud of :D

[Image: tumblr_ohjp20AKyS1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Latest head study after Bouguereau, I had a very difficult time studying his values and strokes, I'm going to make more after him. :D

[Image: tumblr_ohmiykSb3v1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Today I got back at my portrait studies, Here's another one after Sargent:

[Image: tumblr_oiochyQxlh1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Another portrait studie after Sargent only 14 to go :D

[Image: tumblr_oirix7wc4g1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

If anyone is interest on the brushes that I use and how I used them here's a rundown:

I use the Dan LuVisi bruspack V2http://danluvisiart.deviantart.com/art/M...-370697141

[Image: tumblr_ois6abRsP71ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

The first one is called "chalk 2" this one I use the less, is a pretty texture heavy brush, I mainly use it for final details on portraits, I can see myself using it in other stuff like props or even landscapes, I think this one unifies everything with a pretty good texture.

The second one is called "Chalky square painting" this one I use the most because is has the less texture therefore its so light, I use for sketching and for blocking all the values and colors. This brush is my favorite and most used one.

The last one is called "Chalk Textured" this one has a pretty cool and heavy texture, I remember I used it on some metal once and I fell in love, I use it lots to unify the values and add and overall texture to the skin.

I also use the smudge tool with a brush called SCRATCHES_V that you can also find on this pack (set to 74% strength) However I think the most important and overlook detail that lots of people missed at the begging is to try to lay down the values to a level that it looks pretty much finished and then I go for the details, I think this is the best way to do it, there's no magic brush that will make all the decisions on values and color for you.

[Image: skin_demo_by_charlie_bowater-d63hnwn.jpg]

Here you can see an example from an artist I love (Charlie Bowater) on the left there's a blocking of color and value and on the left there's the final touches with textures brushes and some smudging, as you can see the hard part its already done. This not only yields a very good result but it also makes you faster.

Hope this helps.

Here's a recent commission I did:

[Image: tumblr_oitw060WAy1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Here's my 12/25 Portrait study, I tried to economize my brushstrokes but I failed, I gotta keep trying though! :D

[Image: tumblr_oix0g0TinX1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Today I drew Princess Leia :D

[Image: tumblr_oixabe8wK61ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Another one

[Image: tumblr_oixf2bkREj1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Great studies imPhelikz!

That Charlie Bowater workflow is very interesting aswell, I might give that a go, thanks for sharing :).

Keep up the hard work :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Love those portrait studies! Keep it up i wanna see more : D

Artloader: Thanks!. Yes I've been a fan of her for years now, she's actually one of the first artist that I discover on DA and make want to be pro.

If you give it a go, let me know what you think about this process. :D

NoodleInBox: Thanks!, You'll see more I have to do 25 and right now im only at 14 :D

14/25 this one was especially hard, frontal portraits are the worse for me, specially men, specially old men with facial hair and wrinkles :D

[Image: tumblr_oiz66izbaE1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Another before I go to sleep.

[Image: tumblr_oiznybIAA41ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

First study of the year!
16/25
Anthony van Dyck study

[Image: tumblr_oj57keJcb41ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Another Sargent study this one is 17/25

[Image: tumblr_oj8b87L3pi1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

Happy new year everyone!, I've been struggling to draw stuff I like lately even with my studies I guess It was all that food on the holidays who knows :D
Here's something I drew after failing miserably at drawing some full bodies.

[Image: tumblr_ojozcxLiRG1ssl9kko1_540.jpg]

I guess the only way to get out of this slump is to draw and draw and draw.