Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
ooo I like the alien jungle its looking pretty cool

Your charcoal studies are sick. I always struggled with charcoal. The last painting with warm and that cool plant is amazing. Would love to see more.
Keep it up
Loving the jungle you just posted, great composition and shape elements. The lighting is extremely well done as well, incredibly dynamic. Good luck with the contest!

Thanks guys! I am finishing up the alien landscape, will post the full version soon. I feel pretty decent about it but we'll see.

Workin' on the alien royalty challenge. I'm not sure if I'm calling it done yet, I kind of want to keep it a little bit loose. I want to make the specular highlights a little sharper for sure yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Alien is looking great. I'd vote to refine the skin a bit more and it'll kick ass!
(06-28-2021, 09:56 PM)Zizka Wrote: Alien is looking great. I'd vote to refine the skin a bit more and it'll kick ass!

Will do! thanks!

Pretty interesting development in the last few page i feel like your spreading your wing away from the more academic side of thing and venturing more toward imaginative work that atleast what it seem like for the moment.

You seem to partcipate in alot of online challenge are you trying to get some notority that way?Are you out to challenge yourself artistically?Just ask in term of why aren't we seeing more personal piece instead?Could it be a sign of losing direction perhaps like taking sidequest instead of focusing on creating an identity?Anyways there no set rule to develop an identity.It just interesting to get insight into other people brain sometime.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I've always done digital stuff. I just don't post everything I am working on for various reasons. I went on vacation, so I'm not producing anything at the academy right now. But academically I am working on constructing form. This does require imagination, which is why I have done less from observation lately. and I don't have any commissions or projects to work on right now, hence the community challenges. I think they are a fun way to participate in communities that I am part of.

I guess I don't think of creating an identity as the main quest. Skill is the main quest, and I have never stopped working on improving my skills.

Here is my finished alien landscape. I worked on shapes of foliage in various areas, the roots, and stuff in the background mostly.

Attached Files Image(s)

The alien landscape came out stunning, the lightning in particular is just ridiculously well done, very dynamic. It feels like an alien planet too due to your very strong color choices, so this is a very successful image in that regard. Keep it up!

The Blue plants are a really good eye-draw, and I like the amount of detail in the bloom making the eye linger.

I don't know the exact science off the top of my head but plants tend to be more green depending on how close/far they are from the sun/solar radiation. Plants on one planet may look uniformly green while others would be brown or even red. This might affect how I interpret things but the scene looks like the sulphuric-coral-type trees are an invasive alien species on an earth planet. I liek it

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(07-10-2021, 05:39 PM)RottenPocket Wrote: The Blue plants are a really good eye-draw, and I like the amount of detail in the bloom making the eye linger.

I don't know the exact science off the top of my head but plants tend to be more green depending on how close/far they are from the sun/solar radiation. Plants on one planet may look uniformly green while others would be brown or even red. This might affect how I interpret things but the scene looks like the sulphuric-coral-type trees are an invasive alien species on an earth planet. I liek it

Haha I like that interpretation, you're being generous! It's probably not that sensible from a scientific standpoint. I thought of the foliage needing to be a different color, especially because the sky is pink. So I do have some purplish plants in there. But in the end I guess I decided green just read better. I wonder which color would actually make the most sense. Probably brown.

The yellow trees don't have leaves, so I imagine they draw their nutrients from the soil or the water if this place floods. But I also like the idea of them being seeded there from a different planet or something.

_

CG: Thanks, man!

I do waffle on about a lot of sh*t but I hope sometimes at least I provide some nugget of wisdom. For plants I think it has something to do with ultraviolet solar radiation impairing plants ability to photosynthesise, and sometimes affects how much chloroflylthey produce and oxygen they create. So I guess maybe your world would be even greener if the sky is a soft pink.

If you want a good bit of inspo, there's a YouTube channel called Crime Pays but Botany doesn't. His voice is mega soothing when I paint but he's a fun channel to stumble across interesting plant life and give you the family names and environment backgrounds. Let him do the research for me I guess.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hey, impresive traditional work! I also really like the environment painting, the color scheme is great! Maybe I would play with composition a little bit, that yellow tree is what I would changed somehow.I guess it is the roots that really makes me feel weird when I look at it, like it's floating there.

Brief project I was working on, studying form. Proportions are probably a bit off, I guess I haven't done an academic drawing in quite a while.

Attached Files Image(s)

man those studies are really strong ! i better understand why you seems to convey form so easily on your paintings ! keep them up !

It's been a hot second since I posted anything in here! I recently took a workshop though and wanted to post the results. 
It was a workshop on painting the figure in grisaille, with focus on modeling form only, whereas I would normally paint the big impression of something. So I think it's a really good change of pace. It's the kind of technique they do at Grand Central Atelier, and something you also often see in 19th century academic pieces, where the form of the figure literally just cuts off because the artist has rendered it head to foot as they went along.

I still have a lot of practice to do with it, even with the poor photo there's some parts where the form is kind of eh. The other wierd thing is because I painted grey on a warm background, the figure looks very blue and out of context. So i reduced the saturation a bit so it looks a little more normal. It just feels weird to paint something where you know it's wrong, or the context at least is wrong. I would be more inclined to use this kind of painting on top of something where the big impression of color and light is established already. But that said I think I learned a lot from it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Now that some nice form i really like the unfinish quality of it i think it help the form read even more somehow.No need to over work it i would say.Where i feel thing read a bit less is the behind the back arm and the face somehow but that might just be cause we aren't experiencing much of a foreshortning in those specific element or overlapping.The almost profile nature also flatten the face spacially speaking.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Nice progress on the latest oil study, forms read well and the drawing's good. The photo quality is bad though, would be nice to see a sharper, less blury photo.

Excellent work on the latest study, values and form seem to be on point. I agree that the photo itself could be better, but the artwork itself is very solid. Keep it going!