Darktiste Sketchbook
I am playing with a new concept and doing a draconic ink pen.But i am not sure if the dragon aspect is strong enough or how i could improve or try a new direction.Take in mind that this is more about shape language which mean i have to make sure the pen and the draconic aspect aren't overpowering the fact we want to make sure it read as a ink pen also.I feel like if i change anything to the nibs part we will lose this reading as pen.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
I think it's a great concept and the dragon theme definitely shows through, as it ready easily and clearly that it's a dragon arm + wing, so it's a very strong design IMO. Hope you proceed with it!

Helloooo, it is me- the one you replied to recently. Decided to throw an eye here and see what's all this noise happenin around your place~

To keep it short- great progress so far. I don't know if your process depends on lineart but I would recommend investing a bit of time just to get a hang on basic lineweight principles. (Just by going with the dragon wing up there) And it doesn't need to be exactly on top, just enough for your piece to get completed easier.

Overall, keep posting ! 8+ years is in this place and we wanna see more :))

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
(11-19-2021, 01:28 PM)darktiste Wrote: Been lost in the limbo for a while and came back with a magic cauldron.

The idea was a magic cauldron from an ancient egyptian tomb. The background is inspired by magical lamp. This magic cauldron is use to boil a magic essense that attract fortune spirit. This essense is then pour into a lamp and the spirit get irresistible suck into the lamp that is than magically seal and enchanted to release it spirit when rub 3 time .Great fortune is said to be given to whoever rub the lamp but be careful because after 3 wish the spirit is no longer magically seal and isn't any longer magically obligated to bestow good fortune onto the user and misfortune await those who the spirit believe as trap it inside.

You've got a lot of feedback on this already. But coming from a traditional oil painting background, it brought up the concept of edge control. The edges of the cauldron are uniform. This link should explain it more in depth: https://www.outdoorpainter.com/edge-cont...-approach/

I like the texture you have in the center of the cauldron.

Value study+ Progression process.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Nice! Those value studies look on point, very well done!

Been dabbling into some more 3d modelling.This time trying out sketchup and doing my best to come close to replicating the master sword just to have an excuse to modelize witout having to come up with a design right away.Sketchup even if it feel pretty easy to use had some missing feature and for this reason i am going to switch to blender for future modelling even if blender seem more complicate i think it more promising in the long run.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
That looks great, I instantly recognized it as the Master Sword from the Zelda series so you did a fantastic job replicating it's shape and general design. Glad to see you toying around with 3D as well! SketchUp and Blender I heard are fantastic, hopefully I can experiment with them myself and this image is definitely inspiring in that regard. Keep it up!

(04-10-2022, 05:39 PM)cgmythology Wrote: That looks great, I instantly recognized it as the Master Sword from the Zelda series so you did a fantastic job replicating it's shape and general design.  Glad to see you toying around with 3D as well! SketchUp and Blender I heard are fantastic, hopefully I can experiment with them myself and this image is definitely inspiring in that regard.  Keep it up!

Thank you and glad to hear that i did it justice.If you need any tips in blender or sketchup hit me up.I can point you to a few good video or channel that teach for free.I am fairly new but i always think that people work so differently that you never know what you will learn might be a tool you never use or an other perspective into someone else workflow that my help speed up the workflow.

My Sketchbook
I'd definitely appreciate some tips with sketchup, I literally only used it for a few minutes. Hopefully it doesn't have a steep learning curve! Any tips or tutorials would be appreciated, please feel free to DM me any helpful material and thanks again for all your help!

Working on an axe and sharpening my 3d skill i can't say that i am at a stage where working in 3d seem intuitive i am still learning to navigate and understand certain principle and find way to limit the error along the way.I hope to finish this project by the end of next week if not the mid week.The goal is still to be able to see how time saving incorporating some 3d can be in the long term.But i also certainly need to keep challenging myself with new interesting project even if it a bit remove from concept art right now i think it gonna loop beautifully once i get the hang of it.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I think the 3D model is really looking good so far! Is that Blender by any chance?

Also, I highly recomend starting to use 3D in as much of your 2D work as possible. It just saves so much time in the long run, and it helps your workflow a lot! Im speaking from experience!

(04-23-2022, 02:41 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: I think the 3D model is really looking good so far! Is that Blender by any chance?

Also, I highly recomend starting to use 3D in as much of your 2D work as possible. It just saves so much time in the long run, and it helps your workflow a lot! Im speaking from experience!

Yes that blender my first blender model.I am also pretty convince because of how shortcut heavy blender is that why it might become a + once you get them memorize. Thing like mirroring,no perspective plotting and light box are just game changer also.Without talking about the flexibility using different program can offer in term of control.

My Sketchbook
A few extra object to get mileage to feel more fluid will using the software.Trying to get use to the camera aswell as using the rendering window and playing with a light source. Here how it look knowing just the bare minimum.A small low poly container in front a bottle in the midground and a pillar in the background.

The axe is a w.i.p i didn't manage to reach my goal as i didn't manage to limit the amount of error along the journey and end up learning to fix a few moddeling issue and i also end up doing this 3 item ''composition'' let say is to test more freely in a none destructive way.So that i can make error so that i better understand how this behave and this way i can keep the axe as the real test.

It always good to allow yourself to fail when learning a new tool.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Your test render is coming along well! Next step would probably be to become familiar with the material editor and try out some colored objects.

Getting my head unwrap as i learn unwrapping.Certainly not my favorite part of the whole process.For those who don't know unwrapping is the part where we assign a face a '' let call it a layers'' from which you can put the texture on. Pretty essential step let face it... every single plane or layers if you prefer as a scale which can determine the scale of a texture you might import on any given plane or layers.

Now i just gotta do the same for the rest of the object and work my way toward creating a few different texture.Progress weren't so great this week in appearance but i suspect that i still have to perhaps be more patient than i previously anticipated .It not because it computer generated that learning to navigate is a walk in the park you gotta build some key memory and achieve a pipeline you can work into a final model.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Still trying to figure out why the front object isn't behaving like the 3 object on it right in my render version. My first texture was aim to be clay.

When i look at my 3d viewport the texture appear to be rendering normally... a the joy of 3d when you think everything is going like it should just to be surpris how wrong you actually did it.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Are you sure you have assigned the right material to your front object? What does your material settings look like in the Shading section? You may have more then one material assigned to your cubes (Blender allows for one object to have multiple materials).

(05-12-2022, 04:59 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: Are you sure you have assigned the right material to your front object? What does your material settings look like in the Shading section? You may have more then one material assigned to your cubes (Blender allows for one object to have multiple materials).

Ok thank you i will investigate and perhaps post the menu.

My Sketchbook
I'm loving the 3D work. I need to pull my head out of my butt and start improving my 3D skills too.