Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Will Warburton's sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Will Warburton's sketchbook (/thread-113.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Warburton - 07-22-2014

Been a slow week, just doodles mainly...

Gonna learn to paint environments properly soon..

Tried some quick dirty photobashing

and been tryin out dave's techniques from his latest tutorial. Only up to the lines yet though but its something I defiantly need to work on.

aaaand the latest illustration piece which I feel completely burnt out with and feels completely fucked. Not sure if i'll continue with it. The values and colours have broken me.

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Heliux - 07-24-2014

ugh. these updates are fucking sick man! your progress never ceases to amaze me! Can't wait to see more! XD

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Warburton - 07-25-2014

Heliux - Thanks man, it doesn't feel like im progressing all that much most of the time :p Im glad you like my updates though ;p Hopefully many more of them to come.

Just a creature which I did from a c.o.w topic over a ca.org. Trying other stuff and using lines and shit. Thanks to Dave for the tutorial, its fuckin awesome and I highly recommend it. https://gumroad.com/daverapoza

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Jaik - 07-27-2014

Haha, I know them feels man. When you have a piece that everyone is like 'just put some more work into, fix this and that and it will be a great piece.' and everytime you open it in photoshop you just want to vomit -____-

Nice job with the CoW piece though and applying daves tutorial. Good stuff :)

The image at the top of this page though, of the guy wiht the scars and the bulbous nose is definitely my favorite. The forms are soo good and juicy! MORE LIKE THAT. DO THAT.

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Warburton - 08-06-2014

Jaik - Hey dude, Thanks a lot as always ;) Yeah im really confused at the mo about my identity as an artist and what it is I actually want to do. So im just trying all kinds of crap or now lol. Glad you like the dude at the top too :p I'll try to do more stuff like that in the future. Cheers again for dropping by mate.

studies

Dropped some values and colours into this. Its fun

doodles and stuff

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - smrr - 08-06-2014

Hey Will, great updates as always :D wondering - when you do a study, do you stop when you feel you've learned enough from it/got enough information from it to move on or do you just get tired of it and move on to something else?

Also, haha man I know that feel about finding yourself as an artist. There's just so many things in this world that inspires us... and we don't want to just be some generic fantasy/sci-fi John Smith :P

Anyways, it's okay to read some books, watch some movies, go for walks and find yourself bit by bit

Or I might just be blabbing on. D:

Keep up the hard work, Will!! o/

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Jaik - 08-17-2014

Thought that panda was holding a head of a decapitated panda when I first laid eyes on it. Super creepy..

So many different styles. This is awesome. But yeah, I agree with smrr too. I don't know whether you will find yourself by doing more art (dont stop doing art though, keep drawing NO BREAK FOR YOU) but spend some time doing other things to work out how everything will fit together. I think that there is also the added difficulty is that sometimes you DO want to be that generic artist. Or at least I do. I just want to be good and someone to go, sure I've seen it a hundred times before but that dragon IS AWESOME. Theres a certain safety of just wanting to be one with the crowd that takes away a lot of that stress that rears its head when you start thinking things like 'If I ever want to be known, I have to be different' 'No one will pay me to be the same as everyone else, I must be unique or I will perish' and it just plays in your head over and over until you bleed a little out of your ears and rectum. But I guess knowing that everyone goes through it might help.. Or it might not...

Or I might just be blabbing on..

Keep fighting the good fight man!

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Warburton - 08-20-2014

smrrfette - Hey man, na you weren't babbling, you make goods point and I agree with what you say. Cant remember where I read it but I heard someone recently say that the way to measure your own progress is by comparing yourself to the ones which inspire you the most. So I guess I way to find the kind of artist you want to be is to look at the ones which inspire you the most and ask yourself why. Now i might be babbling lol.
As far as studies go, it varies really depending on the subject and situation. When im doin an illustration and I find I cant paint something like a clump of rocks or clouds. Ill do some studies which I don't even save. Ill do them as quick as I possibility can. Other times ill take a study to complete finish to test my own abilities and see how close I can get to photo real or something. Plus a lot of the time I think you learn subconsciously so its tough to say. An example though Is the priest due above. I wanted the render cloths so I didn't even bother with stuff like the face and hands. But yeah, it varies a lot. Sorry I cant give you a clearer answer lol ;)

jaik - Haha, decapitated baby panda might not have read so well lol :p And theres no babbling here dude, just insightful and honest feedback and advice. I appreciate the shit out of all of it. Like I said with smrrfette, ive just been looking at my most inspirational artists and using them as examples of the direction I want to move I think. If they managed it then so can I. And yeah, its easy to slip into that category of becoming a 'paint by numbers' genetic artist because that's ultimately what brings in the work, especially when starting off. My recent portfolio stuff was all stuff 'I' wanted to paint and it didn't bring me any work at all lol, where as the generic shit previously brought in some at least. Kinda frustrating but I guess its all about balance. I was dicing with the idea of heading down a concept artist route in desperation so that I could be more employable and get a studio job even though it doesn't really float my boat anywhere near as much as doing illustrations do. Im still not completely decided, but I figure some change in my style and approach to stuff cant hurt right? ANyways, im babbling now lol, thanks again for the insight and support man. And watch out for that bleeding rectum man, that shit doesn't sound healthy :p

a quickie
studies

more gestures

practice

sketches

still cant draw faces lol...

world creator 30 mins

creature design thing for c.o.w over at ca.org

gonna show the other polished one soon. For now heres the sketch one

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Adrian - 08-20-2014

Interesting creature designs. B and D are my faves. :)

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - LaleAnn - 08-20-2014

Wow maan! Love your stuff! You have really great volumes and a beautiful sense of anatomy.. Getting better and better! :D Some wicked compositions as well 0.0

Adrian - We have the same tastes man, I thought the same. Hope you like the rendered version :)

LaleAnn - Thanks Ann, I appreciate it :) Still needs lots of practice on my comps and designs so hopefully more of that stuff to come soon. Thanks again!

Rendered one of the thumbnails out. Land shark cow thing. Portfolio worthy? Probably not. Was a lot of fun doing this all the same <3

Sorry for the spam, ive been asked by a couple of folks for some wippies on the shark thing. Not the most informative progress shots but the process was pretty straight forward.

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - rafa zanchetin - 08-20-2014

Man, I'm in love with these animal designs, more please. <3

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Adrian - 08-20-2014

Awesome , love it rendered even more. I must admit I didn't expect him to come out that color :U

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - iCi - 08-21-2014

Powershark, holy cow!

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - JonHop - 08-21-2014

Dude awesome work! Loving the life in your sketches, I really like creature D design a lot more compared to the others though. Cool panda design also, your lines are looking great also ( i agree with you about Daves tut also, one of the best as he doesnt just speak about the technique but loads of other great info to) keep em coming!

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Mr. Toodles - 08-21-2014

dudeeeeee so good

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - pnate - 08-21-2014

Woo awesome land shark! Reminds me of Maxim Verehin's stuff :)

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Lyraina - 08-22-2014

Woah that land-shark is cool! Thank you for sharing the progress, always love seeing how other people work :) The initial sketches are really nice, tool
One small thing: When I first looked at it, I found the tail somewhat irritating, because at the first read it looked like it comes from his back... until I realized it's the tail. Pushing that back a bit (value wise) might get a clearer read.
Keep it up :)

RE: Will Warburton's sketchbook - Warburton - 09-03-2014

zanchetin - glad you like them dude, more will be on there way soon ;)

Adrian - Thanks man, yeah I did the environment first this time which meant he had to match to those colours. I played around with them for a while but those colours seemed to fit best I think.

ici - I see what you did there lol :p Powershark vs holy cow might make for an interesting illustration though. Thanks for dropping by again mate

jonhop - Thanks man, its cool to hear people liking different design ideas, ill have to do more and see what sticks in the future. Took me about 3 years to start getting comfortable with line drawing on a tablet but I think its finally starting to work kind of. Cheers for the kind words man.

mr toodles - Thaaaaanks man :D

pnate - That dudes a complete beast! If I get half as good as that dude I'd be pretty happy. His concepts are really sweet too. Thanks for stopping by again mate.

Lyraina - Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I see what you mean about the tail too, when I end up adding it to my portfolio i'll make that adjustment as you recommended. Thanks a lot for the crit, always love getting helpful feedback, especially from yourself where I know its gonna be good advice. Thanks again!

Just a bunch of crap this time, life's been holding me back a bit from painting as much as would have liked, plus taking the leap into freelance didn't work out this time :s so ive had to swallow my pride and do more work in ma shit job. I failed this time and almost staved lol but i'll bounce back, plus it gives me a chance to re-establish my portfolio and improve some more so its all good I guess.

ALso I have no idea what to do for my next piece. Im thinking an illustration but I kinda think I might need some concept art in my portfolio, or maybe I need more variety and should learn to do some environments or machines. But then if I did do another illustration and don't know what I should base it on. What it should have in it which my portfolio lacks etc etc. Ill have I think about it lol.
studies

need to do more dragons. there super fun

mind

Applying a film cap study, trying to be fast too. Twas good learning, I need to do more of these.