Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! (/thread-1551.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Rosolino - 03-18-2015

wow, I'm just loving your progress on portraits!
I have nothing to critic, but something that helped me alot was after many portraits from photos I decided to try a self portrait in front a mirror and it was a huge challenge and great experience, i learned a lot!!
For sure you will too!!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - naive.super - 03-18-2015

Yeah! Awesome gesture :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 03-18-2015

Hey thanks guys! :)

Rosolino! That's a great idea, I should do some self portraits for sure! Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words. :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - meat - 03-19-2015

OOh, nice animal studies... have you tried doing them in the boxes and planes style you studied your human figures?

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 03-20-2015

Thanks mate! No, not yet! But I surely will once I dive a bit deeper into animal studies.

This week I've been working on perspective (Robertson etc) and will spend the next week on it as well. I'm doing it mostly traditionally so not much to share until then. :P

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 03-26-2015

Back from Berlin! Got to meet many amazing people and artists there at the THU meetup! If you can attend it, you should definitely go to the next one in London! ^^

Anyway, been sketching everyday in Germany, but today was all about getting the administrative stuff done.. So very little to show from today and a few sketches I did while in Berlin.

Thanks for stopping by :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-02-2015

Hey guys! So I've been working on perspective for two weeks now, jumping between Israel Carrion's mentorship on the forum and Robertson's book...

Only thing I can say: I still hate drawing buildings/houses. I suck so bad and I try to enjoy it but I barely do!

I have only this one to show digitally, but I've filled pages with perspective exercises and I'm running out of print paper! xD I thin I understand perspective way better.. But I'll never be the kind of person who wants to draw a cathedral. :( If any of you had the same feeling and got over it, I'd love to hear about it! It's really hard to stay motivated when it's the topic you dislike the most.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Grotessive - 04-02-2015

wow your stuff looks awesome ! I'd love to see more of your progress! Keep it up

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - JyonnyNovice - 04-03-2015

Hey Lale, is it the mechanics of it that wears you down?

I used to feel worn down by that stuff... I mean like, I draw out a house, spinning the page, drawing a line, spinning the page, drawing etc etc, then it's like... I want to put a window there... I need to spin / draw like 20 times to add all the frame and protruding bits etc etc... it feels so long and tiring. Then I want to add a door... same process over and over. I don't feel like that anymore, I wouldn't say I'm too much quicker at it now, since if I go too fast I end up drawing inaccurate lines, but I guess that whole mechanical process of spinning and drawing has become more automated, so I don't really notice it so much, and can think more about the fun stuff. If that's the same for you, it should pass and get more fun - it shouldn't take so long either, only a few of those long careful building constructions and it should feel less of a burden (although doing really complex repeated details on a cathedral or something... that's a whole other level of monotony, I don't really know if that stuff can ever be as fun as more free, organic drawing - I guess doing it well and getting a really nice result is the payoff for going through something like that and should make the next time feel less of a struggle, since you can be confident the result will look nice). Hope that helps ^^

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-03-2015

@Grotessive: Thank you! ^^
@ Jyonny: HEy buddy, thanks a lot! Yeah it helps indeed! I guess you're right.. It's all about pushing that "butt moment" in the beginnings of learning a new process... It's very tiring but I have to suck it up and hopefully I'll end up having a bit o fun in these! As Riley suggested, maybe I should try to some sort of "House of my Dreams" or simply do a scene and put a building of that kind in it.. the final goal is that I can finally use perspective in my drawings more and have more complex backgrounds and not be as scared to draw buildings when I need to! :)

Thanks for the support! Means a lot!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - meat - 04-04-2015

Oh... I hate buildings and machines, and all that 'cos perspective on them is hard... but it's good to challenge yourself and expand your skill set. So don't give up! Also nice sketchbooks!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-07-2015

Thanks meat! I'm glad I'm not the only one hating that xD

So I did an extra push today, did a few exercises (that I won't show because they're plain boring and ugly) and at the end decided to give a go to something more pushed... Took me 2hours xD But I did it! and I almost enjoyed it ^^

I'm aware the picture is in 3point perspective, But I went ahead and made it 2pp.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Nimao - 04-07-2015

perspective can be very boooring........ very

very boring..

just keep pushing till it makes fun our you just don't feel anything anymore!!1111 8[D

or something like that

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-07-2015

Hahahaa thanks Niko! "until you don't feel anything anymore" xD Exactly. The pain! :D

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-08-2015

Aaand more perspective bawls this afternoon after spending the morning with client work..

Also tried to go into thumbnails.. I usually am OK when it comes to thumbnails.. But Gosh! Trying to put buildings in that and keep some perspective grid going on.. That doesn't come as naturally to me at all :/

Any tips would be welcome guy! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - StardustLarva - 04-08-2015

Heya there, Lale! I'd say you're doing a good job on the perspective studies (well, you seem to be ahead of me at least). Just a question-what resources are you using to study perspective? I mentioned it before on Skype, but another resource I can recommend if you've not tried it yet is Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling. It's very straight to the point and gives some exercises that can actually be quite fun (at least in my view) when you get into them.

Anyway, keep up those good studies!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-08-2015

Hey Dec! Thanks a lot! Hmm yeah you're right, I should check him out! :) I use Scott Robertson and Israel Carrion's exercises as my study bases. Although i'm still not feelign brave enough to read ALL Robertson's book (or understand it at least xD)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-10-2015

Alright! I'm gonna move on for a while away from perspective! I had my fill for now, learned a bunch of things that I need to actually apply now and hopefully get more interesting paintings...

After some more crappy thumbnaisl this morning, decided to go ahead and do this for fun (after listening non-stop to the latest St Jude by the lovely Florence + the Machine).. :)

Had fun! hanks for stoping by!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-21-2015

Long time no see! Had lots of work but I'm still alive and arting! :) Here's today's morning portrait/skin study. About 2hours. I think I'm starting to grasp a fe things better..

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - KurtJeremy - 04-22-2015

wow the portrait made my jaw drop.
what is your process in this?
do you start a line sketch? how do you go about color?
how many brushes you use?

sorry if i asked too much. cant really crit anything , cos they already look all well done!