Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! (/thread-1551.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-22-2015

Aww thank you foxfire! ^^ No problem, I'd love to answer :)

So I start with a rough sketch. I lower the opacity, make a new layer where I clean up the line (I'm pretty bad painting without some linework/"guidelines" to follow).
Then, underneath the linework I block in my base colors (dark brown for the hair and pretty dark, saturated "orangey" skin color for the rest). Last, on a layer on top of all the others, I start building the light in.

When it comes to colors, as I said, I like starting with a plain darker color and build upon it with light (many people do the opposite though).
Keeping in mind the parts of the face that have more blood (ears, cheeks, nose etc..) to add a slight hint or red and a slight greyish or blueish light (sky) that often hits the side away from the main light source (often the sun). I didn't make it very obvious there (maybe I should've), but you can slightly see that on her further cheek (here it naturally helps defining the far cheek).

Sorry if I've been too long, hope it helps! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Adam Lina - 04-22-2015

You nailed the likeness on that portrait. Great work! Thanks for the comment too. Im glad you can see some improvement in my scribblings.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 04-30-2015

I recently figured that I hadn't improved in one of my favorite drawing topic in years... Due to the lack of "conscious" studies and deep structure studies, back and forths btw work from imagination and reference.

So I started this between commissions and I'm dedicated to getting actually better with faces now. Already picked up new things since yesterday evening..

Thanks for stopping by! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-01-2015

..aaand more faces from today! SO much harder than it seems.... Still had fun and learning e.e
And YES 3/4 poses only, as that's my worst enemy when it comes to faces. e.e

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-02-2015

aand a 2 hour portrait painting from memory :)

Still loads to fix and get better at proportion and realism-wise but I feel like I'm getting better with skin tones and rendering.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - marjoriedavis - 05-04-2015

Oh, man! your portraits are looking awesome! keep it up! :)
quick note: if you want- you could go a bit darker on the eyes to pop them more. You don't have to though if you wanna keep the contrast soft.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - Kimonas - 05-04-2015

Good skills on that memory portrait! A lot of people say use reference blah blah blah blah, but i believe doing stuff from memory makes you stronger when you do use reference Well done dude!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-06-2015

Thank you guys! ^^

@Kimonas: Well I've found the most efficient way of studying and learning, for most people, is by switching from referenced studies and then doing it by memory and so on. You brain can't learn very well if you always rely completely on reference, but it will also not evolve very well or do anything "right" if you never use reference and only work from imagination. It's a question of balance and I still have SO MUCH to figure out! xD

Soo I just finished some client work and I wanted to go back to portraits again, so here's this afternoon portrait study from the lovely Emily Deschanel I found her face very tricky though, still did my best and had fun! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - JyonnyNovice - 05-06-2015

Great painting and awesome oil painting look! Did you see this guys tutorial before? https://gumroad.com/demonui it's some tips and photoshop effects / techniques to get a shiny oil painting look in digital.

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-06-2015

Thanks Jon! Nope i haven't yet, might check it out. Thanks! ^^

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - StardustLarva - 05-07-2015

As Jon said, those digital pieces imitating oil paintings look great, quite convincing, I will say. Keep it coming Lale!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-07-2015

Thanks Stardust! ^^I've never painted with oils and I had no actual intetion of making it look like it, I was just aiming for "painterly" xD

Yesterday I got back to 30min speedpaintings on conceptartsessions and had some fun :)

"Longsword" and "Space"

"Electric" and "Fighter"

For the last one, I just couldn't figure out how to paint the skin in that lighting set up (night/blue background with the yellow/white balls) so i made him golden hahaha.. and 30min is very short xD

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-08-2015

aaand some more crappy quickies from today. I really didn't manage to get anythign good but whatever.. i'm just teasing my brain to get some fresh ideas for a new painting e.e

"Wasteland Survivor"

"Warning" and "Trapped"

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-14-2015

This afternooon's stuff.. :)
Hadn't tried color studies/thumbnails in such a long time aaarrgghh!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - lungcell - 05-18-2015

Really love those portrait studies Lale! Oh man, getting all pumped to some now too :D

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-20-2015

@lungcell: Thanks! ^^Glad you're pumped to do a few yourself hehe

Here's today's stuff.. Got carried away again and didn't do as much as I wanted to.. Taking a break now. :)

Morning gestures

Some quick hands studies (I don't remember the last time I ever did hand studies.. e.e)

Some enviro color studies (20min each)

and a pretty quick, loose portrait study to end the early evening! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - RenatoCaria - 05-21-2015

Oh buddy, those faces are so juicy! *_* a little bit of marmelade and they'll be on point! Ahah xD

Now, seriously, you are getting some pretty damn solid results on those faces! Dont stop practising! Dont stop believing! *_* (yeah, you know you read that singing 8D)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-21-2015

I DID indeed nato! xD Haha thanks a lot!
Dooon't stAhp believiiinng and "Let it pee"!

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - LaleAnn - 05-22-2015

Ok not much of an update here but.. Some 10min poses from reference and then 10min doing the same pose from memory, trying to work that muscle! :P Actually barely ever did that exercise before.. I'm gonna get more consistent at it for sure as it's seems pretty damn useful! :)

Also, a little sneak peek at a current personal project I'm slowly working on with a few quick character designish/sketches.. Having fun and trying a new style ^^

Thanks for stopping by! :)

RE: Lale's Traditional and Digital sketches! - rainbowsorknives - 05-22-2015

awesome portraits very jealous! really nice value work with those photo studies of the country side buildings. KEEP GOING! :)