Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff (/thread-1881.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-07-2016

Thanks! It might come across as justifying (reading it now, yes it does :)  ), but as no one can mindread, I was just trying to explain my intentions and motives behind it (bad habit of mine, I know)
You´re right that sketching a certain way leads to bad habits and that I should include more drawn out stuff observing all fundamentals to not create one, thanks for pointing that out, you can easily loose track there!

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - John - 06-07-2016

Haha! Seeing you guys going back and forth is entertaining! It's like Muzzy caught you double dribbling while you're practicing your shot!

Muzz:"You're dribbling the wrong way."
Elder:"Yeah.. but I'm really just practicing my free throws right now."
Muzz:"AHA! You've just admitted you're doing something the wrong way!"

Hilarious! Oh Elderscroller.. you're a saint..

Now to the main reason why I'm here: Hey Elderscroller, you're one of the guys here whom I follow their sketchbook religiously. Can't help but wonder how you pull off looking so clean with your sketches? There aren't any construction line or guide line residue to be seen. If I may be so bold, it looks like you went straight to rendering. How do you go about your process in your Moleskin sketches? Follow up question would be, how do you know which direction your strokes should to go when you're shading your shadows?

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-07-2016

(06-07-2016, 09:27 PM)John Wrote: Haha! Seeing you guys going back and forth is entertaining! It's like Muzzy caught you double dribbling while you're practicing your shot!

Muzz:"You're dribbling the wrong way."
Elder:"Yeah.. but I'm really just practicing my free throws right now."
Muzz:"AHA! You've just admitted you're doing something the wrong way!"

Hilarious! Oh Elderscroller.. you're a saint..

Now to the main reason why I'm here: Hey Elderscroller, you're one of the guys here whom I follow their sketchbook religiously. Can't help but wonder how you pull off looking so clean with your sketches? There aren't any construction line or guide line residue to be seen. If I may be so bold, it looks like you went straight to rendering. How do you go about your process in your Moleskin sketches? Follow up question would be, how do you know which direction your strokes should to go when you're shading your shadows?
Guess it must be quite entertaining for you guys, nice basketball metaphor by the way :D But Muzz does have a point, got to admit that

As for your question, the short answer: Construction lines are there, you just can´t see them :)
The long answer: There are some guys who can pull off going straight to rendering, I´m not one of them. I mostly start with a very light construction line, just to place everything until it look right to me, going from general shapes to finer ones. Then I slightly erase everything until it´s barely visible and I mind my linework a bit more (doing cleanups). Once I´m finished there, the rendering starts by defining light sources and their directions leading to separating lights from shadows (basically having 2 values) and from there it´s refining. When I´m doing a quick sketch where I don´t really want to render it out, I don´t construct like that, I just imagine a light source and indicate it by adding really light values (I´m a bit sloppy there...)
I did a quick step by step in my sketchbook some time ago, it´s older and not very well done but sort of still valid (it´s somewhere on this page):
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1881-page-28.html

Regarding direction of strokes: Most times I don´t conciously choose the direction. Sometimes I use the direction that sort of feels right, can´t explain that better :) Most of the time I go with the direction that is natural to me. Everyone has a direction (angle) where he/she is most comfortable with when doing a stroke/line. So when just darkening the background, I use that there, for example. When shading over form, I try to follow the form with my hatching, which is important when it comes to thing like hair. Follow the flow and it looks a bit more believable. Also e.g. when shading cheeks or other rounded forms, imagine how it should look in 3D and follow the form with your pencil. To quote Glenn Vilppu: Feel the form wrapping around.
Hope that helps. Feel free to ask, if you want to know more.

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - OtherMuzz - 06-08-2016

Haha hope i wasn't too much of an ass in the process of communicating. I just prefer to keep it short and to the point so that misunderstanding is harder.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)!

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-08-2016

@OtherMuzz: No, not at all! Communicating via text is sometimes hard, lots of room for misunderstandings. That´s why I sometimes try lots of explaining what my thoughts were behind postings. Sometimes maybe too much :D

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Piotr Jasielski - 06-08-2016

I'd agree with Muzz on the 2 value read. I believe it would help you a ton if you did some 2 value exercises. It really helps to understand the form better.

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-12-2016

@OtherMuzz & Piotr: I also thinks notan studies would be a great additional practice, thanks for that suggestion!

To my surprise, I made it to the second phase of the ILM challenge, so sketches are gonna be a bit sparse for the next 2 weeks. Still not allowed to show anything :(

Some renaissance sketching with simple shading:

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-24-2016

So, work for the contest is almost finished, so while taking a break today from painting I had some coffee and I.....drew :)

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 06-30-2016

ILM contest second round is finished, so now the wait for judgement starts... Learnt a lot this time, so for me, I already won :) It was totally out of my comfort zone: designing vehicles...but it actually went well. Still not allowed to show though, that will be finally possible in august. Back to sketching ...

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-06-2016

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-08-2016

Wanted to draw some old dude, somehow turned to Odin in mortal disguise

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-14-2016

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Artloader - 07-15-2016

Great pencil work Elderscroller!

Keep going mate!

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-19-2016

@Artloader: Thanks a lot!

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-22-2016

Some portrait and some quick and crappy watercolour landscapes

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 07-26-2016

Some rather failed watercolour quick image and more pencils (also too quick I´m afraid)

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 08-15-2016

I´ve been away for a couple of weeks travelling through Scotland, hence the lack of posts recently. I didn´t draw much during that time as I travelled with non-painters and had a tight schedule, so sitting around for hours sketching and painting wasn´t possible (although I would very much like to do that in the future!! Scotland´s landscapes are awesome and I took around 5000 photos. Lots and lots of reference :) ) These are some very rough and quick sketches and watercolours I did manage to make:

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 08-17-2016

Some time ago, I wanted to paint the girl with a pearl earring in oils. Finally I at least startedand made a grisaille painting. Once it´s dry, I´ll start applying colours.

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 08-19-2016

Some days, sketching from imagination just works like a charm (usually when I just let it go and don´t stress out too much about it). Todays sketch is one of those. It´s not perfect and still has some issues, but I´m actually satisfied with it (a rare occasion :) )

RE: Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff - Elderscroller - 08-23-2016

I call this one Wrongie McStiff. And he has issues...