Crimson Daggers — Art forum
BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: TOURNAMENTS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-71.html)
+--- Forum: THE CRIMSON CRUCIBLE (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: BLOODSPORTS FINALS/WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+----- Forum: BLOODSPORTS WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+----- Thread: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS (/thread-3000.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Dan Warren - 05-04-2013

Bloodsport 16 is here. the last two challenges have been working on your skills with design. this time were going to broaden it out and do a challenge on setting a scene with a lot of emphasis on MOOD and COMPOSITION. for this challenge, you are being asked to set up a scene as if it were a dynamic still from a movie, and composed on the traditional 16: 9 movie frame format. unlike an illustration, movie scenes are about pulling the viewer into the action and making us feel as if we are there, not merely showcasing the characters and designs in the blatant way concept art and fantasy illustration tends to. as always, there will be a lot of freedom in what you are able to do with this challenge. however, there are a few twists to keep it interesting.

imagine it is the high era of 80s movie releases. you have been hired to concept screens for a new blockbuster (can be fantasy, sci fi, horror, anything b-movie related in the 80s. think ridley scott and john carpenter.) it is your job to use the movie title to generate scene ideas with lots of mood and atmosphere to set the tone for the film. the image should encompass everything about the title, as if to sell the concept to the potential viewers.

RULE 1:

your scene must not only be designed on the 16:9 horizontal frame format, but it must also push a strong mood or feeling, setting the scene. to achieve this, we are asking you to watch some of your favorite movies, look for ones you really appreciate and want to learn from, and then study / interpret them into your own work. if your scene is dark and foreboding, study a movie that achieves that feeling. on the other hand, if it is bright and uplifting , you will need to study a particular movie and a particular scene to properly convey that as well.

RULE 2:

Because of our lovely guest judge (see below), this contests subject matter will be derived from a source material near and dear to our hearts. your scenes subject matter or mood MUST come from one of the titles on the following list: JUDAS PRIEST SONGS

Thats right. your scene, subject matter, and mood must be related to one of the titles of any JUDAS PRIEST song. not the lyrics or the album, just the song title. do anything you want- go as vague or as specific to the title as you see fit!

FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO

BLOODSPORT 16- THE BIG RIG

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - AaronJordan - 05-04-2013

Studying time.
http://movie-screencaps.com

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Pixeltuner - 05-04-2013

Oooh, sounds cool ^^ About the template thing, 16:9 without black bars is 2.35:1 (anamorphic widescreen I believe) so if you stick to that ratio you're always good :) For example: 2350 x 1000 pixels or 4700 x 2000 if you want to go bigger.

also, take a look at this if you like:
http://storyshots.tumblr.com/post/42768317672/drawing-from-films-drawing-from-films-is-a

It's really time consuming but a very helpful exercise, especially if you want to work in animation or film.

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Danar - 05-04-2013

hey guys here is a good site for some Blu ray Screenshots :

http://www.cinemasquid.com/

good luck everyone!

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Droideus - 05-05-2013

k did a quick webcam/paintover thing to start things off...

hello everybody by the way :)

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Itze - 05-05-2013

A study i did on my stream today:

[Image: LLMhbu5.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - croker - 05-05-2013

Hi all!

Quick reference painting for today. First time not using opacity on pen pressure, was tough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4aKHviuCQ&feature=youtu.be

... and a lighting study

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW8kzEclM2o&feature=youtu.be

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - Thomas Mahon - 05-06-2013

heres my start, I think I'm going for the first comp you see below for "Hell Patrol", although I've changed it slightly since this wip - They're nazi demons, by the way.

[Image: compsx.jpg]
[Image: studyf.jpg]
[Image: study2ho.jpg]
[Image: thumbsax.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - AaronJordan - 05-06-2013

Here we go. Aliens screeshot.

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - JordyLakiere - 05-07-2013

First study isn't very 80's yet - but I hope the end result will be

[Image: Screenshot_0198_175209.jpg]

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - EduardoGaray - 05-07-2013

First study guys, lets chop some enemy heads and hear the lamentation of the women.

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - walent - 05-07-2013

Hey guys,

I started with some light setup studies, not much, 1,5 h on each

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - warmics - 05-07-2013

Here's my brainstorming so far:

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - NoMoreHolyWar - 05-08-2013

The "80s" is for me a very tough subject to pin down what it is exactly, I was thinking about doing a natur/organic scene and really try and catch the mood with the natural light and maybe bring in a character. I did not grow up in that era, the only thing I really notice about them is half-bad costumes colors to be honest :P

How would you make a nature scene look 80s like?

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - EduardoGaray - 05-08-2013

(05-08-2013, 03:11 AM)NoMoreHolyWar Wrote: The "80s" is for me a very tough subject to pin down what it is exactly, I was thinking about doing a natur/organic scene and really try and catch the mood with the natural light and maybe bring in a character. I did not grow up in that era, the only thing I really notice about them is half-bad costumes colors to be honest :P

in one word, PREDATOR.

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - kailos - 05-08-2013

(05-08-2013, 03:11 AM)NoMoreHolyWar Wrote: The "80s" is for me a very tough subject to pin down what it is exactly, I was thinking about doing a natur/organic scene and really try and catch the mood with the natural light and maybe bring in a character. I did not grow up in that era, the only thing I really notice about them is half-bad costumes colors to be honest :P

If your going for more of a fantasy look in your nature scene look at Excalibur or maybe Legend. Nature scifi or action, like EduardoGaray said, Predator is great. Rambo could be good for nature ideas as well or maybe Indiana Jones. Really depends on what type of environment and theme your going for

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - SpectreX - 05-08-2013

For those not active in the 80's there is a great list on IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/list/-Kt5UvjvcVk/

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - walent - 05-08-2013

Here's a more elaborate study - trying to pin down my workflow (which is actually terrible)
I posted some of the process here

Also did a color adjustment to what I think an 80s scene should look like. At least that's how I see an old movie, a little desaturated and a yellowish/greenish color tint. Here's the best example I have: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/6781891410_1767c8c3af_z.jpg

And started the first sketches.

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - SamYang - 05-08-2013

Thanks SpectreX and great stuff so far everyone!

I don't think I'll have time to finish this challenge, but I really want to participate anyway :)

I'm planning to do a cinematic shot using the song title "Love Bites", and have a flower picking girl who's been lured and caught by a gigantic flower mantis. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a strong juxtaposition happening with a pretty garden setting and a grim moment at the focus of the image.

I'm a late 80s kid but can't remember much movies similar to the subject matter I've chosen from that era.. so I'm currently watching Legend right now to see if I can find scenes similar to what I want to achieve ^^

Some studies that I felt I need to be familiarized with and first sketches. I think getting the B-movie feel for this will be something I'll struggle with.

I also only realised this after telling my idea to someone else, but I'm pretty sure it came about after seeing PhillippS's awesome entry for the last challenge (the puppet master with his victim), and also from seeing the new Tomb Raider's intense death scenes, in particular the one with the spear through her throat/head and her expression/reaction to it. I'll have to make sure and try to keep my end result how I imagine it in my head, and it be something as original as I can make it :)

All comments welcomed!

RE: BLOODSPORT 16- The Big Rig- WIPS - andrewdoma - 05-09-2013

I'll bite. Sounds like fun! :)