Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Tyger sketches - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Tyger sketches (/thread-3199.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Chachava - 08-01-2013

Some fantastic progress so far, your definitely doing a lot better with your gesture drawings and anatomy than me. And you have a great approach to studying. As for the last couple of paintings of the kids, they're both fantastic. I especially like the rendering of the hair. I always struggle with hair, I've tried breaking it down into blocks of colour rather than individual strands, but I really seem to struggle with it.

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Tygerson - 08-21-2013

Thanks everyone for the comments! It's so encouraging. I believe I replied in your sketchbooks.

Some of the work for the "In yo face" portrait class. (Assignment 4)

Lineart of several very different people (which included open expressive mouths)

Full studies of three portraits given I normally work in black and white, then color. For all three I painted straight in color, no color picking, for the first time ever. I made piles of mistakes, fixed them as best as I could, and yay--new painting hurdle crossed!

Quick portrait from the mind using colors from one of full studies (yeah, I need to learn how faces are built--hence the class!)

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Olooriel - 08-22-2013

Oh. Those children you painted are fantastic - I love the mood and lighting of the little boy so much (in the bottom, warmer version)! You're _good_.

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Lumens - 08-22-2013

I'm blown away by your portraits, love the one with the kid playing with blocks.
I actually prefer the first one as some of the edges are somewhat lost with warm temperature laid on top. but thats just nit picking.

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Bjulvar - 08-22-2013

Nice stuff Tygerson!
You did a great job on the portraits of the kids. I like the second one a lot. You captured a nice angle of the head that I find hard to do. I do think the background could use a little bit more refinement, but that's just me. It obviously shouldn't take away too much from the focus!
Keep kicking butt!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - darktiste - 08-22-2013

not sure about the brush stroke effect.Maybe Choose something else and look at the result you may like it. That just a tips nothing personal against anything.

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Tygerson - 08-23-2013

Thank you all so very much!

Here is assignment 5 from "In yo face" by Suzanne Helmigh, drawing emotions from imagination. I started with a generic face so as not to start over constructing the head each time and lose momentum. Then I tried a new face for each, hopefully tilting it to match the emotion.

The fussier I got, the more the emotion drained out, so I left them messy. It is impossible to do this without making those expressions!

Also, I've been observing expressions. Little kids are great for this--they don't tone down their expressions the way grownups do. My two year old seems to mostly show contentment/joy, and very frequently shows surprise. Surprise is brief, then is followed by joy, or anger/annoyance, or sadness.

My five year olds is content, but not often surprised. Sometimes shows frustration/anger, or sadness.

One expression seems to be missing. Neither child ever seems to show contempt. Is this an expression we learn later? Like as a preteen?

RE: Practice, practice, practice - ramalooke - 08-25-2013

Goood, goood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_3v-FpKFg Keep it up!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Tygerson - 08-28-2013

My mom's dog, Holmes. A fun break from drawing people. I'm starting to like working straight in color, rather than coloring a grayscale painting.

Ref:

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Rognoll - 08-29-2013

Your still life color skills are sky-rocketing. Keep it up!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - smrr - 08-29-2013

It's been a while since I've popped over here and...

holy balls, Tygerson! My jaw is still hanging! You're a beast!
Your studies are killer!!

Awwwwh and that would have to be the cutest dog I've ever seen ^ ^' he's like a fox!

Keep up the great work :D :D

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Ignatz - 08-29-2013

Hi Tygerson. That dog portrait is great. I like the way you darkened the background behind the head and upper body; it's really made the image pop and created a lot more atmosphere. The end result is a better image than the original photo.

RE: Practice, practice, practice - DanBK - 09-04-2013

I was looking at a load of awesome portraits, and then you go and paint an incredible dog too! wow, love your work :D

RE: Practice, practice, practice - marjoriedavis - 09-05-2013

Loving your sketchbook! fantabulous gesture work! and your portraits omg so good! :) keep it going!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Tygerson - 09-06-2013

Assignment 6 of "In yo face," all emotions again, spending a day on each.

I was happiest with fear, and least thrilled with "joy." (Go figure.) I sure don't know how to construct a face, but did my best without ref. It helped to do a handful of sketches of each emotion with reference first, before going without.

They are fear, surprise, contempt, sadness, disgust (that vomity one), anger, and joy.

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Olooriel - 09-07-2013

Lovely painting of that dog, and again your colours are just beautiful!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Samszym - 09-07-2013

Nice heads! Really like how varied your color schemes are. Old animators would keep a mirror by their desk so they could make faces and then draw them onto the characters, if you want some more reference for emotions that would be a big help.
Cool stuff, good luck with In Yo face!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - EduardoGaray - 09-19-2013

that dog is study is great, great colors and light.
Also, its good to see you practicing from imagination, its been eyes since my last visit, i can see improvement, i hope you update this thing soon!

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Prabu - 09-19-2013

Post # 49 looks awesome.
I need to start drawing my dog :)

RE: Practice, practice, practice - Kaffer - 09-19-2013

Your studies are nice, you might want to keep an eye on an image of the eye-nose-mouth proportions while doing them, plus the eye area sometimes needs a bit more polish IMO.. Keep it up! :)