Crimson Daggers — Art forum
DoubleThinks Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: DoubleThinks Sketchbook (/thread-3266.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - Samszym - 07-13-2013

Glad you appreciated the critique, I was worried I'd started going overboard and been rather rude >_>

Cool designs! I think there's a ton of potential in that first image, great sense of depth there. it read as some kind of old abandoned mine in a Western to me. A western-set fantasy could be pretty awesome actually! Not suggesting you do that just typing out loud haha.

I liked the timer on pixelovley too, but I believe it's even more efficient to see a gesture on film and draw it without ever pausing. I try and draw the impression from the instant I saw the pose, instead of looking at it and copying what I see. That way when I finish one gesture drawing I'm looking for the next straight away. It's tough to do and for half my drawings I usually wind up pausing the film anyway and defeating the purpose, but that's my ideal XD

And you're right, plenty of other things would be as good as Loomis, I was just throwing out an example. Any way you learn is fine, I just should have said some more perspective/construction-oriented stuff from observation would be good practice.

Awesome to see you're taking initiative starting on a personal project, Most of the time I don't really feel brave enough to.
Best of luck with it, looking forward to seeing how it develops!

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 07-16-2013

@ Sam
Oh I always start new projects, I just hardly ever finish them. I have (what I think are ten good ideas a week) and I want to do them all. Or at least start them :P

More gestures. Wasn't really going well at first, but then I switched to a bigger brush, it was more fun :-P

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 07-21-2013

Have been quite busy the last few days making a wedding invitation for a friend.

here are some rather uninspired alien sci-fi stuff. It is kind of fun as a thinking excersise..

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 07-21-2013

Some animal drawing practice. The fur doesn't make it easier.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - aks9 - 07-22-2013

hey man!
ace colours in post #19.
really like the summer pitch concepty things too. to me they seem to be a whole step above your other work, great work on them.

a think about loomis is that its really important not to copy them. you really have to try understand the system of thinking that he's presenting and re-create it yourself, to memorise the proportions by drawing in lots of different angles than the ones he draws in, etc.

keep it up

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 07-26-2013

@aks9
Yeah, I get that a lot. I do a lot of stuff that kind of starts as a doodle, without a real goal. They're usually a whole lot worse than my other stuff

I suppose I could check some loomis stuff again. I do find it quite boring to be honest.

Look at my guns. Trying to convey mass. from memory. I do struggle with hands. Anyone know of any good reference sites?

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - aks9 - 07-26-2013

use your own hand as reference! really, it works great. you can see it up close in any position, get yourself a table mirror to see other angles of it

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 07-27-2013

God, faces are hard...

Some days it's really hard to stay motivated tbh.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-09-2013

some stupid sketches.
I think I've found a good brush for sketching in Photoshop now.
Finally.

Have some stuff on paper too but too lazy to scan

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-10-2013

pencil sketches and a paint over from a "painting" I did about a year ago.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-14-2013

Trying to keep my strokes a little looser.
When I tighten the painting it loses it's character.

Any tips on that?

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-19-2013

I just got my new computer and I can just paint fluently now on a decently sized canvas.

Had so much fun with this guy.
Might noodle on the details some more later. Some textures + paints

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-20-2013

Spent another hour or 2 noodling away at the details.
It was fun.

What do you guys think?
I feel it's a semi-decent portfolio piece.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - pnate - 08-20-2013

I like the rock guy :) I do think the movement of his limbs could be an issue if this was like a concept art piece, because the joints don't look like they could move naturally without bending in an odd way. Also I would recommend a few rock studies to get that texture down, but nice idea and color palette!

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-21-2013

pnate:you're absolutely right! Didn't stop to think about the legs.

Here's some more on the girl from earlier. Don't think I'll work on it more. Just wanted to see how far I could get without using reference.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - Sublimus - 08-21-2013

Nice work in here! I have a small crit for your last one though.

I know it was done from imagination, but a few things looks off. For one, the lower part of her face (starting from under the eyes) is kind of over sized, and makes her look a little masculine. The eyes should fall about in the middle of the head vertically. Also, her head was just a little large for her body.

I did a quick lasso manipulation to show what I mean. At this point here eyes look a little big (since the face as a whole got smaller) so they might need to be a little smaller to fit in, but you get the idea!

Cheers!

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-22-2013

Thanks for the crit Sublimus, thqt looks way better now!

Just some landscape studies tonight.

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 08-29-2013

Some cowboys and a seademon dude.

I really need to do some cowboy hat studies. They're harder than they look.
I'm also digging the dutch tilt in the seademon piece.

Let me know what you think before I take them further.

SO many ideas, so little time!

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 09-04-2013

Just some dragon designs out of me tonight.
I should try and clean some of these up.

But that's for uninspired days! :)

RE: DoubleThinks Sketchbook - Fedodika - 09-10-2013

keep going! i know it's tough to stay inspired, but eventually you'll hit a point where you'll say, man i gotta do this! if you haven't already listened to all the crimson conversations, they are a big motivator for me atleast; especially brad rigney's!