Crimson Daggers — Art forum
DaveK's sketches and studies - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: DaveK's sketches and studies (/thread-336.html)

DaveK's sketches and studies - DaveK - 01-30-2012

Hi all, for my first post, here's a wolf study I did while working on the Miyazaki Bloodsports challenge (I'm doing Princess Mononoke):

[Image: 2ezkxuc.jpg]

The ref I used for the wolf is here: http://www.superbwallpapers.com/animals/white-wolf-1808/ I used the highest res version of the image available. I realize my study is a bit off, slightly smaller and the snout is smaller compared to the reference. This is the first time I'm ever doing a study in this way, like how Dan was doing the elk. Usually I do the study in grayscale as a value painting and then colorize it in Photoshop using the color layer blend mode. This was just done using a hard round, no erasing.

I'm reminded how agitating it is to paint fur...... I have no idea if I went about this painting in a good way at all and probably did a bunch of things the wrong way (fur included), so any feedback/suggestions/critiques are totally appreciated. :)

And here's a page of studies I did out of one of the Loomis books:

[Image: 33bmvpx.jpg]

RE: DaveK's sketches and studies - DaveK - 02-18-2012

Here's a quick painting of a giant friendly bird-like creature with a lion-like tail. It was done during yesterday's Crimson Guardians Fantasy Fridays themed 2-hour challenge event. Colors and values are a bit off because of color calibration issues with the Cintiq. I want to put 4 more hours into it and add in some harder edges and clean up the colors and background colors, and pop out that tail a bit more into the foreground.

[Image: 2uggapw.jpg]