Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Fedodika the Koala - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Fedodika the Koala (/thread-3465.html)

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 12-31-2016

Aight, so today was very long. Had a quick commission I kinda solicited from a youtuber named "Ask Yourself" Was a lot of fun, but very tedious. Cleaning up cartoons is a lot of work! Plus he'll mention me in his upcoming vids, which is awesome!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-01-2017

Kek, might as well post cuz I'm not gonna get anything done the rest of the night, lolol here's some stuff, HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE! Danny devto was prolly the wost caricature  I've ever done lol. Owell, I'll try again later, have a good Kek at it hehehe

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-02-2017

srry these are small, i just hate uploading 6 files, it takes forever lol

the last one is from imagination

50 heads left

I've found i have a weird problem with drawing heads that are looking straight on or have very subtle changes in perspective. when i see any line, i completely see it as existing in 3d space, so drawing a face that is essentially without any turn of form frustrates me, so that was one thing i set out to fix. I found starting with the nose really helps, and getting it to look just right before moving on to the other features. 

Really exposed me to how weak I am at head drawing. But i was going through my old files today, and it's like 98% of what i did up until the last six months of 2016 was painting practice. Turd polishing as they call it on /ic/ lol. I'm great at polishing turds

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-03-2017

44 heads left

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-04-2017

hmm 37 heads left to go!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Artloader - 01-05-2017

Hey Fedo - sweet work - those heads are getting better!  Are you working from ref?

One thing I've noticed about your heads when you're doing them at a 45 degree view is that you tend to make the furthest cheek a little too sharp in my opinion.  For example in post #747 - the head on the top right is a good example of this - her left cheek just below the eye is sharper than I would normally expect.  You might want to get a few refs and study this area.  Having said all that, I feel that some of your more recent heads are starting to lose that sharpness in the cheek e.g. the ones in this last post.

Edit: If the sharp cheeks are a stylistic choice then forget I said anything :).

Hope this helps mate - keep going!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-05-2017

Artloader: Great observation! Yesh, that's why I'm doing all these studies is to get rid of these stoopid kinks in my work, but I think it's working, but it is tedious; however I'm getting faster, hmm need more commas lol, here's Peepee the frog! but yea, all except one or two are from reference, but no the observation isn't 100% I'm afraid on my part

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-06-2017

I drew this black girl and i really liked how it turned out, got a lot done today, gonna try to do even more tomorrow as usual,

Only 21 heads left!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-07-2017

11 heads left!!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-08-2017

[Image: spurdo_face.png]

I'b dyub it a hunrd hads!!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - John - 01-08-2017

Quote:I'm gonna do 100 drawings of figures that are accurate down to the overlay, and 100 faces that are accurate down to the overlay, and that should do it!

Now that you're done. I'm wondering how many of these 100 drawings are accurate right to a tee. But here's to hoping that you're honest enough to judge them for yourself!

And good job on finishing the exercise!

Quote:I'm gonna study Adam Hughes and Wes Burt and Stanley Lau and all those other artists who I don't care for because people seem to like them!

The stark difference between your work and Adam Hughes and Artgerm's is their work is so much cleaner than yours if we are comparing line art to line art. They have less lines thrown in and they are masterful dealing with line weights. The accuracy and their line economy shows confidence in their placement. 

That's not to say you don't have accuracy in mind. I mean you have accurate lines in your work, but there are a lot of not so accurate lines thrown in, which in turn, throws off the whole thing. And that's not saying what you got right now is downright wrong. I can always chalk what you're doing down under "stylistic choice".

You probably know this by now already, but just in case you don't, here's a link http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

You have an unparalleled work ethic, no doubt about that. It's just sometimes it seems you stray away from your main agenda in favor of something else entirely. I hope you still do your thing, your style. Nobody is stopping you from doing that. But to say you're going to study how this artist does it and putting your own spin to it makes me question how much of it is studying the artist's thought process and how much of it is imposing your style onto theirs.

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-09-2017

John: Lines ain't good, GOT IT!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Kimonas - 01-10-2017

Crazy amounts of improvements man without a doubt! You are getting much better at the proportions and perspective of the face. Now you need to work on rendering/tonal - which is arguably easier than learning the proportion/perspective part. Keep digging!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-10-2017

Kimonas: Hahahah thanks man!! Couple more of these and I'll probably do something cool, I got some ideas kickin around, don't tempt me too much to paint ;)

RE: Fedodika the Koala - devinn - 01-10-2017

Wtf. These are good, man. Did you have to tongue punch Artgerm's bum-bum to receive this insane levelup, seemingly overnight?

Nice job bro, goddamn dude. Just make sure you apply everything you learned! :D

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-11-2017

Jak: Thanks my man! Tryin it out today

Any suggestions on this piece are welcome, I've only put like 3 hrs in it, but I will fix the eyes tomorrow and detail it more, cheerz

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Artloader - 01-11-2017

What the?! You seem to have taken a giant step up overnight man! I think some of it is to do with the cleaner lines, but also your structure is getting better and better!

Keep it up Fedo! You're kickin' ass!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - devinn - 01-11-2017

Yeah, what artloader said: remain cognisant of clean lines/deliberate line weight and structure, homie! I'm seriously impressed; don't want you to think I'm just patting your ass haha

RE: Fedodika the Koala - Fedodika - 01-12-2017

Jak/artloader: Thanks guys! Well, I think I can explain why it seems like i learned a lot overnight. I've built up a lot of raw skill drawing messy and putting wild lines everywhere, because even though it looks bad, I'm still observing and learning. Studying Mr. Lau, was just like a guide that kind of arranged the raw skill so it's presentable. the 100 heads hepled a lot too, even if most of them are dookey looking. 

But before this I'd never spend like 3 hours on a line drawing of a head, now I do and makes a difference, specially when I can see a master of line art indicate how the lines should look. I just never considered that. Now and I'm thinking of lineart as it's own thing instead of "shading" as i used to. In fact I find shading kind of looks ugly (when I do it) with crosshatching, but I plan to study some people who are good at that because it is fun to do. 

Lines are like edges now, they are an art form in themselves. I've still got about 20 more Artgerm line studies to do, if you wanna find them he's got a ton on his facebook, don't try google images or DA you won't get much. 

Workin straight today, whew, any suggestions on this color piece before i post it is welcome!

RE: Fedodika the Koala - gregorkari - 01-12-2017

nice work!
I get what you mean with the crosshatching. You got to really be careful placing your strokes and work with high opacity otherwise it will often turn into a muddy carpet of paint :)