Crimson Daggers — Art forum
BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: TOURNAMENTS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-71.html)
+--- Forum: THE CRIMSON CRUCIBLE (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: BLOODSPORTS FINALS/WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+----- Forum: BLOODSPORT FINALS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-21.html)
+----- Thread: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil (/thread-3643.html)

Pages: 1 2

BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Dan Warren - 07-22-2013

ok guys, heres whats up-

were running a challenge to pay for the entry fee of 2 people to the bali illustration camp!

LINK--BALI WORKSHOP FACEBOOK!

the entry fee is 600 usd, and will be waived for the two winners of this contest!

(keep in mind, winners and attendees still have to cover the cost of their flight / hotel / food. we are doing what we can to help, but this is a non profit and we cant cover everything!)

however, were going to run this as if it were a normal bloodsport, and allow anyone who wishes to develop or work on this idea to do so here on the forums, on this thread!

if you are planning on attending the bali workshop, you must also post your FINALS on the workshops facebook when you are done.

the deadline for this challenge is sunday, august 4th- we will be checking the entries the day after. so get them in before the morning of august 5th!

for those of you on the forum not planning on attending, have fun and develop this however you see fit. as of now, we dont plan to judge these the way we do with the normal bloodsports, but we like the idea and are looking forward to what people do with it.

THE BRIEF

HEROIC RECORD : STARVEIL

it is the late 1980s and a japanese publisher has hired you to do a westernized cover for their u.s. release of a popular sci fi manga called STARVEIL. you have creative control to an extent, but you are required by the publishers to include the following:

The Hero--Raylen Starbreeze - a man in his late 20s / early 30s and captain of the smuggler vessel 'Backscatter', one of the last of the Echo-Vessels in the galaxy. he is a loveable rogue who always rides the line in galactic conflict. rumors around the galaxy suggest he bears a striking resemblance to the lost prince of Earth, but that was 2000 years ago, and this is mere conjecture.

-The Heroine / sidekick-- Tsun-Sol - a woman in her mid 20s who is exotic and foreign looking when compared to Raylen. she is last of a line of ancient bio-cores designed to power special class mach- 1 Echo-vessels. Raylen found her, along with his ship, in the ruins of the lost space civilization known for creating these mechanical wonders. they have since become fast friends, partners, and potential lovers.

-The Villain-- Sha' Doe Darkspace- a mechanical sorceror melded and born of pure dark matter. similar in mechanics to the engine powering Tsun-Sol, he is regarded as her polar opposite. after a chance encounter with the 'Backscatter' in the rings of a dying moon, He mercillessly tracks down Tsun Tsol across the galaxy, recognizing her as the last of the Ancient's bio-cores, and his only rival for total universal control... or perhaps theres something more? Only time will tell.

using this information, you are being asked to create an 8x10 book cover for the western release, and to stick to the sci fi anime design conventions of the time (late 1980s) when creating the character's updated looks, technology, and surroundings. the style can be as anime or as realistic as you choose, but it must be taken seriously and rendered / well thought out regardless of which direction you go. for this contest, if applying for the prize, please no joke entries.

for those of you applying on facebook, no need to show studies or wips, only FINAL, FINISHED WORK please. feel free to post studies, sketches, and everything else (as usual) here on the thread. i wont be opening a wips thread for this, so post everything right on here!

Good luck, or as Raylen would say- "Mother Moon be with you."

see you in Bali!

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - DanDussault - 07-24-2013

we gotta power.

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - JacobJanerka - 07-26-2013

Here's a collection of images from 1980's Sci Fi animes that I collected for research, which I thought I'd share.

http://i.imgur.com/7mqrt9W.jpg

And heres the list of IP's which I got them from

Akira
Patlabor: The Movie
Venus Wars
Be Forever Yamato
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Cyber City Oedo 808, Goku: Midnight Eye
Dominion Tank Police
Toward the Terra movie
Bubblegum Crisis
Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01
Black magic M66
Ninja Senshi Tobikage
Wings of Honneamise
Gunbuster
Uchuu no Senshi
Gall Force 3: Stardust War
Rhea Gall Force

Hopefully this might help someone. Good luck daggers! <3

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Darqjakob - 07-29-2013

Not planning on entering officially. But here is a concept I did:

[Image: x3eo8p.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - JacobJanerka - 07-30-2013

Here are some character designs in preparation for the final illustration.

[Image: Oa58rSe.jpg]
[Image: d5LfD2R.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - nickmacey - 07-31-2013

hey guys heres my comps and some finals. I had so much trouble with everything in the first two attempts, i hated them both so i restarted from scratch. Hope you like em, cant wait to see everyones! good luck everybody :)

[Image: ig8t7Kn.jpg]

[Image: 5vPhkZJ.jpg]

Edit; Heres the final version, my colour calibration didnt work on my laptop so tried my best to fix it up on another computer.

[Image: tIApmIz.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Moonskinned - 08-02-2013

Hey all.

Heres my entry!

[Image: b44437c466f90fc60cefb0d575140a09-d6g87yn.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - JacobJanerka - 08-02-2013

Final sketch, time to push on and paint!

[Image: 2ozI9yW.jpg]
[Image: 22m3AMo.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - croker - 08-03-2013

My entry, good luck everyone!

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Marko Svraka - 08-04-2013

I found this on Bali workshop facebook page:
''Quick update: Due to the contest held by Crimson Daggers, the application deadline has been extended to 10 August 2013.''

So, is this valid only for facebook entries, or does it also apply for entries on this thread?
What I want to ask is, will this thread be closed tomorrow or do we have another week to do this?

Thanks

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - Angelmarthy - 08-04-2013

Hi, Here is my final artwork for the entry ^_^
[Image: heroic_record___starveil_by_angelmarthy-d6ggvok.jpg]

Good Luck everyone..See you in Bali, because I am a Balinese hehe..^_^

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - seestyle - 08-04-2013

Hi, here's mine

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - hndidsign - 08-05-2013

Here's My Entry for this challenge,
StarVeil Cover by Handi Timothius
[Image: HandiTimothius-BaliChallengeEntry.jpg]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - freedomisnow - 08-05-2013

Hi guys this is my Entry
and here's some Wip's

BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - inxiung - 08-05-2013

Hello,
This is my entry for Bali Illustration Workshop CHALLENGE,
Starveil - Heroic Records

by Gilbert Jansen

[Image: starveil___bali_illustration_workshop_ch...llgv.png?1]

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - windboi - 08-05-2013

I m sorry but I heard from Baliworkshop's page, that the deadline has been delayed to 10/8 ? is this correct ?

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - freedomisnow - 08-05-2013

(08-05-2013, 02:21 AM)windboi Wrote: I m sorry but I heard from Baliworkshop's page, that the deadline has been delayed to 10/8 ? is this correct ?

I think it was for workshop application deadline, not the challenge

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - JacobJanerka - 08-05-2013

Some studies

[Image: tumblr_mqy919Raxr1s2vrp7o1_1280.jpg]
[Image: BW74gZT.jpg]

And the final
[Image: GAQb6Zw.jpg]

Good luck everyone <3

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - windboi - 08-05-2013

Hi everyone, here's my piece for StarVeil challenge !

and a close up view to the main characters

Good luck everyone !

RE: BALI CHALLENGE! - StarVeil - altonova - 08-05-2013

Hello.. I hope I'm not too late to submit an entry.. hehehe

This is my entry
[Image: starveil_zps1781716b.jpg]

also.. this mark my first post here in this forum.
hello, everyone!