Crimson Daggers — Art forum
NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today (/thread-4505.html)

Pages: 1 2

NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-17-2013

Heya,
I've been drawing on and off for a while and because of health reasons it's mostly been 'off'.
But I'm in a hospital at the moment, and have the chance to do my 8hrs a day. I'll hopefully be doing it for a year, and maybe even a year and a half, before returning to the real world.
I'll post some of the note worthy things I do. Most of it will be traditional, but I do have access to a pc on week ends, where I try to work on my color.
Also most of the stuff is shot with a crappy camera, so the image quality will be kinda low
Comments are more than welcome

Decided to reopen a sketchbook on this forum, just in case :).
I around on other place, so here's a link to all the previous stuff I've done while being at teh hospital:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272449

I'll pick things up from today onwards
Let's get rocking!

Didn't do much yesterday because it was sunday, and there's was family stuff, and nothing good to show.
Here's some of todays. As I mentionned I'm going to focus on the pirates a lot more, so My schedule is going to be something along the lines of morning =study, rest of the day = personal
So here's today's study, still working on that anatomy and rendering, but it looks muddy :(
And one of the "finished" pirate line, with tones to sort of differentiate materials. Not sure I like this particular pose, the thumb's pose is quite different
[Image: file.php?id=10387]

[Image: file.php?id=10388]

RE: Pittem October 2013 - - Tom Seas - 12-18-2013

Stuff from today. It's traditional Tuesday, so here's an oil quick study, first pass. Didnt have time for the extra passes.
And then still trying to apply it from memory, a really bad painting. These are rather quick (45m) but meh, not great.
[Image: file.php?id=10410]
[Image: file.php?id=10411]

Also spending quite some time on the pirates, so managed to get two done today
[Image: file.php?id=10412]
[Image: file.php?id=10413]

RE: Pittem October 2013 - - Tom Seas - 12-19-2013

Didn't make time for studies today because I spent time online looking stuff up for fitness, and audiobooks and articles and all that, so just two pirates
[Image: file.php?id=10441]

[Image: file.php?id=10442]

RE: Pittem October 2013 - - Tom Seas - 12-20-2013

Today anatomy study, with the one from memory. Took some more time on the memory one, learned a few things with it too which is really cool. Made me think about form a lot more. The original photograph has two confusing lights so not the best ressource, but shows the muscle well.
Did some pirates stuff, but nothing to show, will be over the week end for sure
[Image: file.php?id=10477]
[Image: file.php?id=10478]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-23-2013

Some stuff from friday and this evening. Had a week end off with my girl friend.
I have to work on my figures because they look very stiff :s
my traditional friday oils, which ending up as a big fail in terms of proportions and construction, but an improvement in the workflow because I did a faster first pass and almost finished the second one
[Image: file.php?id=10564]

And two more pirates, gonna finish the batch of 10 and then work on something else for a while, especially gestures
[Image: file.php?id=10565]
[Image: file.php?id=10566]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-24-2013

Last batch of pirates, more stiff, clunky figures for me to show the world. At least I can move on the more pressing matters for now
First one is just hilariously wrong
[Image: file.php?id=10592]

Second one is pretty bad too
[Image: file.php?id=10593]

Third one is the only one without any ref
[Image: file.php?id=10594]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-27-2013

Holiday season is almost over, only New Year left. Really glad because it's so disruptive. That being said happy Xmas to everyone,
As a result of festivities I didn't get that much done the last few days. I had a nice chat with my brother about being productive, working hard, being organized and more.
As such I re did my schedule, and tried to improve on it from the previous version:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?s ... e/Brussels
So I got started with hands and gestures so here's a few. I'll start timing them once I get a decent flow to help me condense what information I put down
[Image: file.php?id=10657]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-28-2013

Traditional failday. I realized how important using specific oil paint brands is because I was using a brand before, where the paint was buttery and would mix in a specific way, and then today I used Winsor and Newton ones and the paint was a lot more flowy and milky and gave very different results. Also the drawing was wrong in so many ways I quit.
Stil trying to focus on hands, hopefully some studies to show and me trying to apply all of that
[Image: file.php?id=10667]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-29-2013

Those hands actually take ages. But here's a page for starters done over the past few days
Gonna get more reading done, and try and apply it all
[Image: file.php?id=10706]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Jaik - 12-29-2013

I feel ya with the holidays being disruptive. Looking forward to being able to get back into the rhythms of pushing it every day instead of getting distracted by christmas ham..

Those hands do take a lot of time but are definitely necessary to being able to draw them well.. Hands are one of those things that are just reps, reps, reps.
Keep experimenting with different methods and keep up the good work :)

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-30-2013

Jaik: Yeah you have to put in the hours for hands (well for anything really) but hands seems to take that much longer because of their complexity

Some more hands for today, did lots of reading in the Famous Artists course and Hogarth's hands book with some side reading in Bridgman's 100 hands book.
[Image: file.php?id=10742]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 12-31-2013

So I tried doing gestures, and last time I did them on paper they weren't like total shit, it is that much harder digitally? Because they're just awful...
[Image: file.php?id=10762][Image: file.php?id=10763]

And some hands for good measure. Mostly from Hogarth and some from mind
[Image: file.php?id=10764]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - ApolOllipop - 01-01-2014

Great studies! I love your oil studies more:) You should also practice drapery cuz the capes on your pirates aren't free-flowing. Foreshortening could be improved. Think of it as an 'overlapping of shapes'.

For the drapery: Someone suggested to me that you should use white chalk for the lights and the dark chalk (red/black) for the SHADOWS cuz the middle tone would be your paper. You should always leave room for the middle tone.

I hope this helps somewhat (coming from a noob like me TuT)

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Jaik - 01-05-2014

It is a lot harder to do gestures digitally than traditionally. If you are using an intous one thing is that you arent looking where you are drawing, the other is that the feel is all different. But the good news is that it doesnt take much practice to get to where you are with traditional and gestures are the best way to do so, as long as you are focusing on the line work as well.

Keep up the good work and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I do love the feedback :)

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 01-15-2014

@ApolOllipop : thanks. Drapery is definitely on my todo list. Thanks for the tips, have some toned paper lying around I'll use.
@Jaik: Yeah it feels I'll never get used to not seeing the surface I draw on. Although sometimes my lines see some improvement digitally.

I'm back, finally after a new year hiatus. "Real life" has it's perks, but sometimes it can work against you in so many ways. I think from now on I'll try and avoid events like New Year as much as I can. It's like your preparing for a run, and you start running and suddenly someone comes up and asks you to stop. So you do and have a chat, which is distracting and all. And then getting back on the track and starting to run can be such a pain again. That's why everyday is a new challenge, of it's own. Even tho nothing much has changed, the hard part isn't really having done a thing a certain number of times before, it's waking up and doing it again the day and the day after that. Like going to the gym nearly everyday is really hard to keep up, but in the end it feels really great.

Another way I look at this is me being an army, or having different factions inside me. And for the past 3 months, certain parts have been fighting really hard, recruiting new troops, strengthening the platoons, building forts and outposts. Growing in size, repelling the barbarian hordes that try to get into the cracks of the Empire. But at some point the ennemy realizes the futility of their actions and take a step back to regroup and grow in strength. As such there's no longer any attacks and your troops grow lax, and disperse a bit. A that's when the ennemy, or Resistance comes back full force. So the last two weeks I've been working hard on trying to keep the ennemy at bay with the few troops I had on stand by, losing ground, losing cities, having to retreat and re-think of a strategy. But as I kept losing more ground, the ennemy had to disperse and thin down it's forces, which gave me time to recruit forces of my own. It's time to repel the invaders of this land, and take back what's mine, as strategies and tactics are formed.

*rant out*

Some stuff:
some gestures what was going to be a study and a sketch
[Image: file.php?id=11176]

[Image: file.php?id=11177]

[Image: file.php?id=11178]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 01-16-2014

A line thingy for today. From gw2. Boring frontal pose but wtv
[Image: file.php?id=11204]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 01-17-2014

More stuff from guild wars 2. Trying to get used to drawing the races so here's a sheet of their Asura race. I did the poses before doing the mock up skeleton and muscle overlay. I might do it the other way around next time.
The hard part is nailing those faces
[Image: file.php?id=11216]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 01-18-2014

Some sketches from today, some more Asuras that kinda look like gremlins
[Image: file.php?id=11240]

And something for a last minute contest about drawing an elementalist. Posting the figure so you can give proportion changes and what the final will kinda look like. Haven't used ref on this. Inspired by the Avatar series.
[Image: file.php?id=11241]
[Image: file.php?id=11242]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 01-28-2014

Here’s some new stuff kinda WIPish, have two illustrations sketched out but wanted to get the feel of the character first.
A basic orthographic view and two mockups I’ll finish this week WITH paint yoloswag.
Also gonna come back to the elementalist thing, even though I quite obviously missed the deadline. I start but never finish...
[Image: file.php?id=11489]

RE: NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today - Tom Seas - 02-03-2014

Some junk from the last few days. Doing entire mornings doing figure stuff, might start posting some of that to keep this alive daily again. Also stopped doing traditional Tuesdays and Fridays because I didn't know what to do with oils other than anatomy studies. Gonna start doing portraits starting this week.
Finished that sheet, now gonna color it up.
[Image: file.php?id=11663]

Or as you can see, I'll be an attempt at coloring because I have no clue of how to do this. Thing supposedly for someone, but so bad I kept it for myself.
[Image: file.php?id=11664]