Crimson Daggers — Art forum
pugsloth's sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: pugsloth's sketchbook (/thread-4597.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-06-2014

If you are reading this, thank you for looking at my sketchbook, the aim of this is to track my progress over time, but also to gain helpful feedback on my artwork, if you leave feedback I want you to know it is appreciated to the highest degree, you're helping me get better and I thank you for that.

Kicking off with a portrait from imagination I finished today, there is something just off about it, I think it's a combination of things, it's not anatomically correct with the shape of a skull, I like to paint/draw characters with different proportions, this time it just didn't work out quite right, I've put the painted version and the initial sketch here to show.

[attachment=40472]

[attachment=40473]

Also here are two of my drawings from my first proper life drawing session I went to the other week, going to try and go to more of these, so useful.

[attachment=40470]

[attachment=40471]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-06-2014

Done some 30 second gestures today, hard at first but I think I'm learning to capture the poses, any feedback is appreciated!

Also some heads I drew a week or two ago that I'm quite proud of, but critiques are more than welcome!

[attachment=40556]

[attachment=40557]

[attachment=40558]

[attachment=40559]

[attachment=40560]

[attachment=40561]

[attachment=40562]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - kidult - 01-06-2014

Welcome to the sb section! Hope you get to post lots!

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-07-2014

Thanks kidult me too! Only other commitment is university work so should be able to :)

Some anatomy studies I did today, not as clear as in real life, need to work on making them clearer, think my proportions aren't too bad.

These are drawn from my anatomy model I got from 3D Total by the way :)

[attachment=40596]

[attachment=40597]

[attachment=40598]

and then a full drawing, not done a rendered pencil piece in a long time, lower legs are really short, values aren't too good, some of the anatomy is okay though.

[attachment=40599]

[attachment=40600]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-07-2014

Work in progress of a portrait, about an hour and a half in, finish it tomorrow morning :)

[attachment=40608]

Reference: http://www.portrait-photos.org/_photo/5339821.jpg

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-08-2014

Update on the portrait, going to tidy up the hands/pomegranate and redo the hair tomorrow, think need to work on getting a better structure down I think, as my painting doesn't really look like her.

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-09-2014

Going to call this done, not done much today apart from finish this, just got my Companion set up today so hopefully some digital studies from life soon!

[attachment=40776]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-10-2014

So today consisted of a cluster smuck of studies, did some leg anatomy, mainly focusing on proportions, not going for any clean sketches, then I studied a full body anatomy plate from here:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6537/10f873xm0.jpg

and then I went on to draw the planes of the head from different angles (life drawing), started the exercises from Scott Robertson's new book 'How to Draw', really helpful stuff, can't wait to do the complex perspective stuff (later tonight hopefully).

Then I just have a few heads I sketched from the web.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

[attachment=40874]

[attachment=40875]

[attachment=40873]

[attachment=40876]

[attachment=40877]

[attachment=40878]

[attachment=40879]

[attachment=40880]

I also did some gesture drawings but they were just as bad as my previous ones so I didn't bother uploading.

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-12-2014

Sat in front of the mirror for about 8 or 9 hours today, not too happy with what I came up with, first self portrait is always the hardest I guess!

[attachment=41172]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-14-2014

Found a schedule to follow in the Art Discussion forum and remade it as a wallpaper, originally by Viktor Fetsch.

http://i.imgur.com/AgU5aF8.jpg

So anatomy:

[attachment=41350]

[attachment=41351]

I saved the colour photo portrait to dropbox but it didn't upload.

Then something from imagination:

[attachment=41352]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - Adam Lina - 01-14-2014

Thats pretty damn good for a first self portrait. I commend you for spending 8 to 9 hours on it. I lack the attention span for more than 2 or 3 hours on any one piece. You should try to do more drawing from imagination. Its funny how people tend to give advice that they dont follow themselves :D

(01-14-2014, 04:42 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Thats pretty damn good for a first self portrait. I commend you for spending 8 to 9 hours on it. I lack the attention span for more than 2 or 3 hours on any one piece. You should try to do more drawing from imagination. Its funny how people tend to give advice that they dont follow themselves :D

Thanks Haze :) I've been digitally painting for a while so that helped, but painting a face from life is much much harder than painting from a photo, I like to be dedicated though!

I will be doing a lot more imaginative work from now on, I was stuck thinking "What should I draw/study today?", so the schedule will keep me working on things :)

It sound like you need some self discipline haha! There are some great books on becoming a more disciplined person though, give it a search :)

Here's a sketch from a photo and a perspective study, need to get better!

[attachment=41389]

[attachment=41390]

Done some gestures this morning, did way more but these were the ones I were happy with, have trouble getting the right line/curves.

[attachment=41422]

Then a landscape study I did of this photo:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7718543626_1a7902c660_o.jpg

Really enjoyed it :)

[attachment=41423]

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-15-2014

Carefully studied the proportions of the head today using a link Wojtek Fus shared on Facebook:

http://www.deadoftheday.blogspot.co.uk/p/downloads.html

Is what they teach at Watts Atelier.

[attachment=41472]

Then started watching the first lecture of a series of 10 by Robert Beverly Hale about the rib cage, really great learning material!

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-17-2014

Finished a skeleton study today, took a good while but I think the proportions are pretty good, good practice for line quality, trying to not use sketchy lines at all, good fun. working on a portrait of my friend also so I'll upload that when it's done :)

[attachment=41699]

Reference:

http://i.imgur.com/xMnwnYV.jpg

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - BenFlores - 01-17-2014

cool work man, i can see you're really pushing for it. for feedback id say to avoid full black because when you are trying to turn it into color it will really just stay black instead of whatever hue that shadow is taking. but of course there are exceptions to that "rule", anthony jones who is amazing at values says that unlike most people he will use a bit of black in those spaces that just absolutely cannot have any light within. i hope that helps a bit, keep updating this thread.

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-17-2014

Thanks for the feedback Ben, really appreciated, I never really thought of that so I'll bare it in mind next time I'm working on something :) but yeah I watch AJ all the time, such an inspirational man! I'll probably be updating this thread until I keel over and die!

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - JonHop - 01-17-2014

Great work so far in your sketchbook and i thought the self portrait came out well, lookig forward to seeing more of your digital work. Keep up the hard work!

RE: pugsloth's sketchbook - pugsloth - 01-18-2014

Thanks for the feedback Jon means a lot, here is a quick portrait from imagination, I'm obsessed with ugly looking characters, this guy sort of inspires that, his characters have so much personality.

Even Mehl Amundsen

[attachment=41736]