Crimson Daggers — Art forum
The Velvet Revolvers - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: STUDY GROUP (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: PARTNER/GROUP DAILIES (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Velvet Revolvers (/thread-6811.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-19-2016

Day 43, Sun Jan 17 at 8pm

Painted on a Apple iPad Pro/Pencil with Sketchbook Pro.

This is the first time I have used the iPad and Sketchbook Pro. So far I am finding the pencil performs very well with little to no stroke lag, even on large “retina” images and brushes.

When using larger brushes, the lack of a on-screen indicator of brush size makes painting more difficult than with a Wacom device.

I like having reference on-screen while drawing and painting. 

Multitasking on ios 9 is new but somewhat limited. Spit view offer two panes that can be 50/50  or 70/30 shared in size. the smaller view can only by the right pane. Split view does work well  for me as i am right handed and the reference image is in the right pane.

Pip (floating window) only supports video. I used photoshop to convert several ref images to a video format, That worked much better for screen economy but is limited in size and placement.

System performance seemed unaffected by the extra windows.

[Image: Jsc2UDa.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 01-20-2016

Jeso:Sad to hear you're leaving but good luck with whatever it is you're doing, and thanks for setting up the group! we would'nt all be posting here if it was'nt for you :).

I have'nt got time to update atm, i've got a ton of stuff to post but have'nt found the time(my scanner takes it's sweet time scanning stuff), i'll try to upload some work this friday.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - CE RL - 01-20-2016

Anatomy study
[Image: EDF5c6Q.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-20-2016

CE RL, that is great study!

Day 43, Tuesday Jan 19 at 9pm
Painted on a Apple iPad Pro/Pencil with Medibang Paint

This is the first time I have used the iPad and Medibang Paint. So far I am finding the pencil performs very well, and only with a full retina resolution image, several layers and a large brush, did the strokes slow down considerably

Medibang Paint is a surprisingly feature complete app, it runs on all platforms, and is free. however the app is not yet compatible with iOS 9 split-window feature, so I relied mostly a converted image loaded into PiP.

[Image: FbwOIQZ.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-21-2016

Today's WIP.

[Image: nLK0K2q.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 01-21-2016

Just passing thru boys... Thanks for the sweet words. I'm definitely not out of the game.
Also, huge props for artistebot! Great consistency buddy! Keep busting those out! The rest of you! dont let him leave you all behind!!!

Power to ya Velvets!

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-22-2016

Great to hear from you Jeso, go group go!

As always, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

[Image: CDPoZkM.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Eyliana - 01-22-2016

Bot; I really like your last study. The accuracy is really good and the planes of the face are clear. Me likes. The values could have been a bit darker I think.

For me last weeks has been difficult to draw a lot. I try to draw each day 1-2h, but during the week I'm too tired most of the time. SO if I draw, I don't have the energy to focus on studies. Makes me sad. So for now a painting I did last weekend. I'll try to post a few studies in the weekend.

Anatomy and planes are still a struggle. And I notice that during painting things change, or at least look a lot different then from the sketch.

[Image: mariabelle_by_eyliana-d9ov22t.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-23-2016

Eyliana. you are doing a great job keeping at it, you are not alone.

I will post some feedback that I got on level up Facebook page, that I think might help you too:

"Stand back a while and check proportions, curves, edges etc. It's all about small details, lots of, and when they are fixed, it can change the overall. If you are to correct some areas, don't go into shade details, just use 1 grey for scale and positionning, and when you are sure it's same as picture, go on overpaint for light and shadow.

Here is breakdown of my PS layers, but it is also the order that I created the image in. Also have a look at this video of Dan Dos Santos as he paints. He starts with very detailed sketch, and has plenty of reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjWP18hPHE

[Image: uIloW13.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-23-2016

Todays study, just started, in Sketchbook pro..

[Image: y31D4dF.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 01-24-2016

Sorry I could'nt update for a while, had to rearrange my scanner.

Artistebot:Your studies have improved a ton man, you've managed to get down the atmosphere of that liam neeson screenshot great, I wish I could say more then that but I can't find anything to critique.

CE RL:Firstly fantastic job of capturing the feel and colour of the study great job on that man, however the proportions seem very off to me, it could just be the size of the study compared to the ref but the head looks small(plus the neck looks a bit too saturated) and some of the other proportions seem a bit off overall.

Eyeliana:Nice job on the colours, however there's a bunch of problems for one the neck looks very off, you drew it more as a cylinder without the curve under the chin area, secondly the hair looks more like a wig(is it supposed to though because it looks very wig like) areas like the sideburns and the back of the head don't have any hair and wig or not it seems to awkwardly fly out on the sides rather then falling down naturally.

Won't upload everything as I don't want to spam the chat so i'll just upload the most recent stuff, but the rest of it is in my sketchbook post if you're interested, it's just more of the same though.

Did some eye studies, not studying them at the moment but istebraks doing a class on them so I wanted to post some drawings for it.

fanart of peach from mario, having alot of difficulty coming up with ideas to draw now, gonna carry around a little notepad for jotting down any ideas that come to me.

proko shoulder girdles, almost onto the muscle adding part now, I think i've gotten the hang of these pretty well, it's hard to find the shoulders on some people but theres some good landmarks to get a good idea on, the main issue has still been trying to find the ribcage under all the muscle.

And more hands, decided i'm gonna do 100 from imagination alongside the 100 reffed ones
reffed

imagination

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Eyliana - 01-25-2016

@Bot; Thanks for the feedback. You are right that I have to stand back more before painting and while painting. Sadly enough watercolours don't work the way most medium, especially in the start phase the painting looks horrible, while when it's dry it will look ok. But having at least a good sketch as a reference might help.

@Trigger; The hair is a bit difficult, I totally agree that the connection to the had is off I just didn't notice it before.. It was a portrait of an anime character of somebody. So unnatural hair is a thing there, but I suppose things don't mix that well.

The irises from your eye studies look a bit small.  And maybe try to do eyes as a couple. I see a lot of right eyes, not so much left eyes.

Some more studies. I bought a brush pen that I had to try out.

[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9p5ne8.jpg]

[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9p5yr2.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 01-26-2016

Eyliana:Cheers, i've tried to make them bigger in these studies, btw keep a closer eye on your proportions, i'm not sure how much they helped me but bargue studies are good for really concentrating on proportions, you don't need to set them up the proffessional way just copy them from the screen(though if you have a physical copy of the drawings even better).

MOre eyes, posted the ref for 3 of these as well this time.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-26-2016

Keep this studies going, great work!

life drawing today. Clover Paint on CInitq Hybrid

[Image: rcoz58l.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 01-26-2016

Hey Trigger! pretty great studies! Specially the torso ones, great great work. Keep it up.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 01-27-2016

Thanks Jeso, yeah for the torso's I could move onto the muscles part of the proko course now but i'm gonna try and test out my knowledge of the torso skeleton by drawing the whole torso on a few pictures, the ribcage, shoulder girdle and pelvis. I think the only one i'm still having massive difficulty with is the pelvis, such a complex shape it's hard to draw consistently.

Artistebot:Oooh life drawing, hoping I can start that soon myself. found somewhere about an hour 1/2 away up in london on thursdays, just need to figure out if the cost would be worth it.

Anyway just more eyes, Istebrak critiqued these for me today so i'm gonna try and apply her crits to another set.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-27-2016

More work on greyscale values.  Much more difficult to block in values with so much detail.

[Image: lbuZbga.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-28-2016

More detail work...

[Image: AlgBrcX.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Eyliana - 01-28-2016

Hey Bot, I really like the face. But I have the feeling that something is off, her head feels a bit big, but I can't really figure out what needs to be different. So maybe that's just me. And at the first glance it looks like the bow is going between her breast, because the bow has the same value as the straps.

Personal art review;

For starters I made huge proress to where I was when I started last september/october to where I am now. The portraits are better, have more depth and I have an understanding on how to construct a portrait. Putting that into practice seems to be more difficult though and I know that takes time and practice. But I also have the feeling I'm lacking some fundamentals that limit myself to get futher. So I think it is time to take a step back and focus on that.

Those basic things include:
Perspective; I have a basic understanding from my prodcut design background, but I aws never good at that either so I'll need to fix.
Linework; I have ben trying to work on this the last weeks as warming up exercises.
Observation & Accuracy; Being able to observe better what's going on in a picture and being able to copy this.
Watercolour studies: I really enjoy painting and it is getting better. But the paintings I make are too stroky, and well sometimes just not the thing I want. I'll try to do some studies from life but also other subjects like landscapes so I get a better understanding of how the paint works.

More postive; I subscribed to a drawing and painting course at the university which will start upcoming monday. Quite exited for that!
And I'll keep trying the portraits, as I do need to see if the new method is working ;).

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 01-29-2016

Thanks for the feedback Eyliana. I think you are correct on the problems with the image, the face proportions are a bit off, that is very helpful for me.  I have to admit, I need to find a way get more comfortable/confiodent with my line and brush strokes. Practice practice practice.

Your personal progress is going well, lots of drawing practice with your upcoming course sounds exciting, I  think we all will continue to look forward to your progress.