Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Flo's sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Flo's sketchbook (/thread-757.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Flo's sketchbook - iCi - 01-29-2013

Keep at it bro, glad to hear it, cool update!

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Victor Quaresma - 01-29-2013

woah diggin your pencil sketches, I have no patience for those so I envy people who pencil out stuff, comes out awesome. One day I tried to copy wesburt's style but it took so long and it was so bad XD

The conceptart study is a very nice idea, I'll prolly try it out also! keep it up =)

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-09-2013

hey guys,

small update with some anatomy studies, sketches, a quick study of a sea flower and some concepts for the game project.

cheers,
Flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-11-2013

Victor Quaresma: thanks for the kind words on my pencil stuff. i really hope i will have a good understanding of how to make a beautiful line someday. i think also it is useful to study people with good linework, as lines are nothing that is sculpted much (like rendered images) but often very direct. hope this makes sense^^

iCi: thanks man, i will :)

some studies and some personal stuff.

cheers,
flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-12-2013

hey guys,

some pencil things.

i think i am onto something important (for me) about line work. I find that the more I try to find good examples of linework I start to see some interesting things. for example when i have the lines that describe a form darker than the lines i use to wrap around the form or to shade the form, i like the result more. that way the form describing lines functions as sort of a terminator or core shadow, like on this page with the nose in the middle:

also it feels more controlled if i start with straight lines and add curves later, like on this page with the ears:

so still i feel that i haven't cracked the code (if there is one), but i feel like a have found another piece of the bigger picture.

cheers,
flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - ramalooke - 02-12-2013

omg, this stylized trees, me love <3333 Awesome stuff!

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-13-2013

thanks man ^^

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-14-2013

a new style exploration this time.
100% opacity and only size jitter and then working with only 3 different colors per element (leafs, bark, grass, earth, stones). after that i added some yellow light and purple shadows on overlay and multiply layer. it gives really graphical results, which i like at the moment. also it helps me to overcome the fear of doing bold marks, which is something i see in a lot of beginners work. not saying i am not a beginner, but i try to get rid of the beginner's mistakes.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - EduardoGaray - 02-14-2013

Hi mate, i really like your lately pencil stuff, makes me want to grab a pencil myself. :)
And you are also studying, which is always a good thing.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-16-2013

yeah, the studio i am working at gave me green light for releasing some pictures i made for them. So here they are, all of them were done for Sofatutor.com.

most (if not all of them) were done with some studying involved. be it for proportions, colors, anatomy or material (or something else i forgot). i really enjoy using reference and doing studies to enhance my work. for example the picture where the two dudes are clacking their beer-glasses against each other looked totally different before i studied a real beer-glass. seems obvious but a lot of people think they know all that stuff on their own. not saying that i am better then those people, I just find it very helpful for me. well anyway i am not happy with every one of them, but i wanted to show them anyways.

crits and comments are more then welcome

edit: another concept for the game

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-17-2013

update on the bird archer
i will look more into the armor soon, when i figure out the anatomy

RE: Flo's sketchbook - EduardoGaray - 02-17-2013

cool stuff man, your animal studies looks appealing, and i´m also loving that arc of triumph.
Yeah, studying is fundamental, how are we supposed to paint something if we dont understand it?

RE: Flo's sketchbook - ramalooke - 02-18-2013

Sweet stuff Flo, go go go ;3 <3

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Warburton - 02-19-2013

nice studies dude, gotta love that stylised tree at the top too. Would be awesome to see abit more imagination stuff as well as all these studies, you seem to have an interesting style, keep it up.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-19-2013

@rama: thanks a lot, i will! :)
@warburton: thanks. i actually posted some stuff for a gameproject some time ago, but since i am doing at least 1 study per piece the studies just add up^^
speaking of which... a little arm study and a small concept for wind-currents that move the main character

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-25-2013

some linework (intentionally rough) for a video about "the sandman" by E.T.A. Hoffmann, which is a great shortstory. People say he has influenced Edgar Ellan Poe whom in turn influenced H.P. Lovecraft, so maybe you guys should check him out.
in short: the young Nathanael always has to go to bed at around 18 o clock because then the sandman comes to their home. If he doesn't sleep, the sandman would throw a handful sand into his eyes and rip them out to feed them to his children. and at one night, nathanael sneaks into the room the sandman is talking to the father and gets caught. this is just the beginning, so a lot of stuff happens after that, so check it out
the rest was done for a video about lizards, mathematics and a cell-core for a biology video.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 02-25-2013

some work on the bird-archer

RE: Flo's sketchbook - ramalooke - 02-28-2013

Birds you say? I wonder how the end result will look like. You won't make your fans wait for to long, do you? =D

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 03-02-2013

some more stuff from work and some sketches. the horse is really creeping me out^^

@ rama: i am going as fast as i can without slacking on the other 2 projects^^

RE: Flo's sketchbook - JonHop - 03-02-2013

Wow! So much hard work since the last time I visited this sb flo! I am really enjoying where the art direction is going for your game with the stylized trees etc. Also the hedgehog and tiger studies <3. I see you are doing it in a few of your things but in some stuff if you add in a cool color to the shadow where the light is warm it can help describe the 3 dimensional form. Awesome stuff, keep it up man!