Crimson Daggers — Art forum
MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again (/thread-8386.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - MagneticScrolls - 09-17-2019

(09-11-2019, 03:16 PM)darktiste Wrote: The problem is not what you pay it what you make of what you receive that count i can sit in a classroom and pay 500$ have the best mentor but still draw sh1t because i don't listen and i don't practice... drawing is one thing but having the theory to push those drawing further is important to. It always a balancing act of application and good grasp of the concept.Of course bad teacher can happen but always make the best of what you receive...

In my opinion you are at a stage where the theory doesn't make sense because your still probably struggling with the artistic vocabulary and you are having trouble because you have no one to rely on to translate the theory into practice.Learning to draw is not simple those who say it is are selling you hope they underplay the time and effort it require.

I was watching modern day james i really don't advise him as a teacher for beginner he teach what i consider to be more advance fundamental he make it seem deceptively simple and he draw in a way that make beginner scratch there head...

Your line are still really sloppy and it telling me one or two thing A.that you have no confidence in your own skill B.You don't know how to hold your pencil C.That your brain and hand are not in harmony.I will be harsh on you here so please excuse me if you can but you need to put way more effort you need to start thinking about what your doing when you do it... it not that your not thinking it simply that your brain and muscle aren't synchronized we could say that your hand is not calibrate the brain say do this but the hand doesn't actually understand how to.Let take an example you might ask a kid to do the number two with is hand but for him it much harder than it is for you.It pretty similar here you still need to develop the muscle memory on how to draw certain type of line like a straight a curve or a serptine line or a zigzag.

Let take an other example at first it seem deceptively simple to make a cercle for a beginner artist but it not easy for them why?
Why is it that a master can draw a perfect cercle in one gesture?

The answers is Muscle memory. It obtain through practice of certain movement.One thing that as help me to be more aware of my line quality was to use a pen instead of a pencil this remove the possibility to erase and this change how you think i recommend you try working with a pen you will start to think alot more about what your doing .

The problem of the beginner is that he think he know how to do certain thing because he saw how easy it was for someone else... drawing seem like such a simple thing when it not.Just like dancing seem simple it not...

I have no idea on how to fix any of these issues. Practice, at least on it's own is not helping so I'm unsure of what to do.

Alright, I started draw a box from the very beginning and here are the results. They look very poor.

[Image: 1-Superimposed-Lines-1.jpg]

[Image: 1-Superimposed-Lines-2.jpg]

[Image: 1-Super-Imposed-Lines-3.jpg]

[Image: 10-Organic-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: 10-Organic-Perspective-2.jpg]

[Image: 10-Organic-Perspective-3.jpg]

[Image: 10-Organic-Perspective-4.jpg]

[Image: 10-Organic-Perspective-5.jpg]

[Image: 2-Ghosted-Lines-1.jpg]

[Image: 3-Ghosted-Planes-1.jpg]

[Image: 3-Ghosted-Planes-2.jpg]

[Image: 4-Table-of-Ellipses-1.jpg]

[Image: 4-Table-of-Ellipses-2.jpg]

[Image: 5-Ellipses-in-Planes-1.jpg]

[Image: 5-Ellipses-in-Planes-2.jpg]

[Image: 6-Funnels-1.jpg]

[Image: 7-Plotted-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: 7-Plotted-Perspective-2.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-2.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-3.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-4.jpg]

[Image: 9-Rotated-Boxes-1.jpg]

[Image: 9-Rotated-Boxes-2.jpg]

[Image: 9-Rotated-Boxes-3.jpg]

[Image: 9-Rotated-Boxes-4.jpg]

[Image: 9-Rotated-Boxes-5.jpg]

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - darktiste - 09-17-2019

What will be important now that you start to be able to see your own error due to working with pen you will need to increase your load of work and aim at correcting the error you can spot i know it repetitive but repetition and understanding how to correctly represent a line going back to a vanishing point is an essential skill it what differentiate a amateur from someone who is on is way to mastery.

I will say your doing great since your clearly trying over and over again the same exercise and you seem to want to improve so.Don't be to hard on yourself baby step.

One thing i also suggest you do is to stop working for a few minute after you finish a drawing come back and look at what you did and try to spot what you can improve.

One last advise would be to try not to go over line more then once to learn to control your line even more you need to be fearless and confident learning to control the speed the angle and the pressure on you put on the pen.To help you before you start a drawing session it totally acceptable to warm up by drawing line and ellipse it help get your muscle memory ready to work.

Do your best that what count.I know all you probably want is to draw stuff that look great but if you spend enough time at the training ground you be able to get better quicker once you attack harder fundamental.

Your result are not poor they are a step toward your goal.Poor result come from not trying your best.Poor result come from not understanding theory and/or not practicing those concept enough.

Poor result does not always mean poor understanding of the concept it can sometime result from fundamental that are lagging behind.The problem is that mileage is often the only way for an artist to open up there eye to what are those fundamental lagging behind.

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - MagneticScrolls - 10-09-2019

(09-17-2019, 10:55 AM)darktiste Wrote: What will be important now that you start to be able to see your own error due to working with pen you will need to increase your load of work and aim at correcting the error you can spot i know it repetitive but repetition and understanding how to correctly represent a line going back to a vanishing point is an essential skill it what differentiate a amateur from someone who is on is way to mastery.

I will say your doing great since your clearly trying over and over again the same exercise and you seem to want to improve so.Don't be to hard on yourself baby step.

One thing i also suggest you do is to stop working for a few minute after you finish a drawing come back and look at what you did and try to spot what you can improve.

One last advise would be to try not to go over line more then once to learn to control your line even more you need to be fearless and confident learning to control the speed the angle and the pressure on you put on the pen.To help you before you start a drawing session it totally acceptable to warm up by drawing line and ellipse it help get your muscle memory ready to work.

Do your best that what count.I know all you probably want is to draw stuff that look great but if you spend enough time at the training ground you be able to get better quicker once you attack harder fundamental.

Your result are not poor they are a step toward your goal.Poor result come from not trying your best.Poor result come from not understanding theory and/or not practicing those concept enough.

Poor result does not always mean poor understanding of the concept it can sometime result from fundamental that are lagging behind.The problem is that mileage is often the only way for an artist to open up there eye to what are those fundamental lagging behind.

I'm still unable to find out what I'm doing wrong. I keep searching but it still eludes me. Still trying with Loomis. I'm about half way through the book and things aren't getting much better.

On the  Draw a box side of things I really messed up the 250 boxes exercise and had to attempt another 50 boxes. Might need to do the entire thing all over again.

[Image: 5-Ellipses-in-Planes-1-R.jpg]

[Image: 5-Ellipses-in-Planes-2-R.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-1-R.jpg]

[Image: 8-Rough-Perspective-2-R.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-1.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-2.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-3.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-4.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-5.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-6.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-7.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-8.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-9.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-10.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-11.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-12.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-13.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-14.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-15.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-16.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-17.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-18.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-19.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-20.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-21.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-22.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-23.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-24.jpg]

[Image: 250-Box-Challenge-25.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-Boxes-1.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-Boxes-2.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-boxes-3.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-boxes-4.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-boxes-5.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-boxes-6.jpg]

[Image: 50-more-boxes-7.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-5.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-6.jpg]

[Image: FWP-55-7.jpg]

[Image: FWP-56-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-56-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-56-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-57-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-57-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-57-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-57-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-58-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-58-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-58-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-59-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-59-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-59-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-59-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-60-1.jpg]

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - darktiste - 10-09-2019

Are you sign in for the draw box critic?

Don't try to represent the head in many angle right away you still have to get more familiar with nailing down proportion.I suggest focusing on the front view,profile and 3/4 view of the head with no tilt at all to begin with.It important that you get familiar with the spacing between the feature of the face if you only copy it won't make a different at all because you will leak the understanding of those feature relation.

Try to simply draw this head 5 time.The 3 first essay you should focus on the size of each element individual element and there placement.The 4-5 time you should be observing the relation of distance between those element but not only that there size different in term of ratio for example ask yourself is it half the size of this or that element .Is it smaller than this or bigger than that... How many time could you fit that element into this or that element.You want to ask yourself question i know it strange but if your not thinking your missing alot of the information you should be capturing.One of the biggest problem for you will be to estimate curvature of a line think about this is it barely curved,elliptic, round or extremely curved to do so you need to visualize imaginary point along that curve the bigger the distance the harder it is to guess.

Copying should be done actively you should be conscious of that internal dialog with yourself.

Once your done try to guess where the feature of the face would go if you can.The more your able to guess and make adjustment to your own estimation the more you will develop and understanding of the relation between each element of the face.Remember to put a verticale center line to help you with symmetry of the eye.If you copy only to copy you will not learn anything of value that would able to make face from your own imagination.Learn to observe and make relation and memorize those relation through repetition.

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - MagneticScrolls - 11-03-2019

(10-09-2019, 08:32 PM)darktiste Wrote: Are you sign in for the draw box critic?

Don't try to represent the head in many angle right away you still have to get more familiar with nailing down proportion.I suggest focusing on the front view,profile and 3/4 view of the head with no tilt at all to begin with.It important that you get familiar with the spacing between the feature of the face if you only copy it won't make a different at all because you will leak the understanding of those feature relation.

Try to simply draw this head 5 time.The 3 first essay you should focus on the size of each element individual element and there placement.The 4-5 time you should be observing the relation of distance between those element but not only that there size different in term of ratio for example ask yourself is it half the size of this or that element .Is it smaller than this or bigger than that... How many time could you fit that element into this or that element.You want to ask yourself question i know it strange but if your not thinking your missing alot of the information you should be capturing.One of the biggest problem for you will be to estimate curvature of a line think about this is it barely curved,elliptic, round or extremely curved to do so you need to visualize imaginary point along that curve the bigger the distance the harder it is to guess.

Copying should be done actively you should be conscious of that internal dialog with yourself.

Once your done try to guess where the feature of the face would go if you can.The more your able to guess and make adjustment to your own estimation the more you will develop and understanding of the relation between each element of the face.Remember to put a verticale center line to help you with symmetry of the eye.If you copy only to copy you will not learn anything of value that would able to make face from your own imagination.Learn to observe and make relation and memorize those relation through repetition.

Yes, I did sign up for it and I'm posting everything for it here as well. I'm having a hard time with it.

[Image: Heads-1-1.jpg]

[Image: Heads-1-2.jpg]

Not sure what else to do with loomis as it requires me to draw a bunch of other stuff unless I go back.
Here's lesson 2 of draw a box

[Image: 1-Organic-Arrows-1.jpg]

[Image: 1-Organic-Arrows-2.jpg]

[Image: 2-Organic-Forms-1.jpg]

[Image: 2-Organic-Forms-2.jpg]

[Image: 3-Texture-Analysis.jpg]

[Image: 4-Dissections-1.jpg]

[Image: 4-Dissections-2.jpg]

[Image: 5-Form-Intersections-1.jpg]

[Image: 5-Form-Intersections-2.jpg]

[Image: 5-Form-Intersections-3.jpg]

[Image: 5-Form-Intersections-4.jpg]

[Image: 5-Form-Intersections-5.jpg]

[Image: 6-Organic-Intersections-1.jpg]

[Image: 6-Organic-Intersections-2.jpg]

RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - darktiste - 11-03-2019

I think you should go back to those intersecting exercise and go apply some line weight to indicate your form direction .

For your ellipse the major point i want to correct would be this if i was you.Try to remember the word accelerate as you draw the ellipse to renforce the idea of the curve going from curve to really curved.I can take sometime before you eye catch what i am trying to explain.

Draw the full ellipse instead of trying to skip ahead your not at this point yet.

I find your texture to be to dark to read as the texture you try to represent in most case.Applying texture is an act of balancing the value and amount of detail you should be able to see your texture from a distance and still be able to tell what it is .If it to busy you lose what your look at and it become a big mass of dark.To create texture you need space between your white and dark if you put no space (no white you indicate that no light bounce on that texture.This is really ever the case except maybe in a scene were you see object at night and therefor shadow are much stronger.You will almost always have light bouncing around on surface even if they are way from the light source.But i am talking about advance stuff here but i think it important you understand this to understand why only black is rare.

[Image: d878b8b2.jpg]