Crimson Daggers — Art forum
DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery (/thread-8481.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - darktiste - 01-26-2019

You should try pen and marker it a great mix use marker for big area of value and pen for line art and form indication.Drawing or not from me all credit to the artist.

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - DESQUOLOR - 01-26-2019

fed - thanks bro <33

darktiste - i actually like how those type of sketches turn out--I'll have to invest in the materials at some point. I've been traditionally hatching to build up patience and line control though.

other things

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Fedodika - 01-26-2019

for your simple asaro heads, youre drawing the cranial, like skull too wide, and the eye sockets dont have a concave shape like youre indicating. the lines on the cheekbone dont slant in, the form a C curve, also watch the demensions, they get narrow or too wide, but keep drawing em and youll notice these inconsistencies

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - DESQUOLOR - 08-24-2019

finished an old sketchbook from front to back but i can't be bothered to post 200+ images honestly. 

currently beating my head over with scott robertson.  here are some recent botched attempts at perspective stuff. really disappointed with myself with these, but w/e. update has been overdue.
most recent attempt:

and older from this month:

old:

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Artloader - 08-24-2019

Wow dude, excellent work on structure, particularly of the body. Your figures remind me of some Krenz Cushart tutorials I saw a while back. Not sure what your plan is but if you're planning to put figures into a scene, maybe start putting in horizon lines and perspective grids on your sketches?

Also I don't see why you said you failed on the Scott Robertson stuff? They look well drawn to me. Those curves ain't easy to construct like that.

Keep it going Desquolor - good luck :).

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - darktiste - 08-24-2019

One suggestion would be to varie the size of your line work to imply form going toward us or away from us.I suggest you take that guy with is fist in foreshorten and you make the contour line bigger on is fist and thinner as it goes away from the viewer you can also try to do varie the thickness between is two leg since one is further than the other one side of the body would have a thicker contour and the other a thinner coutour. I gave the suggestion way back but you didn't seem to have tried it since so i am repeating myself because i think it help sell the illusion of three dimension if your figure are not inside a scene.Maybe this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh-QKKRFD14 can sell the importance of lineweight better than i can.

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Fedodika - 08-24-2019

your cars are not bad!

the pointing dude reminds me of this masterpiece lol
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51kNQNaPWfL.jpg

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - DESQUOLOR - 01-10-2020

@artloader - thanks so much artloader! Krenz is an inspiration of mine for sure. <3 I should definitely try some figures in perspective sometime soon! About scott robertson, well, it's been a bit but I just feel like all the dimensionality is still a work in progress, so it was very easy to get in my own headspace about it. Good luck to you as well!!

@darktiste - thanks man, i definitely want to work on my line quality a lot more, but I've been mainly concerned with my visual library and dimensionality, as well as just working on pure mileage. i'll definitely try to hammer that in before I work on a comic though (which I really want to do sometime).

@fedodika - thank you!

---
i haven't been really active on these forums for a little while, but I'm still very much active with art. It's approaching 2 years since i've cemented it into a daily habit.

life has gotten a lot better for me, but I still aspire for big dreams. part of realizing those dreams is to just get really fucking good, which I fully feel I can do. As the new years settle in, I've set myself with some soft goals such as casting ego aside and allowing myself to enjoy the process of making art fully as well as finding fun routines to just draw every day. I spent a lot of time caught in a loop of simple exercises, which weren't bad, but didn't advance me as far as something else could.

In general, working on mileage, fun, and expanding past comfort zones this year. Less overthinking, less overanalysis, just plain drawing. I've been too strict with my process and haven't allowed much fun to seep in, which has been hindering me in so many ways. I'm over it.  Having a fearful mindset is paralysis. You need to be willing to make mistakes to learn and that's just what i'll do.

here's a little bit of what i've been up to:

old:

newer stuff:

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - darktiste - 01-10-2020

For what i have seen you have a tendency to look for the most good looking model you can.I think you would benefit from drawing more diverse range of beauty.From old to fatty i think it important to be able to stay way from the canon of beauty as to make your world more contrasted.I can't really blame you for liking pretty face but it something to be aware of.

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Artloader - 01-10-2020

Hey Desquolor, I really like the 3Dness of you sketches, solid stuff man, keep going!

I am really interested in what you say about letting fun seep into your art journey, that has been on my mind as well, do you have any tips on fun? One thing I've thought of is to come up with a personal project and to base my drills and exercises on that.

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Fedodika - 01-10-2020

Wow Desquolor! some of those heads are really coming along!!

Keep going hard af on those, but really great work on those :)

I think you know whatchu gotta do, so i wont harp on it. Get that mileage in gesture too, im loving the new structure showing up in your anime faces nice stuff!

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - DESQUOLOR - 04-15-2020

@darktiste - thanks for the critique, i'll keep that in mind for sure.

@artloader - thanks so much bro! i think i'm still failing at the fun thing ahah. so I'll have to get back to you on that :P i guess i'm finding hard work to be more rewarding though.

@fedodika -- thanks brother! You know it!

I've been meaning to update this for a bit, but I always feel lazy at the time. Ahaha. Anyway, here's some stuff. It's out of order. most recent are the hampton-esque studies.

I'm still figuring things out. Right now I just know I want to put in some serious mileage.

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Rotohail - 04-16-2020

Nice to see you are still going strong! I haven't heard from you for a while ha. Alright! Plenty of studies! Ball rolling on anatomy, form drawing and some perspective! That brings memories, I need to do anatomy again. Man your stylized characters always have nice linework, but I wish I would see more of those from you. What are you working on as a personal project?

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - chubby_cat - 04-16-2020

Good to see you post again, DESQUOLOR! Killing it with all of those studies. The studies you're doing can feel quite tedious at times, but the mileage more than pays off in the end. Keep it up!

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Fedodika - 04-16-2020

heheheheh MOOOOOOOOOOARRR

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - ognjiša - 04-23-2020

I am finally here big boy! Keep your grind up!!

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - xelfereht - 07-24-2020

Hey there, long time,
I had a quick browse of the sketchbook.
lots of nice studies, but.. and im sorry, ill admit i didnt read much, im a look at the pictures type..
it makes me curious to ask, what application are you aiming for with your work?
are you also making significant time sink pieces?

please dont take offence to this, I just hope everyone's getting what they want out of their efforts
so im curious what the larger goals are for you.

anyway, good stuff

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - yaketymac - 08-19-2020

Dude Im loving your sketchbook! As I was browsing through some of the new and old there was a lot you have done that's helping me. Some of the perspective stuff you did was dope

RE: DESQUOLOR's sketchbook -- journey to mastery - Dominicque - 01-21-2021

Bro, long time no speak! Nice studies, as always! Lovin' the plants pictures. (studies?)