Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook (/thread-8791.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 09-09-2022

prob gonna study how lighting works around hand next time
also temperature changes and more lighting

[Image: LJ34nN8.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - darktiste - 09-09-2022

Doing great doing great.

The only thing i don't really like is the confusing yellow spot i don't think it necessary so i check to see how it would look without it.

I did a small paint over i thought a few place were to dark to bring in the cool factor in play so i brighten up the face i exaggarated a bit more the lightining brightness and i added a few splash of highlight on the leg face belly face.I added a bit of specular highlight to bring up the staff and added some specular to the hair metal piece.

I did this to try to create a value hierarchy which help bring certain area to the front.

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 09-16-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:23 PM)darktiste Wrote: Doing great doing great.

The only thing i don't really like is the confusing yellow spot i don't think it necessary so i check to see how it would look without it.

I did a small paint over i thought a few place where to dark to bring in the cool factor in play so i brighten up the face i exaggarated a bit more the lightining brightness and i added a few splash of highlight on the leg face belly face.I added a bit of secular to bring up the staff and added some specular to the hair metal piece.

I did this to try to create a value hierarchy which help bring certain area to the front.

thanks for the advice. yeah i think i still wan tto improve on my lighting

tried to push some foreshortening in this one. still a struggle to do. gonna do more studies after this one
smug elf
[Image: gHoOXtE.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - JosephCow - 09-17-2022

that one is really cool! I agree the foreshortening could use a little work, just some tweaks to the hand and the sword to really make it look like its coming towards us. I also would say I'm not sure I read smug from his expression. I see it a little bit in the mouth, but the brows make it read as sad or tearful. I think smug expression usually has the asymmetric smile as you've done, eyelids half closed, and possibly the one eyebrow raised (smarm brow). but having the inside of the eyebrows go up usually makes someone look sad imo.

Really nice execution of the lifhting and scenery, though. Your paintings always have really nice painting technique and color.

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 09-23-2022

(09-17-2022, 12:08 AM)JosephCow Wrote: that one is really cool! I agree the foreshortening could use a little work, just some tweaks to the hand and the sword to really make it look like its coming towards us. I also would say I'm not sure I read smug from his expression. I see it a little bit in the mouth, but the brows make it read as sad or tearful. I think smug expression usually has the asymmetric smile as you've done, eyelids half closed, and possibly the one eyebrow raised (smarm brow). but having the inside of the eyebrows go up usually makes someone look sad imo.

Really nice execution of the lifhting and scenery, though. Your paintings always have really nice painting technique and color.

thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was going for a look where it looks like he's so confident with his skills he's concerned for your own life if he fights you

as for foreshortening i agree it needs to be worked on and i will be doing some studies for it before the next piece

first comission piece i've done.

[Image: g4FGSKV.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 10-01-2022

practicing portraits again this time wiht loomis method
[Image: 1j0ZAc0.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 10-02-2022

study for some arms/ hands but then got demotivated to do anything more on the hands

. sometimes i dunno why i even bother seeing how AI produces such beautiful art
[Image: Bc2dsyx.png]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - darktiste - 10-03-2022

Hey i been there i think we all going to have to learn to deal with it some of us do this because we enjoy seeing wereself grow some other do this because they want to show something or for other reason you just have to figure out what important for you and ride the wave you are on... i have been playing with some Ai stuff recently to see what was all the buzz about so i can feel what you are experiencing it certainly bring alot of fear or questioning for some people but i still think it part of growth to be face with new tool to master not everyone adapt to change and not everyone as to be on the same wave.We artist have always been unconventional in a certain way but when it come down to business it business.It can certainly shape the way you work and think.Time you enjoy doing something is time you enjoy doing something it depend if you do it for the process or for the result is it personal or is it for someone else there is many thing that shape why we do the thing we do.

I still see beauty in the world just because there is an Ai who can do beautiful thing doesn't mean there is no more beauty to share or that there is no value in doing something that let you express yourself in a positive way.

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - cgmythology - 10-05-2022

Great updates here! Your character designs are generally well done and detailed which I really enjoy. They also have a very solid quality to them in terms of visual depth which makes them more natural looking, and it's something you seemed to have improved on with your latest studies. Keep it up!

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 10-15-2022

(10-03-2022, 05:17 AM)darktiste Wrote: Hey i been there i think we all going to have to learn to deal with it some of us do this because we enjoy seeing wereself grow some other do this because they want to show something or for other reason you just have to figure out what important for you and ride the wave you are on... i have been playing with some Ai stuff recently to see what was all the buzz about so i can feel what you are experiencing it certainly bring alot of fear or questioning for some people but i still think it part of growth to be face with new tool to master not everyone adapt to change and not everyone as to be on the same wave.We artist have always been unconventional in a certain way but when it come down to business it business.It can certainly shape the way you work and think.Time you enjoy doing something is time you enjoy doing something it depend if you do it for the process or for the result is it personal or is it for someone else there is many thing that shape why we do the thing we do.

I still see beauty in the world just because there is an Ai who can do beautiful thing doesn't mean there is no more beauty to share or that there is no value in doing something that let you express yourself in a positive way.

Yeah its ridiculously disheartening seeing people who can't even draw or have any grasp of fundamentals  post their AI art and get more attention than real artists who are actually putting in tons of time and effort into learning the skill. I do agree with you though. I still think many companies will still see the value of art created by humans especially if their skills are strong enough and I don't think AI is there yet when it comes to creating 100% customizable art.

I still don't want to adapt and have to learn AI art as of now because I am too used to doing everything manually, but maybe my way of thinking and doign things will become obselete soon.

(10-05-2022, 11:44 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Great updates here!  Your character designs are generally well done and detailed which I really enjoy.  They also have a very solid quality to them in terms of visual depth which makes them more natural looking, and it's something you seemed to have improved on with your latest studies.  Keep it up!

Thank you for the kind words. Your art is always looking great as always as well

decided to push  myself a little. first started out as a sketch I would throw out then decided to complete it all the way through. goal was to go for a hearthstone like style. but still realistic enough to pass as some other game card art

[Image: xjFepCJ.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - darktiste - 10-15-2022

Those are pose taken from a series of book called ART MODELS life nudes for drawing painting and sculpting by maurreen and douglas johnson it a 10 book series.

I share this with the idea that they can inspire you to explore pose a little further in your work.I think the last few piece you had were kinda static.But i think you made an effort in foreshorting so i gotta give you that.I just think that if you are going to go as far with a drawing you might aswell take care of giving it ''more life''. 

One notion i want to bring up is contra posto which is to say the balance in the body.Look at the feet and how each other part play it role to balance the weight above it.

Last advise is if i were you i would look more into an artist call wayne reynold and study is work when it come to character design and posing.

*Write me a message if you feel uncomfortable with nude in your sketchbook and i will delete this reference.

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 10-27-2022

(10-15-2022, 09:19 PM)darktiste Wrote: Those are pose taken from a series of book called ART MODELS life nudes for drawing painting and sculpting by maurreen and douglas johnson it a 10 book series.

I share this with the idea that they can inspire you to explore pose a little further in your work.I think the last few piece you had were kinda static.But i think you made an effort in foreshorting so i gotta give you that.I just think that if you are going to go as far with a drawing you might aswell take care of giving it ''more life''. 

One notion i want to bring up is contra posto which is to say the balance in the body.Look at the feet and how each other part play it role to balance the weight above it.

Last advise is if i were you i would look more into an artist call wayne reynold and study is work when it come to character design and posing.

*Write me a message if you feel uncomfortable with nude in your sketchbook and i will delete this reference.

thank you for the suggestion. Yes I definitely ythink my characters still look too stiff and im trying to learn how to add some action /liveliness to them.

commission piece i did for small money. Anyone know any small companies I can apply to to get some consistent work? I feel doing these pieces is pushing me out of my comfort zone and learn more things faster.

[Image: WUwEUe2.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 11-08-2022

commission piece. sexy priestess posing around the undead in burial grounds/tomb
[Image: 2URCQXY.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - darktiste - 11-09-2022

Super great commission.One thing i want to point out is the principle of repetition and giving hint of object origin.

Ok so what i mean is let say that leaf near her hair there is little to no other leaf to establish a proportion relation this is why repetition is a great tool to establish your scale making sure element that should naturally repeat in a landscape repeat is important such as rock, tree and vegetation.You wouldn't put just a single blade of grass.

Now for object origin you include leaf yet it a very desert like environnement if you don't put a single tree in the background it not making alot of sense for the viewer the more time he look at the piece.

For work you can sign up to artstation and look into the studio section if you know what type of game or art style might be better suited for you to find work. Making yourself a profile and a porfolio would also increase your chance to catch someone eye but the best would be to find where you want to go instead of waiting them to come to you.So definitevely do research on the studio section but remember to target studio that make sense applying to apply just won't work if your work doesn't reflect what they are know for.So research is important sadly to break in you also wouldn't hurt you to have contact that are already working in the industry somewhere make lips service for you if not absolutely find out more about there compagny and if you don't have any contact well i would say you need to start to be more socially active meaning going to convention putting your work there and making commission and learning more about what role you can fill.

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - Damien Levs - 11-10-2022

I really don't have much input to give you. I just really find your work inspiring. Especially your studies right now. I love the "Stay a While and Listen" piece. Deckard Cain spinning vinyl just seems to work.

Try not to let the AI stuff get you down. It's actually the AI stuff that got me drawing again. I was playing with midjourney for a while, made an instagram account and started to get a lot of likes etc...it does come up with some really cool looking stuff. However, I feel like it just wasn't satisfying enough within myself. There was no sense of achievement, no challenge, no determination or passion. I was just doing it just for 'likes'.

It was when Kim Jung Gi sadly passed and the AI community immediately started training AI on his style. Within hours of the news breaking. That really pissed me off for a number of reasons. It also gave me that nudge of "Hey, you're not achieving anything, so you're taking the easy route". That's the moment I deleted all my A.I accounts and picked up my pencils again.

You're working hard and you're good now. You've dedicated time,  patience and persistence. You have developed a skill that many wish they could have. No one can take that away from you. Not even an AI.

Keep going! You're stuff is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - cgmythology - 11-20-2022

Excellent updates! Loving your two latest pieces, great color choices and use of light. Compositions have a ton of depth as well, very impressive!

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 11-21-2022

(11-09-2022, 12:25 AM)darktiste Wrote: Super great commission.One thing i want to point out is the principle of repetition and giving hint of object origin.

Ok so what i mean is let say that leaf near her hair there is little to no other leaf to establish a proportion relation this is why repetition is a great tool to establish your scale making sure element that should naturally repeat in a landscape repeat is important such as rock, tree and vegetation.You wouldn't put just a single blade of grass.

Now for object origin you include leaf yet it a very desert like environnement if you don't put a single tree in the background it not making alot of sense for the viewer the more time he look at the piece.

For work you can sign up to artstation and look into the studio section if you know what type of game or art style might be better suited for you to find work. Making yourself a profile and a porfolio would also increase your chance to catch someone eye but the best would be to find where you want to go instead of waiting them to come to you.So definitevely do research on the studio section but remember to target studio that make sense applying to apply just won't work if your work doesn't reflect what they are know for.So research is important sadly to break in you also wouldn't hurt you to have contact that are already working in the industry somewhere make lips service for you if not  absolutely find out more about there compagny and if you don't have any contact well i would say you need to start to be more socially active meaning going to convention putting your work there and making commission and learning more about what role you can fill.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, the leaf touch was a last minute thing I added to add some depth to the painting but then I got super lazy with keeping the size/proportions consistent.

I have applied to some independent projects/studios on instagram and did get a reply back saying they are interested but haven't heard back for a week , so we will see how things goes.

(11-10-2022, 10:02 AM)Damien Levs Wrote: I really don't have much input to give you. I just really find your work inspiring. Especially your studies right now. I love the "Stay a While and Listen" piece. Deckard Cain spinning vinyl just seems to work.

Try not to let the AI stuff get you down. It's actually the AI stuff that got me drawing again. I was playing with midjourney for a while, made an instagram account and started to get a lot of likes etc...it does come up with some really cool looking stuff. However, I feel like it just wasn't satisfying enough within myself. There was no sense of achievement, no challenge, no determination or passion. I was just doing it just for 'likes'.

It was when Kim Jung Gi sadly passed and the AI community immediately started training AI on his style. Within hours of the news breaking. That really pissed me off for a number of reasons. It also gave me that nudge of "Hey, you're not achieving anything, so you're taking the easy route". That's the moment I deleted all my A.I accounts and picked up my pencils again.

You're working hard and you're good now. You've dedicated time,  patience and persistence. You have developed a skill that many wish they could have. No one can take that away from you. Not even an AI.

Keep going! You're stuff is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

thank you for the kind and encouraging words. Glad I can do some inspiring. AI is definitely something on my mind constantly when I do art and soemtiems I feel like I am wasting my time trying to hone my skillls that may eventually get replaced by AI but I will keep going until that day happens and doing art becomes completely redundant at that point.
(11-20-2022, 04:15 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Excellent updates!  Loving your two latest pieces, great color choices and use of light.  Compositions have a ton of depth as well, very impressive!

Thank you. Your paintings are looking rlly nice as well as usual.

another commission piece. was rlly challenging working  on this one with the lighting and painting the dog.
[Image: FRPeJ4R.jpg]

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - JosephCow - 11-24-2022

This last one has really cool lighting. It has a really solid sense of space as well. I'm assuming it's like the person's own character in the battle of hogwarts, or something? I would be pretty concerned about the castle being on fire but they seem pretty confident

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - cgmythology - 11-30-2022

Great work with your latest, I absolutely love how you handle perspective in your images, always very dynamic. Great work with the figures and lighting too!

RE: Handsome Korean's Sketchbook - handsomekorean - 12-04-2022

(11-24-2022, 03:53 AM)JosephCow Wrote: This last one has really cool lighting. It has a really solid sense of space as well. I'm assuming it's like the person's own character in the battle of hogwarts, or something? I would be pretty concerned about the castle being on fire but they seem pretty confident
thank you, yep, it was a portrait commission of someones friend and her dog.

(11-30-2022, 02:32 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Great work with your latest, I absolutely love how you handle perspective in your images, always very dynamic.  Great work with the figures and lighting too!

thank you, I used perspective tools created by a russian developer but I Can't seem to find the video anymore where he has a link for the program. I'lll look for it though.
Lighting was taken from screencaps from one of the hary potter films

heres the latest commission piece i did. think I did too much work for the moeny I ws paid for this one, but the goal was to cereate another portfolio piece to get bettte clients. managed to land a small gig for a kickstarter named alpha clash. Will post the art done for them as soon as iam done.[Image: fjD6bbr.jpg]