Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Hey there - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+---- Forum: INTRODUCE YOURSELF (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-2.html)
+---- Thread: Hey there (/thread-900.html)

Hey there - Micropen - 05-28-2012

I'm Chandler. I'm 18 and recently graduated highschool (diploma received 8 days ago). I've always been a casual artist, sketching and doodling on anything school-related. My last year of highschool though, I got much more serious and focused harder on my art. I've recently switched to digital and got a tablet. I'm fairly new to it but I hope to get a grip on it soon. I love art, but I'm not sure if I can be good enough and competitive enough to persue a career in it. I'm struggling with the decision to either go to college and get an art degree, just say home and hone my art skills until I don't even need an art degree to get work, or just cut my loses and go to college or the job core for something else entirely.
No matter what though, Art will always be apart of my life, so I decided to make this account (on the advice of brenthollowell) to meet like-minded people and to simply enjoy art.

RE: Hey there - Brookz - 05-30-2012

very cool, start strong and start early. everyone here will help you a ton

RE: Hey there - Jonesoda - 05-30-2012

Hey Man, I'm 18 to, a little behind in school so I'll be graduating this next school season after summer. I have been sort of the same, I've only worked traditionally until this last year when I bought a wacom tablet. At first It was pretty frustrating learning things, But after alot of tutorials and learning I got the very basics down. Only until the last couple months or so have I started some studies and seen some real improvement.

I've had the same dilema as you to. I enjoy art but I dont know if I can/will be good enough to get a decent job in the field I want. I asked a concept artist Doald Yatomi via email about concept art and illustration and how I couldn't decide wether or not I should pursue it, here's an insert from his response "If you have always liked to draw, more than likely you will always
love to draw, if that makes sense. And if you do what you love to do,
you will eventually do it really well, and make a living at it!"

That stuck with me and gave me a lot of motivation. I've heard game concept artist's are a pretty competitive position. Even if I cant get that exact position for some time, I can still try to improve and work towards it, I might get some other position I might enjoy.

Sorry for the big response, Just seemed you are dealing with the same things I have been.

Hope it helps!
Russ