Jeso's Stair Case To Awesome
(05-27-2020, 01:36 PM)Jeso Wrote: Today's work. Trying to find some appeal, in the faces that I draw. Appeal > impeccable anatomy.
Plus armor studies.
I totally agree with you on the appeal> anatomy thing.  One tip for the armor is that you need to "bevel" it.  the way its drawn in these studies has it looking almost like a piece of paper rather than a sheet of metal.  Games like world of warcraft and Diablo have a really chunky approach to armor that I think would be good for you to look at

Keep up the good work, those faces are looking nice.
(05-27-2020, 03:13 PM)sgavrilles Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 01:36 PM)Jeso Wrote: Today's work. Trying to find some appeal, in the faces that I draw. Appeal > impeccable anatomy.
Plus armor studies.
I totally agree with you on the appeal> anatomy thing.  One tip for the armor is that you need to "bevel" it.  the way its drawn in these studies has it looking almost like a piece of paper rather than a sheet of metal.  Games like world of warcraft and Diablo have a really chunky approach to armor that I think would be good for you to look at

Keep up the good work, those faces are looking nice.

You are completely right.  I usually dont care about giving thickness when im studying design but, It would be a better habit if I do add it regardless.

Today I started working on a personal project, im redesigning RE2 characters . Wont share them probably, until im done with each full character concept.

On top of that today I challenged myself to draw a character from imagination within 1 hour.  I gave myself the theme of 'young witch modern day'. This was the result which i was pretty satisfied with. Again, if I hadn't spent this past couple weeks just studying structured drawing, I dont think I could've been able to do this. So pretty excited about tangible improvement.   : D

Cheers for more improvement to come.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ha ha ha, well not to worry I won't ask of you to write any essays lol. I think from the last batches, guy with mohawk the first take with bigger eyes, more meaner stare, I personally liked it more. Since you are doing things that appeal to you, and appeal is subjective, what do you find appealing? Specifics? You seem to have a variety of eyes, and shapes so are all good to you or are some better than others?
Magical girl is fun to watch gesture wise and foreshortening, the weakest to me would be the hat, the arms while the gesture is nice the underlying form feels a bit wobbly but since they are covered with sleeves, lot that can be hidden in there ha ha.
Hey Rotohail, I dont have exact answers to your questions.  Im just trying to play with style and try to remove my art from complete realism so that it becomes appealing. And what is appealing? who knows, appeal comes in different looks, but im going to find out.  

Here's some sketches from yesterday.

Attached Files Image(s)

I wasn't asking what is appealing, but what you find appealing, emphasize in you. But is alright man ha ha, I'm just trying to figure out what are you going for to think on how to give you feedback. Like what are you aiming at, all abstraction begins on how you perceive something which is very personal ultimately.
For example your bodies and linework feel quite nice to me, I would only start playing around with line weight at this point, but your face proportions and expressions don't work for me, so I'm trying to see what you like so I don't take over with my opinion on your stuff. I can also just back away and no harm done! ha, just let me know either way!
Ah I see where you are coming from. Well, tbh my faces also dont work for me lmfao. Im trying to transition at the moment, from painting realistic faces, into drawing... simplified/a little stylized  faces. And is fuckind hard.  So is gonna take a while before I can feel comfortable with the faces im trying to draw. But thanks tho!

Attached Files Image(s)

" A Month in an artshell" is an idea I saw another artist do long time ago. I thought it was a good idea,  specially for people who are studying art all the time, specially if its digital.. sometimes you feel like you are not getting anything done, you are not doing anything, you are not doing enough... maybe the month goes by and you see no real improvement yourself. 
To put all your work into one image, i find it very motivating, and kinda just like self proof of.. wow i guess I did do something this month, like here is my work, all put together in one place.

I feel like sometimes we do studies, and then.. eventually we just delete the file, cause it was just sketches.. doodles.. studies... not finished work. And myself personally, that sometimes feels like.. i clicked delete, on the effort I produced. Like i just tossed it aside. Ends up feeling like it never happened lol.  Anyways just thought it was a cool idea, and might just put these images together every month, and keep them for ever just as.... i dont know.. memories, archive of effort?  or something haha. Is probably more efficient than saving 50 files every month for ever.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think it's a pretty good idea, artshell. Ha. You did quite a lot damn! Last batch male faces on both sides look great to me, one feels like ryu from SF maybe? The other is realistic, feels nice. In general all faces look better on this last one except one but again is my personal feel, so without knowing which you like the most ha ha. Have you tried more crazier things like caricature or other styles, maybe some western/european comics, more abstract?
(06-02-2020, 08:27 PM)Rotohail Wrote: I think it's a pretty good idea, artshell. Ha. You did quite a lot damn! Last batch male faces on both sides look great to me, one feels like ryu from SF maybe? The other is realistic, feels nice. In general all faces look better on this last one except one but again is my personal feel, so without knowing which you like the most ha ha. Have you tried more crazier things like caricature or other styles, maybe some western/european comics, more abstract?
Hey man thanks! Trying to get better at  them. I dont know which i like the most, atm i think im better at more realistic faces, but im curious. What do you think I need to work on? Regarding heads, what weaknesses do you see there in general?

And no, I havent tried crazier things.. I might just for shits and giggles but, atm im just trying to improve my fundamental head drawing and also get better at the japanese style.

also just a quick doodles today. Working on stuff i cant show yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hmm, well two things that crossed my mind is that in some you have the eyes a tad to close to what I'm used to see in anime, they usually tell you to give enough space to fit another eye in there (I guess considering perspective) but some go larger and some closer, I prefer larger spacing or wider enough to fit one.
Another was that you seem to do a lot of arrogant smiles or smug smiles? And sometimes smiles with eyes that don't seem to follow the smile, what I call fake smiles. Those unnerve me a bit personally. I depends on the character you are going after of course, figther types, villains can use all of those, but I'm not sure now if you are pursuing that or not. So that's the kind of stuff I'm asking about ha ha, what are your interest lol.
From the last batch cat-man portrait looks very promising, hand with rope is the weakest.
Hahahah yeah man, those smirks...  Im super weak at facial expressions, I need to work hard to get out of that shit.  Cheers!

Attached Files Image(s)

Some doodles, quick studies, Ibuki drawing from imagination   pretty light stuff, i been feeling pretty sick this week. feel like shittttttttttt  i might see the doctor in a few days. But whatever. Cheers.

Attached Files Image(s)

A really nice poem i found.

"Keep Going

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you’re trudging seems all up hill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest if you must—but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don’t give up, though the pace seems slow—
    You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up
    When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
    And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out—
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit—
    It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit."

Don't quit. You closer than you think.

The hardest part it not necessarly hearing those nice word it believing in them.As artist we rarely ever believe people when they tell us we are good.Because if an artist know generaly that if they start to get comfortable with the praise there a chance there going to stagnate.What i find the most difficult is probably setting time outside of art to recharge and get inspiration from life taking more time to observe and research thing to influence your work.It crazy what a long walk away from your desk can do to get you back in the zone.When you have made drawing an habit it can be like quitting cigarette when you go without drawing for a long period of time.It a dangerous addiction that can push some to burn out.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Nice sketchbook here, i really like your hand studies and the way you simplify anatomy
you're making great work! and that poem was the best, I copied it and put it in my windows desktop, really needed to hear that too!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
That poem is incredible! Things have been soo hard recently, and I have felt like giving up on several occasions. The poem sums up my feelings a lot though. We have to push through and keep working to get to the end of the tunnel!

Some current studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

I really enjoy your anatomy studies! The hands, the torso and even the (anatomical) faces - there is already a lot of weight to them, that you can sense when looking at them! However, if you draw a very simplified cartoon face or shading on top, this great effect gets a little diminished. Don't get me wrong! I don't have a problem with reduced styles! ( I draw them myself!) I just think it's a shame that all of that weight in your drawings (which I consider a big strength in your art) gets a little lost then. Maybe you can meet stylistically in the middle to get the best of both worlds? TB Choi, an artist I know from Instagram and Artstation, once had a nice painting with transitions from highly stylistic to more realistic. Maybe you can find inspiration (Link) in it.

Anyway! Keep up the great work! :)
Thanks for that poem it is amazing! I need to hang that on my wall or something for when I feel like quitting or am just tired. Its really inpiring to see how much you're grinding for someone like me who's trying to get back into serious art study. If you don't mind me asking are there any specific resources/tutorials you're using to try and get better, or are you just self directing your studies? Awesome work so far, keep it up!