Fedodika the Koala
It would be a good idea after i review you're exchange if you would diversify your source of artist you study from.So that you can have a wielder bank of ''style'' to draw from.I invite you to do the following write on a paper atleast 10 artist you want to be influence by if you can't there a chance that your limiting yourself to a particular style that might be good if you want to sell your unique style.But if you want to work for client you want to be able to adapt to there stylistic demand so it help to study from a wielder pallet of artist.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Love the painted study dude, especially how the garland is out of focus at the rear and in sharp focus nearer the front. Some nice lost edges and the skin tone is really nice!

Keep going fella!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Darkiste: having tons of styles doesnt help; Ive been through many phases of trying different styles and them being different on its own is nowhere near enough to get jobs. Its all about fundamentals, if you have that, emulation of any style is extremely easy. im currently studying jeff watts, the arist who drew the anatomy book i have Raul Moreno (who's tough to find much else on.) and im growing very quick from just those two, so once i get my fill of those two ill study someone else! Theres just so much to learn from the both of them that i cant rush through it, and the information is so high calibur, the more i learn from them the more i realize how great they are!

Artloader: Thank you very much my dude, the only peeves i have with that piece are quite tiny, and i can forgive them unless i really focus in on them. its mainly the values i chose on the shoulders and the rendering on the back of the hair, but that hair is blurred anyways, and the neck is accurate to what my reference was so neither bother me too much :)

Had a really beautiful model today, i left early because i totally fudged the proportions on the past pose. I need to practice drawing heads in the context of the figure more because they end up getting off proportion as soon as i add other things. Its a bad habit from the fluidity of digital. Life drawing is all about process, it has to be super tight until you master it and can draw intuitively.

Attached Files Image(s)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Alrighty, so im feeling a lot better about my poses, now i need to look more into design and how to make nicer shapes. So il be studying some leyendecker and reading up more on character design. 

Couple things i was reading about shapes like and contrast; for instance, my gay cowboy here which i did no planning on, my adding rippled clothes probably doesnt go best with his character. A character that is more sinister would probably have more ripped clothes, im just doing it as a copout because i havent practiced drapery in a while ;). I guess ill try to do another cowboy type to apply what i study tomorrow so i can not get too random and keep it simple. Ill also start with an ideal and find a face before drawing the pose, and add the costume on in a planning phase.

Also workin up these roses from watts, has been quite fun. Using the Zorn palette, but i cheated a little and added some cerulean blue since i was struggling to mix such mauve greys. Im letting them dry before i go and lay in more petals since its hard to work wet into wet when youre going for very delicate textures and especially big white globs of paint. Oil painting just makes sense to me from all the digital, i mean its different but way more fulfilling and people around me seem to put more value in it since its an image that you can hold in your hands. 

I was also trying to get 3d coat to work and even bought it and it had worked before just fine, but now its not it just keeps crashing when i open it. All this despite having a totally smooth 2 hr session sculpting yesterday. Ive tried everything they recommended in support and nothing worked, ol Fedo luck lol. I really am going to have to get a new rig at some point because i really want to do 3d. I suppose ill just keep using this time to improve in 2D and hopefully make enough to invest in a better computer that can handle 3d.

Attached Files Image(s)

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
It easy to think you know how a style work. But copying an art work doesn't teach you what special about a style it extensive comparaison of the different artwork that define the style and the thinking behind.Without comparative study your understanding of a style would be pretty limited.

But i am just saying this to make sure you know it but i am pretty sure you know that.

My Sketchbook
Darkiste: Yeaaa thats why tomorrow im gonna look into the seven types of folds and try to internalize them.

Finished up these roses, did some leyendecker studies, realized doing that that he is using a language with fabric im not familiar with. So from that im gonna go and study erik gists drapery stuff and try and wrap my head around it. Im just totally out of the element here so any education on drapery is gonna help alot. I already understand the diaper fold with 2 tension points but i literally know nothing about the others. 

Also Juan El Salvador Des Diablos to practice a few things... namely clumping drapery, but thats another fold im not too familiar with. I feel like my work is becoming coherent but it lacks style and design and its driving me NUTS!!

Attached Files Image(s)

loots of fabric today, loots of struggling, and a leyendecker study, i know heads too small, cool shit tho. Digital cloth stuff is from memory, im starting to see patterns in leyendeckers stuff of the folds hes choosing, its fascinating how you can combine them :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Weight and tension those are the keyword you need to have in the back of your mind when inventing fold.Tension build around joint and solid object.

Here a video i think you will enjoy arming yourself with to tackle this challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1eR1rcP...1eR1rcPlHc

My Sketchbook
Darkiste: im jealous of james efficient learning; He essentially did the same thing i wanted to do before becoming an artiist, which was playing extreme metal. Fortunately for him, he'd gotten good at teaching himself guitar and coming into art, it was very methodical and he just did the right things and got good very quickly.

Music was the same way as art for me, just years of stabbing in the dark, going as hard as i can. It's how i do anything really. I'm better at acting and charisma than i am at anything else, and that will probably always be the case. 

Today was a huge headache, stumbling with daz3d for at least 8 hrs. Lots of research like, trying to highlight what it is i want to see, what would i want to draw. This stiff cassandra sketch is all i have to show for it. I have that ol dillema of my sketch for the gesture is way more dynamic than the model could be. 

I didnt really succeed at any of this, these straight up suck but the process was very educational. Just really beating my head in with those essential things and how important they are. I think i need to draw from imagination more and find a good style, I dont feel like anything i draw is inspiring and sometimes it looks correct but its not inspiring. I guess thats just more hours in the chair

Attached Files Image(s)

Perhap you seen me in one of is stream nice to know you watch him.He still pretty unknown i believe.
He enternaining to watch but i found is approch to be leaking in construction not that he leak talent.But listning to him is like watching a master paint and not understand how to get there.I mean by that you don't see him really pay is due to the fundamental since he a gi man style guy it more the kind of guy you watch for the waw instagram type thing i am sure he can teach.One thing we can learn from james is how he seem to figure out thing by drawing from imagination but i think he as reference it just that it not shown really if he doesn't he must have a insane amount of mileage or understanding of book like scott roberston.Scott robertson is in my eye the only person who really teach in depth principle that lead to understand how to create anything from imagination.Sadly i would say james visual mental libreary is limited in my opinion but people seem to enjoy is style even if he repeat the same thing over and over.I am still aiming more toward design so i understand that you make choose when you start to teach people and that some aspect can be neglected in favor of a deeper understand some other aspect of drawing.

You should try to collab with someone on a project if working on your own doesn't inspire you.Working in a vaccum if there is no hype for what you do can be demoralizing but working with an other artist is inspiring because you mix influence and motivate each other.But it much hard to find a direction but it a good training to see how you react to a working in team.You could find someone and try to like come up with a project and a deadline and that might be something challenging and enjoyable you got nothing to lose you will still learn alot by doing so i believe.

My Sketchbook
Darkiste: i mean inspiring to others, theres a kind of energy you get when people really dig something; i got it only once with my skull piece a few years back. Pros are constantly making inspiring work, thats what companies want, that consistent "it" factor, makes ideas come to you, keeps the clicks on the thumbnails, thats how you know someones good

Slowly workin on weak spots, like how i struggle with profiles, and keeping heads in proportion with the torso, and... being neat with some caligraphy shenannigans. gligers take on it has got me moist lol; also some more imagination things ill need to do, im noticing more about perspective lately. Like i had started on one of these skulls from imagination and did something i never did before. I had started in one perspective, drew the other 3/4 in a different perspective, then realized things werent aligning.

Some of these things, like come to me when im falling asleep, like my mind tightens my understanding of the drawings im making. Sometimes napping after drawing feels more productive, even twice as productive than if i had continued for an hour. hard to know for sure, improvement is all about thoughts, its all inside the mind. drawings this big process of pushing and pulling amongst things more concrete. also sunflowers... got a lot of stuff written down i wanna accomplish.

I wanna learn scott robertson shit, i wanna draw stuff from anatomy books upside down like Ryan Lang used to do, just get so much better at observation and recall, lovin it every step bruv

Attached Files Image(s)

I tweaked the leg to add more perspective i also change the angle fo the arm a bit.Just a few tweak you could do yourself by using the lasso and a brush.Other than that nothing major i would just try to experiment with line weight maybe if you keep the thing ''unrealistic''.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Darkiste/horn: thanks for the writeups i definitely could have got reference for that. I was banging out a design for fun, was thinking the more J scott campbell approach to the crazy long legs with little muscle definition and obvious C curves poking out. I plan on doing some more designs soon but they will also be more whimsical and more feeling around to find what it is I personally want to see

Studying Grello some more, since i learned so much doing this before. Going to go through the quicksketch thing on watts online for both head and figure for a second time as well. I'll definitely skip a few videos though, as i dont think i learn as much from the longer efforts, its more the quick use of the abstraction and gesture im interested in than how to shade. 

I have my old PS2 hooked up next door and i occasionally pop in a very old game, almost 20 years old for some nostalgia. I found this old squareenix game called Front Mission4 that made me appreciate the mech side of things. The game also has some very nice portrait work for the characters, hand painted. Basically that reminded me of grellos stuff and how i wanna draw like that quick but effective style. Just make sure ya save because old RPGs never let you skip them cut scenes ;)

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok Definitively some issue on the form of the arm. Skin sag normally on the upper part of the arm where gravity pull the fat down sorry i didn't learn my anatomy vocabulary yet but i can still see some issue just think of the under arm as the quivalent of the love handle it really fatty part of the arm specially the upper arm underside.I think you could try to tighten your cross haching skill like how on the boob there not wrapping around but only in one direction... i also find the crosshatching to be noisy you don't need a ton of cross hatching to indicate volume.I know this is not a final piece but just to save time try to describe more with less.

My took here was to enchance the costume so that there an area of rest for the eye and some contrast to focus the attention where there more detail.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Good job with the head studies from different angles dude. I always find the view from below really tough. The lower eye lids always tend to be straighter than I expect because the curve of the lower lid is foreshortened when viewed from below. Just something to keep and eye on so to speak :).

Keep loving the journey Fedo!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Oh, wow. I don't have any critiques -- just wanted to note how crazy your progress is when looking from the start of this sketchbook up through where you're at now. It's like night and day! I particularly like when you do traditional studies -- the ones where you're drawing the heads/faces with circles -- that's the Reilly method, right? I'm only acquainted with it in passing, but my interest is piqued after looking through how you were constructing your heads. (Might have to learn a bit more about it. Seems helpful!)

Keep up the great work! I'll be sure to pop by again to see what you're up to going forward!

Darkiste: Thanks for always schooling me :)

Artloader: Lovin the journeys all i got!!

Riley: yes, Riley rhythms, or the watts rhythms, which are more advanced. To get them you have to get the drawing course on watts atelier for a month and download the workbooks. You can find frank rileys original rhythms on google which are honestly not great, but the get the idea.. I think they're drawn by this guy john fahrgosso or something, and he wasnt very good at drawing but knew frank riley and wrote a book about it. The point of them is to copy and memorize the swinging rhythms from feature to feature and once you copy them enough you start to visualize them, like an invisible grid.

It helps massively for aligning features and building a solid face quickly. The figure rhythms do the same thing, again rileys are cryptic and hard to understand, but watts are very robust and worth the time and money to study. Theyre extremely satisfying to lay in once you get the hang of it, and watching jeff do it is very important. There are two friday night lives from jeff watts on youtube where you can watch him and the boring as hell Erik Gist (whos extremely good tho) do quicksketch and demonstrate these techniques. They are quite obscure and not many people know them, but they are very worth the time and investment :). Watts has the best instruction on it, i cannot find very much information on it outside of that aside from some mediocre youtube things. 

And do check in, i post pretty much every day but it gets iffy on fridays and saturdays since im doing street caricature to pay bills since well, I dont have much a portfolio to get any kind of work online, nor do i feel im good enough to make one currently.

Alrightey, nother pit stop on the road to hell with ol fedo. Got an art show to prepare for next month, were ill be sellin some figure drawings hopefully. All money will go to paying for cell phone, internet, hospital, and watts billz. Gotta crank it out and do a good job, so im back on quicksketch for round 2. Already feeling better about em, gonna be painful, but everything i do izzzzzzzzzz

Attached Files Image(s)

Think of the hair as a mass we are intuitively tempted to draw every single hair but i would say this is not gonna be esthtically pleasing or fun to do.As i like to remind my artist fellow people we are not trying to draw reality to it extreme we are merely giving the viewer eye the information they need to fill in the gap.Depending on the density of hair and the looseness of the hair you can ajust to make it the grouping more dense or more airy i would say.This of the multiple group of hair as ribbon overlapping each other they follow the form of the head and they reflect light alot depending on the color of the hair.One exercise i would encourage you to do is to draw the ball of the head with no feature and to focus on the hair.I think it totally worth to spend more time learning to draw hair because the face is generally where people look at first so everythiing that around this should have also some extra care in my book.If i was you i would pay attention to the more loser type of hairstyle you seem to understand how grouping work when there in poneytail fashion.Think of value and light also if you choose to follow my advise.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Darkiste: yea it was easy for me to forget that the hatching on the computer never has the same look as with a pen. Theres just something a tablet cant do that a pen can do, and i gotta use bigger brushes for hair instead of gross tiny ones , it just looks better. But yea hair shapes are not something ive payed much attention to but i did today for sure and now i cant be unaware of it

So jeff watts said something along the lines "if youre hot for an artist, just take a month, two or three, and just copy them to get a feel for caligraphy, etc." The whole time i doing the quicksketch poses i just wanted to get back to masters of anatomy and john grello studies. I absolutely love those styles so im gonna try and finish the book before the years over and draw as much grello as a i can because he draws faces exactly with the level of realism and simplicity i wanna see, and its mostly invented. 

These drawings are studies in the purest sense of the word. Just memory, then fix, one of them actually turned out a little more handsome the reference i'd had, but lost the charm of the character he had drawn. These are after grello, which ill be doing a lot more of till i can do a page of sexy heads, that and finish these sunflowers up , gotta go in and tame those edges tomorrow

Attached Files Image(s)

I’ll definitely look up the stuff you mentioned. (Especially curious about Watt.) I’m also going to look up the guy you mentioned in your latest post, Grello, because everybody loves sexy heads. (Or, if not, they should.)

Continue the awesome studies and I’ll be interested to see how the sunflowers painting turns out! (It’s always fascinating watching traditional paintings come together.)