Artloader - Sketchbook
Nice studies  :D

It is interesting to see you proceeding your journey.
The past days seem to be productive, hope you learned a lot from that kettle design and the study of a shack.
Blender..... Meh i don't know if i should love or hate it.... but it never left the loading-screen:(

I think some focus on edges could be useful, keep up the studies Thumbs_up
@antmora: Thanks dude!  I sure aim to keep it up!

@AlexShi:  You're not stupid :).  I should have just called it Blender.  Cycles is one of the render engines inside Blender.  The kettle wasn't too difficult if you watch the right tutorials.  I can recommend BornCG on YouTube, he's got loads of nice up to date vids.

@sansReAnne:  Thanks and now I can say boom boom boom - I did some of those notans on my phone :).  Yeah the purple lady with the exposed construction was just laziness on my part but thanks :).

@Knopfkater:  Thanks for dropping by dude - yeah I feel like I learned a lot about painting from those studies.  Also thanks for the advice on edges, I will divert some of my effort into that area.

So here are a few more notans done on my phone:

And I added a glowing ring to my kettle in Blender:

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Slow progress on Amit's EDR course - a few more Notans on my phone:

And I finally got around to trying out my acrylics - here's a WIP - looks really naff to me at the moment (wow I'm really bad at mixing colours!) but I will press on and see what happens:

Here's the ref:

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Those early stages usually look naff, and it can really throw your confidence! Keep pushing and assume it will be rubbish! Then it'll be a nice surprise when there are nice parts in it!

One thing that helped me with traditional stuff is to think in warm and cool rather than hue. So if you have your green mixed, and are painting some green next to it, think about if you want it warmer or cooler and adjust the mix accordingly. Not sure if you can glaze with acrylics but dark and shadow can be done by glazing with blue. Good luck! I look forward to seeing more!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@Jyonny: Sounds like great advice dude - thanks :). I will try that warm and cool thing and read-up on glazing with acrylics.

CD Sketchbook

Adjusted the colour on my rabbit in acrylics a bit, @Jyonny apparently you can glaze with acrylics using some kind of medium.

Doesn't quite have the painterly look I was after, maybe I need more paint on my brush?

And I'm enjoying using traditional media at the moment so here are some pencil sketches:

CD Sketchbook

Those bunny sketches are sick! Love the threedimensionality. Keep them coming!

Cool! Your bunny sketches look good! I like how you did one from imagination after studying them.

@NoodleInBox:  Thanks!  I've been trying to think more in terms of simple 3D forms when I'm sketching - I find it really helpful to simplify in that way.

@Axrel:  Thanks - yeah I think it really helps me to retain stuff if I try to apply my imagination right after a study.

I've been getting my arse kicked by traditional acrylics - I couldn't get the right value structure in here.  I struggled to mix colour and yet get the right tonal value with the paint.

I might try the underpainting technique next where you establish your value structure first and then glaze the colour over the top as Jyonny suggested.

CD Sketchbook

Bunnies can b real jerks, they steal all my leaves n shit

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
@Fedodika: From the point of view of a koala such as yourself - I can totally understand that rabbits can be jerks!

I've been having great fun with real life paint and brushes.  I also painted on canvas for the first time ever and it put a huge smile on my face - the texture - wow!

I watched a preview video from Watts Atelier about how they do monochromatic studies first before they get into using full colour in their painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YW3Fo4yyk

Man that Jeff Watts guy can paint!  I love watching him move the brush about on the canvas!

Here's my attempt at a monochromatic study:

I hadn't quite finished with this study but I ran out of white paint so had to stop.  I think I read somewhere that there are a few colours that you need more than others and white was one of them.

It's gonna be a few days before I can get some more paint - can't wait!

CD Sketchbook

(02-14-2017, 08:57 AM)Artloader Wrote: @Fedodika: From the point of view of a koala such as yourself - I can totally understand that rabbits can be jerks!

I've been having great fun with real life paint and brushes.  I also painted on canvas for the first time ever and it put a huge smile on my face - the texture - wow!

I watched a preview video from Watts Atelier about how they do monochromatic studies first before they get into using full colour in their painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6YW3Fo4yyk

Man that Jeff Watts guy can paint!  I love watching him move the brush about on the canvas!

Here's my attempt at a monochromatic study:

I hadn't quite finished with this study but I ran out of white paint so had to stop.  I think I read somewhere that there are a few colours that you need more than others and white was one of them.

It's gonna be a few days before I can get some more paint - can't wait!
 It's good to see you having fun with traditional media dude. I'm actually just digging into the online program at Watts and going back to charcoal sketching.
 It's a hugely refreshing break from the tablet and the constant grind of working on the "portfolio pieces". Keep up that curious spirit artloader!

Hey thanks for dropping by DQ! Yeah charcoal looks great fun too :). Have you seen Nathan Fowkes charcoal portraits? Bea-u-tiful!!

You gonna be posting your charcoal stuff man? Would lo e to see them!

CD Sketchbook

The dog painting looks pretty good mang, traditional mediums are quite difficult D:
Lots of good stuff happening here, hope you update soon :D

I would love feedback on my Sketchbook
I LOVE the traditional stuff Artloader. The value dog came out really good! You should definitely continue the value stuff. I'm doing a lot of traditional painting as well at the moment. It helps so so much to understand value, brush strokes, materials etc. If you ever want to get into Watercolor/Gouache check out Nathan Fowkes on schoolism. He talks a lot about the stuff you seem to struggle with.

Anyway, keep it up! Love what you're doing

@kvSketch:  Thanks for the encouragement mate :).  I agree, traditional mediums are difficult - but great fun too :).

@miracoly:  Thank you for the kinds words my friend :).  Yeah I'm definitely gonna continue with the value stuff in traditional media.  I just checked your SB man - looks like you're doing great with the traditional media too!  I'm finding that it is forcing me to be more patient with the process and think more carefully about what I'm doing.  Also Nathan Fowkes is awesome - I have seen his courses listed on Schoolism and noted them for future reference.  I'm following Amit's Evironment Design Rocks course at the moment on this forum so will finish that first before I take on anything else - but thanks for the tip-off anyway :).

OK so I've pushed the puppy painting a bit more and calling it done:

And continuing with the EDR course, here's my first 2 Value Notan Study (done in acrylics on watercolour paper):

CD Sketchbook

Great work with all these trad media studies! Nice work on the notan. I wonder what it would look like if the red glows in the original were considered white in the notan study? Toothbrush spray would work pretty well to do a quick black bird-scatter at the top of the towers too.
Nice work with the puppy too
Have you thought about putting your SB in your signature so people can find it easier?

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
@aks9: Thanks for the kind words dude, I pushed the notan to 4 values and ended up doing what you said about making the red glows white and spraying the paint with a brush was great fun!  I've also added a link to this SB in my signature - thanks for the tip :).

Also started 3D modelling an anthropomorphic rabbit for my friend's project.

CD Sketchbook

Yeeeeah, that study is really looking awesome! Really nice how you did those splatters around elsewhere too :) keep it up

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
Really liking those value studies you've been doing :). Reminds me that I need to work on them myself.