Sketch Goulash!
Lightbulb 
Heyo!
Art-ing around. I decided not to upload anything before the last month to more accurately track the progress. You can see my old CA skectchbook here:
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2152878
The approach I started about a month ago was to target different parts of the body to focus on. I use an open figure drawing session I go to as a sort of "lab time" to sort out what I've learned and practiced through the week
-started with the head, then torso, now I'm on arms.
Daily livestream here:
http://www.livestream.com/heliux
10 pm -- 1 am Central US ; 3 pm - 6 pm London GMT

I'd like to plug into a group or get a partner, or something for some sort of collaborative learning, so send me a PM if you're interested and wanna hang out the new kid on the block! :D

See you all on the forums!
-H.

*Here's some figure drawing!

[Image: randomreferencepainting.jpg]

I've been on planning on doing an exercise where you get a skeleton and put some sculpty clay over the top of it to indicate the muscles in their 3D forms, but as you can see the skeleton I got is so horribly inaccurate as far as the anatomical comparisons of the bones it would be counter-intuitive to the process.
I'm planning on snagging another model off amazon, but right now I'm a little strapped for cash...sooo more Loomis and figure studies at TAD on Saturday. Plus, there's this for you hungry fellow die-hards:
http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

[Image: scaled.php?server=708&filename=201205261...es=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=10&filename=gesturesp.jpg&res=landing]

A piece I did right before my summer job in June. Good to be back in the swing of habitual progression.

[Image: scaled.php?server=96&filename=wolfmother...es=landing]
Hey there Heliux, good studies in here and nice gestures. :)
thanks for the encouragement man!
(08-07-2012, 10:01 AM)Dennis Kutsenko Wrote: Hey there Heliux, good studies in here and nice gestures. :)

Practicing some hands with Hogarth. I need to do more from memory and analyze this page to understand the discrepancies.
I got some sculpey in today so I can finally get started on my laying muscles over skeleton exercise. There's so many things I wanna learn simultaneously! >:] ...so I'm just gonna pick a couple and roll with it!

[Image: handsf.jpg]

Figured I'd show you guys what I've been up to the last few days. Please excuse the crappy quality; these were taken with my phone. I'll come back in a couple days with some illustration scans and photos of figure drawing.

Moving through anatomy of the arms and legs with David Rubens "The Human Figure". Have yet to bust out the scupey, but I have most of the muscle insertion points down. I'd be cool to make some sort of flashcard deck with Anki to test on muscle/bone names and insertion points.I'll give you guys links in the event of. Study on my friends! o_-

-Heliux

[Image: img0102ygc.jpg]

[Image: img0096ety.jpg]

[Image: img0101kl.jpg]

[Image: img0103zx.jpg]
Saturday figure drawing for November (by week)
-3 Hour sessions
...apologies again for the bad quality!
[Image: FigureDrawingNov12.jpg]
Nice work on your studies, also your figure drawings are awesome

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Thanks man! you too! Lets both work hard and get awesome! Th_096_K
(10-03-2012, 03:11 PM)Jonesoda Wrote: Nice work on your studies, also your figure drawings are awesome
thanks for looking at my sketchbook! =) i like your studies keep pushing man!

Trying to work out my general workflow. I always try to pencil, then color layers, but somehow they always seem to jumble together and I just end up merging everything down. After placing them side by side I see a variety of errors, but I think its important as a learning experience.
I lack a lot of construction knowledge and end up pushing a contour back and forth instead of creating graceful sweeping lines. I also tend to think in blocks of color, rather than objects as simplified objects themselves. Hmm.

[Image: wouldyouliketoknowmore.jpg]

5 tones value study
[Image: 4_tones_study_by_heliux-d5gx9ii.jpg]
I did this for Sickbrush's 30 multi-ethnic portraits to ascertain different features. Still pushed edges around and it took a lot longer than anticipated due to a lack of understanding of again, construction.
I'd like to go back and knock out what's left, but want to keep pace with the class for sure. Linework puts me pretty out of my element since I tend to push globs of color around, but the advantages seem too good to ignore.
I worked 3 doubles back to back this week, so I'm pretty wiped; what better time to get to more work?! 026
Unfortunately, while attempted, the lasso-selection tool assignment is still pretty raw so I don't think I'm going to post it until its fleshed out a bit more.

[Image: 11994151884_7e30e1c8a0_c.jpg]
Soooo tired. Anyhoo! Here's what I've been working on for CGHub's avatar redesign challenge. Definitely a lot of fun. Still a work in progress of course, so I'll update it and get some better sizing in the next couple days. I'm trying to decide how much time I want to invest in the background. I'd be nice to knock out some more portraits. 154218d4

[Image: amaakiravatar.jpg]

I got offered another job today. I think I'm going to take it, which would make 3 total. Though I'm a bit hesitant as I don't want to interrupt my studies, I think the advantages could put me in a better position of my my long-term financial goals. I get to start female portraits tomorrow! ^___^
derp for no updates. trying to up my volume of work with time constraints, so some more recent stuff isn't what I'd call complete, but yup, getting quicker.

[Image: armstudy2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0115.JPG] [Image: IMG_0116.JPG]

[Image: rilox.jpg]

[Image: birdmahn.jpg] [Image: landscapev.jpg]
studies.
[Image: birdstudy.jpg]
[Image: helmetstudy.jpg]
Been a little bit. My computer broke right before Christmas and didn't have the money right away to replace it, but just got the new ones in earlier this week; I'm back! :blush:

[Image: danieldaylewisjpg2.jpg]
good studies! Keep going.

[Image: bertrandrussell2hr.jpg]
[Image: thethingb.jpg]
[Image: selfportraitp.jpg]

ConceptArt.org's last character of the week
[Image: chow320heliux.jpg]
last self portrait. 3.11.13
trying a new approach

[Image: selfportrait311.jpg]